RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   What is ushaully the first thing to break on your Savage? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/2620453-what-ushaully-first-thing-break-your-savage.html)

slug_nut 02-04-2005 11:48 AM

What is ushaully the first thing to break on your Savage?

What have you broke so far on your Savage?

Supermoto-guy 02-04-2005 11:56 AM

RE: What is ushaully the first thing to break on your Savage?

The original Roto-Start broke within the first tank of fuel, The "Under warranty" unit they gave me broke on the 3rd tank of fuel, The 3rd one broke about 3 weeks ago with the same problem so HPI sent me 3 free ones. Just broke one yestarday when the Gear in the motor locked and stripped the Roto start shaft. So the gear IS(!!) the motor broke. The one-way bearing fried after about 10 tanks of fuel. My Left front wheel cracked (Didnt hit anything but could be the cold weather, ((Going from Warm indoors to cold out-doors). The servo-cover broke and took one post with it (replaced under warranty), Fuel tank post broke in a crash, Primarry gear broke (said it was improper assembly and was replaced under warranty). 2 Speed gearbox broke when i upgraded the BRAKE!!!

lildebi 02-04-2005 12:25 PM

the first thing to usually go is the plastic spur gear either from heavy bashing or not the correct mesh or an act of god then the steering servo will take a sh#@$^$^& on you just when your about to kick your buddy's ass with his new truck that you had to tune for him cause he's a smuck and cant tye his own shoe lasses let alone tune his own truck.. then after replacing the plastic spur gear with a 30 buck steel gear from robinson racing you be just amased as to how that new spur gear chewed the ssh@&^$@ out of your clutch bell.. so there you have it have a nice day:(

Frost_ 02-04-2005 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Supermoto-guy

The original Roto-Start broke within the first tank of fuel, The "Under warranty" unit they gave me broke on the 3rd tank of fuel, The 3rd one broke about 3 weeks ago with the same problem so HPI sent me 3 free ones. Just broke one yestarday when the Gear in the motor locked and stripped the Roto start shaft. So the gear IS(!!) the motor broke. The one-way bearing fried after about 10 tanks of fuel.

Dude, you are SERIOUSLY abusing that thing... I had a SINGLE one-way bearing and hand-unit last 12+ gallons and span 3 engines... the last engine was a .27, and it lived for the 3 that I had it in the truck....

Ya know, if it twists or you feel it kick, it is flooded, and not just your imagination. Don't hold the button more than 2 seconds either. You are absolutely at fault here, you KNOW that it is set rich when new for breakin and the manual TELLS you to avoid flooded situaitons with it.

That said, most people seem to lose wheel hexes (and generally this ruins the inside of the wheel) first from loose hardware. The stock wheels are kinda weak in this area anyway.

Supermoto-guy 02-04-2005 12:45 PM

Dude, Ive had more cars that you could count. A few buddies have had the same problems with thiers if not more. NO abuse on my basher but I do abuse my REVO and its about on par with stupid things going on it. Ya, I know all about Fludding etc,etc and what the "twist" is telling you. The fact is, And HPI will attest, The starter and start assembly is Garbage on these things. HPI even told me that there have been NUMEROUSE bad batches that they never re-called. Makes you feel comfortable dont it?

ORIGINAL: Frost_

The original Roto-Start broke within the first tank of fuel, The "Under warranty" unit they gave me broke on the 3rd tank of fuel, The 3rd one broke about 3 weeks ago with the same problem so HPI sent me 3 free ones. Just broke one yestarday when the Gear in the motor locked and stripped the Roto start shaft. So the gear IS(!!) the motor broke. The one-way bearing fried after about 10 tanks of fuel.

Dude, you are SERIOUSLY abusing that thing... I had a SINGLE one-way bearing and hand-unit last 12+ gallons and span 3 engines... the last engine was a .27, and it lived for the 3 that I had it in the truck....

Ya know, if it twists or you feel it kick, it is flooded, and not just your imagination. Don't hold the button more than 2 seconds either. You are absolutely at fault here, you KNOW that it is set rich when new for breakin and the manual TELLS you to avoid flooded situaitons with it.

That said, most people seem to lose wheel hexes (and generally this ruins the inside of the wheel) first from loose hardware. The stock wheels are kinda weak in this area anyway.

ThunderbirdJunkie 02-04-2005 12:56 PM

Dude, Ive had more cars that you could count. A few buddies have had the same problems with thiers if not more. NO abuse on my basher but I do abuse my REVO and its about on par with stupid things going on it. Ya, I know all about Fludding etc,etc and what the "twist" is telling you. The fact is, And HPI will attest, The starter and start assembly is Garbage on these things. HPI even told me that there have been NUMEROUSE bad batches that they never re-called. Makes you feel comfortable dont it?

No abuse on your BASHER??? what's the point?
the only thing I've seen tear up with any regularity on the Savage is that spur gear, and 99% of the time it's from improper mesh.

Supermoto-guy 02-04-2005 12:59 PM

No, The basher is the back yard and Fun truck, I have my Modified the i beat the crap out of.

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

No abuse on your BASHER??? what's the point?
the only thing I've seen tear up with any regularity on the Savage is that spur gear, and 99% of the time it's from improper mesh.

mziadeh 02-04-2005 01:25 PM

Refer to this post:
Most commonly broken thing on Savage...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Most...2578634/tm.htm

Just recently I broke my motor mount and engine crankcase from jumping a pile of sand the size of a Ford Excursion and landing really bad. I think I broke the case mainly from the abuse I put the truck through but also from heat weakening the case because it happened right at the end of the tank and I had run the truck through about five tanks that day. So I bought a new crankcase for $30.00 and the aluminum heat sink motor mounts $30.00 and we'll have to see if that helps.

cardriverx 02-04-2005 01:54 PM

well the first thing that went on my savy was the diff, i would reccomend the 4 spider gear upgrade. the next thig to break was the steering servo, get one with metal gears. thats basically all ive broke so far, this is one tuff truck!

RedBullSSG 02-04-2005 01:55 PM

The very first thing that broke on mine was my oneway, replaced it twice. Mostly due to the cold weather, and flooding. I didn't go to far with it and in reality, the last two didn't break at all, they just got wet and slip. I can feel when it floods but even then it is to late, as by then the fuel has gotten the bearing wet. I did away with the oneway and made a solid hex with set screw to replace it, have n't had a problem with it since. As far as the ROTO unit itself, it should be blipped like you were pull starting the motor, and held very loosely in your hand to that it can twist if it gets stopped.

The second and the only real thing that broke on my truck was the front bumper mounts, where they screw together with the bumper. The screws broke, so I put some fine thread alloy screws in, but by then it had been weakened and busted out the side of it. I attribute this to the cold also.

No, spur gear problems as of yet, as i know how to mesh properly and get off the gas just as I land.

cardriverx 02-04-2005 01:59 PM

my screw on the bumper mount broke too, i just havta get a new screw.

bashking 02-05-2005 07:22 AM

redbullssg is right. I know HPI sent out some dodgy rotostarts and thats not the users fault when they break but if you abuse them they do get broken. There is a good reason for that though if HPI made a roto start that was indestructable it would have so much torque that people would be ripping their 1 way bearings to pieces left right and centre also you would be putting a lot of stress on your motor which is the most expensive part to repair. If you are gentle with them they dont break, mine has been used to run in the engine om mine and my brothers savages and my MT" and its fine. As for the spur gears its no ones fault but your own if you dont mesh it with your pinion or dont tighten your engine mounts up and strip it. I know there are a lot of experienced guys in here who are just having bad luck with parts and im not saying that they are causing all the damage but a little bit care goes a long way to a maintenance free savage
OK guys there's my 2 cents.
BYE

Richie-EB4 02-05-2005 09:29 AM

The only thing i have broke is my spur gear as it was from the factory...........and put in a new steering servo and a hump pack and the twin brake disc's.

ed260z 02-05-2005 10:03 AM

About the only thing I seem to go through is the bushing in front of the Bell. It only lasts me about 2 tanks before I need to replace it. I can't tell you how many bearings (on the bell) I've gone through before I figured out my problem. I just replaced it with a bearing, and I'm hoping that that will fix it.

Spudnik 02-05-2005 08:26 PM

you broke way toomany for bad batches, bad batches in two mayeb three, hope you have better luck later

i have broken......................... nothing not a thing and i drove it very hard at the track, i had a bad engine but it was replaced no quetsions

just don't be a dork abnd drive wot into a pole

cardriverx 02-06-2005 12:06 AM

just don't be a dork abnd drive wot into a pole
haha its hard not to do that....:D. but like bash king said as long as you dont hold the button down for 5 min and you take care of the roto start, you shouldent have a problem. so far ive had my savy for 2 1/2 months and i have yet to break the roro start or a one way *knock on wood*. but it would be greatttttt if they put a clutch on the roto start.

nitrocurt 02-13-2005 06:00 PM

Well i just got my savage ss 46. and its going fine. but after 2 weeks the plastic spur gear broke is that normal ??????????????????????

stevblutu15 02-13-2005 07:49 PM

ive broke, spurs, upright set, suspension arm, brake disk, hex that brake disk slides onto, fuel tank, and that's about it.
Now onto the Roto start issue. My rotostart, has not been through 12 gallons as Frost's has, but mine has been through atleast 5. It is human nature no wanting to wait, and i would crank the Shizzzz outta the thing holding it for 10 seconds or more. If it began to twist, i either let it sit a second and tried again, or used the unflooding meathod. This system is the best electric start i have seen out there, and have had numerous problems with the traxxas starting system.

My most recent broken item, was a seized up SH.28. YAY out running today, nothing heavy, just easy parking lot stuff, and the engine stalls. Well tommorow it goes out to california, for warranty repair, and if they dont wanna replace it, or fix it for free, a nice collari may be in the near future. I love the engine, but right now i am pissed.

RedBullSSG 02-13-2005 09:47 PM

Apparently it is normal for guys that keep on the gas when they land, or don't maintain the adjustment on the spur gear properly. I am sure that they will break over time, but for some it is more that usual, so I would say that it depends on how you drive it and how precisely you care to maintain it...

ba_savage 03-07-2005 10:28 PM

LETS SEE..... MY SAVAGE WAS GLITCHING GUY AT ONE STORE SAID ITS YOUR SERVOS BOUGHT TWO FOR $45.00 A PIECE

GLITCHING STILL WAS HAPPENING. GUY AT ANOTHER STORE SAID ITS YOUR RECIVER BOUGHT IT FOR $50.00 PUT IT ON

GLITCHING STILL WENT ON. I WAS MAD. THE FIRST GUY THEN SAIDITS YOUR CRYSTALS. BOUGHT TWO PACK. GLITCHING STILL

WENT ON. THEN I BOUGHT A 5 CELL BATTERY PACK GLITCHING FINALLY STOPED.

youngnbald 03-07-2005 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been TOO lucky.

Diff broke pin inside (screws came out on diff case) now have spider mod and Alum diff cases.
1 spur (engine mount loose at purchase), still have plastic now
Original truck body toast (too many wheelies) New 1/8 scale Genesis Body--just broke the spoiler yesterday!
rims and hubs (factory set is poorly designed--tapers and doesn't have much surface area contact-- a sure break point!)

Okay, co-workers-- tell me if I missed something!!!

--almost the drive shafts and all cups (shafts bent about 70 degrees) Everything hardend now

Recently did a 30+MPH hit into a wall due to lost traction, close to head on!!! Truck jumped 5 foot high and smashed down. One co-worker witnessed me drive back away and NO DAMAGE!!! I STILL AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING BROKEN!! Two days later the witness tried about the same thing and did lots of damage!!!!!!

JUST LUCKY------so far..........

say bye 03-08-2005 12:40 AM

i've had my savage ss w/ wasp 28 for 2 months. lost a one way bearing, body, many antenna tubes, blew 2 hi-tec servos, one diff. now has a spool in front and 4 gear in rear. we hill climb and most of my breaks are from long falls.:D

brokenstuff 03-08-2005 01:10 AM

ive broken 3 steering uprights

and recently bent the tvps broke the steering cam setup battery box but that was a horrible crash

mziadeh 03-08-2005 03:30 PM

Just recently, Broke one rear shock, Not sure how that happeded, two fuel tanks, and spun my diff case.

Tagsrover 03-08-2005 04:21 PM

I haven't had my truck long, but i finally broke my first thing... Yay..Just today i boke by antena tube (i'm pretty sure that doesn't count though). But the steering servo is about to be replaced (broken or not).