RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   My new SS 4.6!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/3141943-my-new-ss-4-6-a.html)

Crazy Canuck 07-06-2005 03:14 PM

My new SS 4.6!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all,

Some of you may recognize me form the Traxxas and 1/8th scale forums but as of today I'm part of the HPI crowd. I just bought a Savage 4.6 SS and can't wait to put it together. Is there anything I should be forwarned about or anything to watch out for? Anything a new Savage owner needs to know would be appreciated. Can't wait to run over my Revo!!

Cheers
:D

savageman90 07-06-2005 04:06 PM

RE: My new SS 4.6!!!

hahaha, looks like the cats like it :D

jwarren 07-06-2005 04:21 PM

Well if my cat is any indication they wont like it once you fire it up..lol

Crazy Canuck 07-06-2005 04:56 PM

Yeah the cats aren't big fans of loud noises. I think they would freak if I ever started one in the house.

peed 07-06-2005 04:59 PM

that savage looks so nice disarmed:D

you have to show us some pics after yoy finish building it:D

Crazy Canuck 07-06-2005 06:17 PM

Yeah pics for sure, nice disarmed but lethal fully loaded!!!

Frost_ 07-06-2005 06:35 PM

The most serious thing that truck needs out of the box is a new clutch. The stock composites will fade by 1/2 to 3/4s of a tank on the OLD .25... and that made less torque and had less steep of a spur/CB combo. Pick up some aluminum shoes up front, before you put it together. I personally like the Mugen and Nova shoes. If you run the Nova shoes and don't leave out the weight, you really need 1.1 mm springs; just something to keep in mind. Do yourself a favor and rob a hump pack from one of your other rides. The radio box is too unpleasant to have to repeatedly open. Set up the pack with a charge jack on the outside of the box and you get to leave it closed.

Crazy Canuck 07-06-2005 07:07 PM

Cool, thanks for the advice, gotta make a trip into the LHS tomorrow for a hump pack cuz I hate the double A packs...too unreliable. While I'm in I'll definitely grab some new shoes. Thanks again for the info!

Cheers:D

Geeza! 07-07-2005 03:03 AM

Yeah i'd second what Frost said about the clutch, i'm surprised HPI don't supply the kit with allu shoes? the stock ones don't last 5 minutes, i fitted the Mugen clutch to mine, and now it performs the way it should do, i also fitted the Ofna vented CB, and i gotta say i found the supplied tyre inserts useless, i fitted some much firmer ones, and they are now fine, apart from these small niggles, they are great trucks, i got mine when they were first released, and it just gets better all the time;)

amec 07-07-2005 03:20 AM

What are the advantages of the alu clutch? I heard that they can stick to the cb.
I still have the stock clutch in my 4.6 and it seems to be holding up ok after almost 10 litres of fuel thru.
I just want to know.

Frost_ 07-07-2005 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: amec

What are the advantages of the alu clutch? I heard that they can stick to the cb.
I still have the stock clutch in my 4.6 and it seems to be holding up ok after almost 10 litres of fuel thru.
I just want to know.
Your stock clutch is beginning to slip as the tank empties.... notice how at the end of the tank (when the truck is leaning out) you aren't getting wheelies anymore (assuming your truck is properly tuned) like you were at half a tank, even though it is visibly and audibly stronger? This clutch slips with the 25 and a shorter gear, so I can assure you it will slip with the bigger engine and more top-end gearing worse.

The alum. clutch holds better and doesn't fade under heat. I've never heard of one sticking to the clutch bell. I guess if you have like 3 gallons on them and haven't filed down the edges, the burrs may get big enough to disallow proper release, but it's like anything. You have to do your maintenence.

bam.bam 07-07-2005 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Frost_

The most serious thing that truck needs out of the box is a new clutch. The stock composites will fade by 1/2 to 3/4s of a tank on the OLD .25... and that made less torque and had less steep of a spur/CB combo. Pick up some aluminum shoes up front, before you put it together. I personally like the Mugen and Nova shoes. If you run the Nova shoes and don't leave out the weight, you really need 1.1 mm springs; just something to keep in mind. Do yourself a favor and rob a hump pack from one of your other rides. The radio box is too unpleasant to have to repeatedly open. Set up the pack with a charge jack on the outside of the box and you get to leave it closed.
I agree with Frost. The Shoe/Spring installation is a PITA. This is where I'm at right now for 2 days. I'm debating if I should get the install tool for this....The springs are a tight install. I beleive this the hardest part of this kit thus far so if I'm going to sweat over this, mihgt as well get the aluminum shoes so I can sweat in style..:)
The vented clutch bell is not a bad idea at this point either... Anyone else uses this?

Frost_ 07-07-2005 10:40 PM

If you're referring to the Ofna hardened bells, don't forget to buy the Ofna shim kit. It's 5 bucks for a serious little bag of goodies that will let you mix n match CBs and set them up properly...