RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   any known flaws of the savage 25 rtr? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/1928171-any-known-flaws-savage-25-rtr.html)

tjaf 06-23-2004 09:42 AM

any known flaws of the savage 25 rtr?

Hi,

I purchased an HPI MT2 2 months ago. I knew that there was a batch which had some assembly errors (in the diffs and the slipper clutch) I checked before firing the truck up. Now my brother bought a Savage 25 RTR. My question is, are there some things I should check before firing this truck up (apart from checking screws and applying thread lock)? Or are there no common assembly flaws with this truck (I should hope so)?

Thanks.

cretin 06-23-2004 09:54 AM

RE: any known flaws of the savage 25 rtr?

when i got mine, i tore it down almost completely for mods, and didn't see anything that struck me as odd or crappy. that said, i suggest that your brother does tear it down and do some of the more necessary mods. the 4 spider mod and ofna mp steering servo saver mod are basically mandatory for a savage.

Wizz Kid 06-23-2004 10:20 AM

i didnt find any flawswhen i started mine up, just make sure you do the break in though!
hows that MT2 treating ya? my friend wants to get one.

tjaf 06-23-2004 10:41 AM

OK, thx. I don't know what does mods ar but I'm looking into it.

About the MT2, it's a very nice truck. Can't tell you if it's the best 4WD 1/10 truck out there, but I like it. Truck seems well build (if you get the diffs sorted out and properly build the slipper clutch). I haven't broken anything in the 2 months I own it (I don't act all crazy with it, but I do use it as it should be used :) ). Out of the box it does something like 50km/h (32mph), I think (on the website of hpi, they say something about 66km/h (42mph), but that is whith the optional 15T pinion and 49T spur). The T-15 is a nice engine (very easy to start, very easy to tune, holds it tune good, an very reliable), but there are defenitly more powerfull engines out there. The stock air filter and stock pipe are not the very good. I hear that people who changed those got a lot more out of the T-15. But I haven't done it yet. If your friend does buy the MT2, I suggest he checks the diffs and slipper clutch (go the nitro stadium truck forum on RCU and look for a thread titled "tips for hpi mt2 owners". It contains links where it is explained what exactly to check).

Wizz Kid 06-23-2004 11:43 AM

wow, thanks. i got the ribbed pipe and motorsaver for my savage and i thought they helped a lot and not too expensive. plus the MT2 stuff is hard to find but cheap. i know there is stuff in neweramodels so ill have to help him there. is there and extra tools, parts needed for the MT2?

tjaf 06-23-2004 12:13 PM

I bought the version without the electronics. But there is also a rtr version (which doesn't include a glow plug igniter). The box came with a little wrench for removing the wheels. There were also 2 different sized hex wrenches. You would still need a wrench to remove the glow plug, that's all I guess. Also the box came with a few spare parts. So no need to buy extr parts to just get it running.

cretin 06-23-2004 12:50 PM

well, i didn't mention ALL the mods, just what i feel are absolutley necessary. not everybody needs to spend the coin i did to have a good time.

the stock diffs have 2 spider gears. the diff cups are made to hold 4 gears. have your brother do himself a favor and do this mod. the steering servo saver is junk on the stock savage. have him get the ofna monster pirate servo saver. it's a bellcrank steering system. toss out the stock servo saver and make a better drag link from the servo to the bellcranks. he'll also need the ofna clutch bell shim kit. savage-central can give you (him) all the information needed.