RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   anybody tried this or thought about it? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/1856635-anybody-tried-thought-about.html)

z style 05-29-2004 04:23 PM

anybody tried this or thought about it?

all the rc trucks and cars have a single disc brake or maybe two and they are always right by the trany. i'm sure im not the only one that has thought about making disc brakes all around at each wheel. the only thing i can think that will make it hard would be how to make them actually work and have 4 extra servos all conected to one slot in the reciever would be hard because of moutning them and the mount of batteries to power 6 maybe 7 servos.

rclement 05-29-2004 08:19 PM

RE: anybody tried this or thought about it?

Well I think I would actually be out driving my Savage around than trying to figure that one out. [:-][sm=thumbdown.gif]

bkmademedoit 05-30-2004 01:18 AM

you wouldnt need 4 extra servos if you had a hydraulic system like in a 1:1 car, just something to push the fluid to close the little tiny calipers.

madmaniac 05-30-2004 11:47 AM

This has already been made on 1/5 sclae cars and even on an 1/8 onroad car.

nitro_D 05-31-2004 03:54 AM

http://www.rapid-racing.co.uk/technokit.htm
go there if you want 4 wheel disk brakes, not for a mt though but a technokit 1/5. ill keep looking for a disk brake for a mt.

Spudnik 05-31-2004 08:15 PM

i am fine with one disc on my truck:D

cooch1189 06-01-2004 12:29 AM

yea really why would you want it the dual disc brake mod stops just fine it would be cool yes and prolly stop very nicely but it sounds like it would be mostly just for show

ask52 06-02-2004 01:30 AM

if you wanna buy a new body every few tanks then but a 4 disc brake on a savage. You'll be on your lid more then on the tires!

8000ft 06-02-2004 01:57 PM

it's tough enough getting one dialed in. i would much rather have two seperate discs, one for front, one for back. they could work off the same servo but have seperate adjustments so they could be set up to have the back lock up a bit more so that the front diff isn't allways taking the abuse.

Shogun1122 06-02-2004 04:31 PM

I cant believe you guys are so negative about this guy's idea. I think it would be great it they made a reliable, easy to set up, hop up like this. Im sure that the brakes would be tuneable so that it wouldnt flip on its lid every time. The breaks now work good, but suck cuz they are so hard on the drive train. Im not saying that 1:1 and rc models are the same but could you imagine if every time you tried to stop your 1:1 you threw it in park, cuz that it kinda what your doing with the savage. Plus it would make it more realistic with 4 wheel hydraulic disk brakes. I also think that trying new things is what makes this hobby fun, so i say go for it!

Spudnik 06-05-2004 12:32 PM

i am not downing it, i am saying that i am fine with one break. If he could work it it would be great cause buggies have 3 diffs

nitroussavage 03-14-2005 12:38 AM

I THINK THAT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE A SETUP LIKE THAT ON MY SAVAGE MAN I WOULD BE DOING BURNOUTS AND IT WOULD LOOK SO BAD IN THE WHEELS

thunderw0lf 03-14-2005 03:32 AM

Interesting idea. That be kinda fun getting the proportioning valve dialed in just right. Now would you also give them vacum assist too or just use a servo to give all the hydraulic pressure? Or does a glow engine even produce enough vacum to make coming up with a vacum boost setup worth it?

neil.jb 03-14-2005 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: 8000ft

it's tough enough getting one dialed in. i would much rather have two seperate discs, one for front, one for back. they could work off the same servo but have seperate adjustments so they could be set up to have the back lock up a bit more so that the front diff isn't allways taking the abuse.

without a centre diff this would be impossible, the front and rear wheels are driven together (no centre diff) so cannot spin at different speeds, im affraid that unless you are prepared to run your savage RWD or somehow manage to put a centre diff in there (at the cost of the 2 speed) then it would be completely pointless to have 4 individual disk brakes

frank88 03-14-2005 03:47 PM

It would look realy cool just seeing 4 individual brakes, but I'm pretty sure that real monster trucks use a center brake right off the tranny. I think its because it adds more power or something

geo8498 03-14-2005 07:34 PM

Maybe it'd be simpler t do it with a pull-pull system. I wouldn't doubt something could be engineered from airplane sort of stuff.

brokenstuff 03-14-2005 08:33 PM

id rather see someone build a small generator that attaches to the spur somehow to generate power for the servo's. than 4 wheel disc brakes im tired of batteries

the whole point in nitro is to not have to end the day cause batterie's are dead [:'(]

but thats just me

frank88 03-14-2005 08:53 PM

hey, now theres a cool idea!

ed260z 03-15-2005 12:29 AM

4 disk brakes would put less strain on the tranny. 1/5 scale cars already use a similar system using cables to actuate the calipers.

I've already tried to figure out how to do it, and I've got the theory down. But the actual application is complicated to say the least.

Although my truck runs pretty reliably now, I'm sure I would end up doing a brake job of some sort every few tanks. Not something I'd be looking forward too.

But if someone could make it work reliably I'd buy it.[8D]

"id rather see someone build a small generator that attaches to the spur somehow to generate power for the servo's. than 4 wheel disc brakes im tired of batteries"

How about those bike generators for the lights?

brokenstuff 03-15-2005 01:15 AM

i was thinking about that earlier but how much hp would it rob?? these motors dont put out alot. guess it just comes down to trying it and then getting it to generate 6 volts

in school we built a little generator we would spin it by hand and once it started spinning it would create its own power and run itself. but i dont remember how we built them. see im thinking more along the lines of making the spur the actually generator

problem with both these ideas is if the spurs not spinning power is lost.

so a more sound idea would be to make the generator create enough volts to keep the battery's charged. not actually to charge them but more or less make it like an alternator on a car.

we need some engineers

:D

ed260z 03-15-2005 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: brokenstuff
problem with both these ideas is if the spurs not spinning power is lost.

so a more sound idea would be to make the generator create enough volts to keep the battery's charged. not actually to charge them but more or less make it like an alternator on a car.
Exactly, we would need a generator that keeps the pack trickle charged.
And we would also need one that spins freely, this would make it inefficient, but it will be rotating a lot faster than on a bike.
I'm no engineer, but I think it would need to put out a charge rate of 150-250Mah @ 3-6 volts.
What do you think?
:)

neil.jb 03-15-2005 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: ed260z

4 disk brakes would put less strain on the tranny. 1/5 scale cars already use a similar system using cables to actuate the calipers.

I've already tried to figure out how to do it, and I've got the theory down. But the actual application is complicated to say the least.

Although my truck runs pretty reliably now, I'm sure I would end up doing a brake job of some sort every few tanks. Not something I'd be looking forward too.

But if someone could make it work reliably I'd buy it.[8D]

"id rather see someone build a small generator that attaches to the spur somehow to generate power for the servo's. than 4 wheel disc brakes im tired of batteries"

How about those bike generators for the lights?

i already told you, it wont work that way, a 1/5 scale car is rwd, a savage is 4 wheel drive so unless you replace the tranny with a centre diff you will NOT be able to change the brake bias

brokenstuff 03-15-2005 07:05 PM

sounds like you know more than me LOL

ima buy a bike generator and see what it puts out houw would i measure mah?

frank88 03-16-2005 04:09 PM

hey, what about just buying a cheap 6v solar panel. and just puting under an unpainted part of the body. I've seen them from 8-20 dollars. I think I might just by a cheap one and see if I could do it, b/c building an alternator just looks like to much that can break and the panels are said to be flexible and or waterproof and can take a lot of heat.

brokenstuff 03-16-2005 10:54 PM

so ed figured out this alternator for rc cars yet or what? ;):D