RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Essential hop-ups for Savage Newbie (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/3078782-essential-hop-ups-savage-newbie.html)

Crazy Canuck 06-15-2005 11:42 PM

Essential hop-ups for Savage Newbie

Hey all,

I was just wondering what the essential upgrades for a Savage SS 4.6 would be? I'm thinking about getting one to bash around with my Revo. I'm talking mainly to add durability to the truck. Speed upgrades aren't a big thing, I need this truck to be bomb proof, or as much as possible. So what do you all think would be a necesity in the way of strengthening this truck up? All suggestions welcomed.

Cheers
[8D]

46u 06-15-2005 11:57 PM

RE: Essential hop-ups for Savage Newbie

A good radio and a set of aluminum clutch shoes. Every thing else comes in the kit. How does your Revo hold up?

Crazy Canuck 06-16-2005 07:39 AM

I've got a pretty good radio now, the JR XS3 Pro, but I will definitely upgrade the clutch shoes. As far as the Revo holdin up. It's not too bad...broken a few things like A-Arms, rocker arm mounts, shocks. I am quite impressed at how well it has held up to the abuse it has been given...but I can always use something stronger.

Cheers

rustler 1 06-17-2005 11:33 PM

heres a few, there is a rod that keeps the wheels straight in the back and when you land hard hard on the rear bumber dead on off a jump it bends or pops off so the wheels not straight anymore. get it in titanium from lungsford racing on their website. the plastic spurs are going to strip so a 49t spur gear (metal) is essental. if you land a jump wiith throttle on, 1 of 3 things will occur, either the dogbones, differental, or wheel will strip out, if the diff has the 4 spider mod then the wheel will probably strip so be ready to buy another rim. a roll cage is nice to bulletproof the truck, its a bashing need if you get a rolol cage thats not rcsolutions then your an idiot (like me). go to rcsolutions and look at the roll cae for the savage, very very very durable and makes your truck look good and unbreakable, the arms are so think that those arnt needed to be in aluminum. this is really about it. email me if you need any more pointers at [email protected]

Rep99099 06-18-2005 10:52 AM

I think ruster means, get some lunsford titanium tie rods...

rustler 1 06-18-2005 11:15 AM

YA, THOSE WONT BREAK

thunderw0lf 06-18-2005 01:00 PM

I wouldn't go to a 49 tooth spur gear with the SS unless you like practically non stop wheelies. And as far as stripping the plastic gear goes, with a proper mesh it's not going to strip. The main problem with it however is not the gear itself but the plastic clutch shoes that slip and over heat the clutch bell and melt the teeth on the spur gear. I've melted 5 or 6 spur gears but never actually had one strip. I put a set of aluminum shoes in and haven't had a problem with the spur gear since. Also, the slipper shouldn't be loosened more than about 1/4 turn from fully tightened or it'll overheat there and melt in the center.

rustler 1 06-18-2005 07:50 PM

well a 49t wouldnt wheelie for days enless you have a sh28 like me or a collari 30 because that k46 has some balls but enless your trying to wheelie it wont. rolling at about 5 mph, it will not wheelie on a 49t