RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Savage needs to go faster (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/2720433-savage-needs-go-faster.html)

crankshaft 03-02-2005 09:36 PM

Savage needs to go faster

Since I got my savage .25 me and the local guys running gas cars have gotten fairly competitive. my one friend has a savage with a wasp .28, and even he can't keep up with my other friends rc10gt it has a traxxas 2.5 engine in it. it does 50 easy and accelerates faster then my savage could ever hope to. staying wihtin a budget of about $300, I want to do something with my savage so it can keep up with my friend's rc10. I was considering the hot bodies .46 truckzilla conversion. I have heard that it wont really make the truck faster, but its torque is unsurpassed. even the guy at my LHC told me it wasn't worth it because it wouldn't make the truck go faster. but I was thinking you could use a lower gear ratio like 19/47 so although the engine might max out at 35000 rpm (i have yet to hear exact numbers) it would have a decent top end, and the torque of the .46 would easily make up for lost acceleration. i just wanted to hear everybody's thoughts on the idea, or if anybody else had a better idea.

thanks

dogspyder1 03-02-2005 10:19 PM

RE: Savage needs to go faster

the savage is not meant for speed. its just way to heavy the TVP ares pretty heave and the heavy big block dons't help weight wise either. for 300 u could by a xtm eccelerator kit and put a bad ass engine on it. and the hot bodies truckzilla would just make it heavier. or u could buy a NTC3 and smoke him onroad. uhh good luck off road. u could also put the 18t spur gear on but u lose in acceleration

Nitronutt 03-02-2005 10:40 PM

The truckzilla .46 motor is a reworked helicopter motor with a top RPM of 23000. How about the Twinzilla? 2 .26 motors totalling about 5hp. A guy at my LHS got it last week. We'll see how it works.

crankshaft 03-02-2005 10:56 PM

i did not realize it only turned 23000 rpm. are you sure that's not the horsepower peak and not max rpm? then again I guess that sounds about right for a .46. two .26s is starting to sound like a good idea. nitronutt, maybe you could give us an update once the guy at your hobby shop gets his going. thanks.

Nitronutt 03-02-2005 11:05 PM

He showed me the kit in the box. It looks awesome. The tires are huge and heavy. They had a flame pattern on them and seemed to be maybe 1.5x the width of the stock tire and much taller, too. He works at the shop and has 4 or 5 different vehicles, so he is kinda slow on updating anything. For example - It took him 2 weeks to run his new Savage RTR. 2 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He bought it in mid January and already went with the Twinzilla. Ahhh to have a hobby store discount....I wish......

dogspyder1 03-02-2005 11:07 PM

THe SAVAGE ISN'T MEANT TO GO FAST. ive see vids of a 2 engine t-maxx and all it does is wheelies. they aren't that great. see who can hit a curb WOT and see wich 1 survives

Nitronutt 03-02-2005 11:17 PM

Now, I think that the Twinzilla comes with longer TVP plates, right? That would help reduce the wheelies. Also running insane gearing for serious top end and the 5hp for some wild acceleration sounds interesting. I will keep you posted.

I tend to agree about the go fast thing. My tires get super tall and skinny when running 16/49 gearing and running wide open on pavement. I can't imagine too much more speed with the chassis and parts still being able to handle it. Maybe some street tires would perform better and handle an increase in top end, but what about performance in the dirt? It is a monster truck after all. I did read on HPI's site that they have an on road car that will do over 50mph out of the box with a .18! Hmmmmm.....Now I wonder if that Collari .30 would fit in there?

ed260z 03-03-2005 12:29 AM

Do you want the baddest Savvy on the Block????????
Here's how you spend that $300
Collari .30 $210
THS Pipe $75
47 Spur $4
19 Bell $11

The look on your friends face when you spank them up and down the block. Priceless :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Chino1130 03-03-2005 06:49 AM

You can switch to 30% nitro if you havent already, I did that along with a tuned pipe and there was a dramatic difference.

crankshaft 03-03-2005 07:08 PM

I already run 30% race fuel. does anybody run the collari .30 or know if it runs good? and with the right suspension setup you could keep those front tires on the ground. the tmaxx wheelies easy because the suspension is too stiff, but the savage has better suspension

savageman90 03-04-2005 07:42 AM

all i can say speed isn't always everything, if he beats you in a race, ask him to go off ramps with you.... you'll win for sure

dogspyder1 03-04-2005 08:29 AM

^^^^ exactly what i said but no 1 listens to me. teh savage wieghs toooo much to beat a revo for example and it dosn't stand much a of a chance against somthing that ways 5 lbs light. i have a rustler and that can waste my savage and that has a T-15 in it. dont try to race is just run it over a couple times and save your $$$ and a get a gf and buy her somthing nice

ed260z 03-04-2005 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: dogspyder1

^^^^ exactly what i said but no 1 listens to me. teh savage wieghs toooo much to beat a revo .................
Well I have a Collari .30, and I'm running against Maxx's and Revo's. And I can tell you from experience that at 3/4 throttle (Still Breaking In) I spanked them easily. :D
And my Savvy weighs in at over 16Lbs.[8D]

savageman90 03-04-2005 04:22 PM

i beat my friend and his t maxx (actually he couldn't get his engine started)

Integra25 03-04-2005 06:24 PM

try 40% it rocks LOL

sledmanass 03-04-2005 06:34 PM

I would suggest getting the xtm xcellerator RTR, its does 50 mph out of the box, check hobbypeople.net i know its not a monster truck but it will beat your friends GT

RabidRacer 03-04-2005 07:06 PM

try a bigger air filter. the stocker kindof restrices air flow

lax195 03-04-2005 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: ed260z

ORIGINAL: dogspyder1

^^^^ exactly what i said but no 1 listens to me. teh savage wieghs toooo much to beat a revo .................
Well I have a Collari .30, and I'm running against Maxx's and Revo's. And I can tell you from experience that at 3/4 throttle (Still Breaking In) I spanked them easily. :D
And my Savvy weighs in at over 16Lbs.[8D]
Haha, I cant STOP agreeing with you Ed!... My Collari .30 powered Savage with a THS Pipe, a Motor Saver, and 16/48 Robinson gearing will easily take a Maxx or a Revo any day of the week. ;):)

stevblutu15 03-04-2005 07:17 PM

16/48, isnt that a lil low? you could easily go 19/47

savageman90 03-04-2005 07:37 PM

i can waste a maxx with my savage has a wasp .28

youngnbald 03-04-2005 09:28 PM

If you want speed, buy a stadium truck or a car. You bought a Savage for ground clearance and OFF-ROADING!!!! Please research the vehicles abilities and get to know the reason for each design. How many people have a street car and want it to off road???? Do you buy 6" tires for your street racer so it will keep up with the Off road trucks???

If you want to beat someone, buy the same truck and be a better driver. NASCAR doesn't allow Baja trucks into the race. Why would you ask such questions? Lets drive more and not OVER think here.

ed260z 03-04-2005 09:35 PM

Your 100% right.
I didn't get my Savvy to win any races, and my RS4 3 Evo w/sirio 15 easily does over 60Mph. But what I want from a motor in my Truck is TORQUE. And it just so happens that not only does the Collari make that most torque that I've seen out of an engine, it also RrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvssssssssS like mad. :D

And it's a good feeling when you can spank those guys with thier Revo's and Maxx's off and on the road.:D

youngnbald 03-04-2005 10:37 PM

A Revo is a stadium truck! Stadium means flat track with straight-aways--high performance, like NASCAR or INDY. Suspension is meant for cornering abilities. I don't know much on the Revo, but other stadium trucks have several positions to change the shocks positions to match the cornering and track conditions.

ed260z 03-04-2005 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm talk more about Drag races. Off road the Savvy would pummel them into bits. (literally):D

crankshaft 03-04-2005 11:18 PM

You are correct that the savage is heavy, and yes i mostly drive it off road, but its when I am outside in the street tuning my engine, and I get it running the way i want and open it up to test it, and as often as not, I end up alongside that dam# stadium truck, and when my truck is tuned to its best, he goes flying by making mine look slow. If i could catch it i would run it over. I am going to look into an aftermarket motor, i am not sure about Collari because of what i hear about the carburetors, but there are a few nice engines just coming to the market from some different companies. word has it trinity is coming out with a .30 soon. for now I know a few ways of making a motor perform better and turn a few more rpm, so I am going to do some work on the .25 and see if i cant make it go faster. (making ports bigger, changing ports to change direction of fuel coming into the cylinder, make a knife edge on the rod, crankshaft, carburetor, etc). and by the way stadium trucks actually do decent on jumps. and my friends rc10 handles as good as my savage in the dirt.