RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   HELP PLEASE SH28 TO HOT!!!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/2779567-help-please-sh28-hot.html)

hardtail 03-18-2005 04:10 PM

HELP PLEASE SH28 TO HOT!!!!!!

HELLO CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME MY SH28 IS RUNNING UPTO 340 AFTER 5 MINS IS IT IS RUNNING FINE TO IF I RICHEN IT IT JUST BOGS SAME IF I LEAN IT BUT AS IT IS IT RUNS SWEET IS THIS TEMP OK

Frost_ 03-18-2005 06:55 PM

RE: HELP PLEASE SH28 TO HOT!!!!!!

If it isn't lean bogging or lean stuttering after you release throttle, and you still see smoke, let 'er eat. I wouldn't want it ANY hotter, as you don't have much protectoin if it goes lean..

raykessler 03-18-2005 07:01 PM

try cuttin some holes in the windshield of ur body to get some more air flowing through

also consider a better cooling head

rustler 1 03-18-2005 11:23 PM

HOLY ****, IT SHOULD BE RUNNING AT A MAX OF 270 DUDE, YOU NEED TO COOL IT DOWN!!!!

Nitronutt 03-19-2005 10:49 AM

Is your brake dragging? If not, it needs to be much more rich. If you run that hot for any amount of time, you will toast your engine. When things get that hot, and you run lean, a piston or bearing seizure won't be far off!

The hottest I have got my SH is 265 at the end of the tank running wide open on grass with only a 1/4" of the cooling head sticking up through the body and 45 degree temps outside - on 30% nitro fuel!

hardtail 03-20-2005 04:17 AM

i took her out yesterday and put the needles back to factory setting flush on both needles she bogs and splutters everywhere but reached a temp of 330 **** ive switched her off and give it neck im now stumped as she reaches this temp in 5 mins fuel bubbles like crazy the only thing i can think is the carb s stuffed has anyone had this prob

Richie-EB4 03-20-2005 07:02 AM

The first question is..........what are you taking the temps with ??

If its a temp gun.........whats its emissivity set at ??

Also where are you taking the temps at ??

Frost_ 03-20-2005 07:04 AM

It sounds like an air leak to be honest. If you sealed up that engine before putting it in, I would check the lines and tank. 340 won't do damage if it isn't lean, but there isn't ANY buffer there if things get that way.

hardtail 03-20-2005 02:01 PM

just took it out and altered the carb from original setting ( now it like lightening again ) after 5 mins it soon got up to 300 and i shut it off ... i checked the brakes there not sticking .... im running with no shell on ...... and im using a vemon mini onboard temp sensor lasoed around the bottom fin on cooler head ....what do you mean check the tank how !! please keep giving me help

rustler 1 03-20-2005 03:25 PM

air leak or temp gun needs to readjusted

say bye 03-20-2005 08:46 PM

your temp gauge is way off. i have one onboard also and it is way off. the way i fixed it was i used a inferred gauge and got it tuned and temps right. then i moved the sensor wire up the head until it was close in the high range. the gauge works you just have to figure out where to put it.

rod300 03-21-2005 07:09 AM

hi guys,

I have got an sh.28 and going to begin the break in is the needles are set for break in of not? since the engine doesn't come with a break in manual

thanks 4 your help

hardtail 03-21-2005 07:37 AM

wher have you got your wire on your temp guage mate does your carb bubble

Nitronutt 03-21-2005 10:11 AM

Rod300, Yes, they are supposed to be set for break-in, but mine were a bit too lean for the 30 degree weather in NW Ohio. Search for the XLB manual. It is a buggy that comes with the SH standard and has the break-in procedure detailed. There are numerous links to it throughout this forum - just do a search. If you do not download it, they say to keep the engine BELOW 230 degrees F during break-in. Also, they say to use heat cycling - Use short bursts of throttle for 2-3 minutes then shut down and cool for 10 minutes. Repeat until there is 45 mins of run time on the engine.

hardtail 03-21-2005 10:43 AM

HI LADS JUST HAD A THOUGHT IVE GOT A HPI MOTORSAVER FILTER FITTED AND THOUGHT THIS MAY BE THE PROBLEM I.E AIRS NOT PASSING TO THE HEAD SO HEATING UP,ILL TRY IT LATER WITH THE FILTER TURNED AT 90 DEGREES ....DO ANY OF YOU RUN WITH THIS FILTER ..

tmaxxkillers-25 03-21-2005 10:56 AM

First off you need to seal carb and back plate, second you need to cut out windshield on truck completely out, third you definetly need a bigger cooling head, try a nova thell reduce temps alot. try a new glow plug maybe one that runs colder then stock one, make sure all the needles are a t factory setting and then re-tune. clear ut fuel lines and fuel tank to make sure there is nothing clogging it and letting less gas to the engine. then get a fuel filter and a motor saver air filter, its bigger and gets cleaner and more abundant amounts of air to the engine.

hardtail 03-21-2005 11:40 AM

hi again just took it out with filter turned at 90 degrees to the engine to allow mure air to the engine head ,a few blasts up and down the field and the perfomance dropped and 340 on my guage ,,ive got a fuel filter and motor saver on already how do you mean seal carb and back plate what exatley do you seal ... does this overheating happen when an engine is on its way out as this engine has only had about half a gallon through it im stumped

Nitronutt 03-21-2005 12:40 PM

hardtail - I run the same engine & filter (the HPI high performance filter that comes on the 4.6ss) and point mine forward so that it goes under the roll bar. Are you SURE that your temp taker is set up properly? If it is, and you are SURE that you are not running too lean, then you need to seal your carb and backplate. I have not yet done it yet, but here is a good link on sealing: http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...articleid=1233

If you are running the Savage RTR (Primerless) or 4.6SS fuel tank, then you need to remove your extra in-line fuel filter as this tank already has a ceramic filter built in. I put an extra filter on my S-25 and tuning was inconsistent at best. I removed it and everything straightened out. Get rid of the extra filter.

You don't need the hole in the body or another cooling head. The SH comes with a good cooling head - It will be more than adequate when your problem is straightened out. Make sure that the screw that holds the carb is snug and that the carb is as far down as possible. Also make sure that your brakes are not dragging.

tmaxxkillers-25 03-21-2005 03:32 PM

getting a new cooling head for your engine can be a good idea becauce if you have a high temp engine then you get more effective results.

hardtail 03-21-2005 05:05 PM

cheers for that link mate ill try that tommorrow and see if it works if not ill buy another one as a cooling head will cost 30 qid these engines are only 80

hardtail 03-21-2005 05:23 PM

hi again ive been thinking and although im quite up on most engines ete cant get my head around how an air leak can effect the temp of a engine maybe yes sealing the backplate would stop air leaking into the crank if it was leaking, itake it that air leaaking into there would add more air to the mixture making it run leaner hence more temp but for the carb i dont no as there is a great big air filter 3-4mm above where you a mennt to seal it plus the engine isnt running lean and is holding tune perfectly but justs get to hot ill try it anyway but is there anyone there who could put me right if i am wrong in any way , also is there any one who has had a simular problem to me cheers tim p.s all this help is much apprieciated

Nitronutt 03-21-2005 06:27 PM

The air leak thing is when air gets in after the carb. This effectively alters the mixture by making it more lean because the air is not subject to being mixed with the fuel or metered by the carburetor. The engine will pull air from the path of least resistance. If that happens to be around the base of the carb or from around the back plate, then the air is not properly being mixed with the incoming fuel and the engine is not pulling as much of the proper mixture through the carburetor. Fuel is what cools the engine and if you have an air leak, you are effectively starving the engine for fuel and not allowing it to be cool.

If it seems to be running fine and you always see some smoke coming out of the exhaust, then test your temp guage. Aim it at the ground in the shade...Is it near the outside temperature? If not, it may be faulty.

Frost_ 03-21-2005 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: tmaxxkillers-25
third you definetly need a bigger cooling head, try a nova thell reduce temps alot.

ORIGINAL: tmaxxkillers-25

getting a new cooling head for your engine can be a good idea becauce if you have a high temp engine then you get more effective results.
This is straight ***-talk.... The engine has a LARGE head and tunes up without issue. I know because I OWN ONE. The big heads can cause people that have no idea what they are doing (people that tune by temp VS. performance) to run their trucks lean cuz "it's still too cool"... You do NOT need a bigger head or it would come with one. The stock SH head is bigger in diameter than the Nova replacement anyway...

tmaxxkillers-25 03-21-2005 09:05 PM

THe nova head is one of the strongest most efficient heat sink heads available. Keeps your expensive engine running cooler, so it will last longer, run leaner and smoother.
This innovative design has been tested time and again for the perfect combination of size, strength and heat displacement. While maintaining an affordable price!
A high efficiency 7075 aluminum heat sink to keep your motor running cool and efficient even under the most demanding conditions. The low profile lessens the chance of taking damaging blows and the possibility of shearing off your motor mounts.

It still reduces temperature and plus, it has more colling head fins.you can reduce temp of up to 40 degrres which imo i think would help. its his decision to get one and if he wants to see less enigne temps.

stavman11 03-21-2005 09:56 PM

man mine only runs at like 240 MAX on my MGT, not fully broken in yet but runs cool, seems there definantly is a leak somehwere, seal it and try again