RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   savage motors (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/3211708-savage-motors.html)

rcguy1000 07-29-2005 10:29 AM

savage motors

Whats the best powerful motor for the savage .25 thanks.

Nitronutt 07-29-2005 11:17 AM

RE: savage motors

Whatever your budget allows.

I have seen this question a million times!

That is like asking "What color shirt should I wear?"

Because you are a noob, I will cut you some slack. There are several good choices under $200 (Collari .30 is my next buy). Stay away from the Diablo .28, Wasp .28, etc. as they can be difficult to tune and may have a short life span.

The SH .28 has tons of torque and wheelies everywhere, but does not have a really high peak RPM (28K).

What is your budget and what do you plan on doing with your truck?

benifur 07-29-2005 11:51 AM

I just put a .30 Collari in one with the 3 speed kit and it's fast very fast

Hey nitonutt I really like my .28 wasp. I have had no trouble at all it still has the original plug in it . just stay away from that mid-range needle close that sucker and forget it's there.

evaderstbasher 07-29-2005 02:47 PM

SH .28 ?...link me on tower!

Geeza! 07-29-2005 05:24 PM

My advise is do not buy the SH .28, the early ones were good engines, the later ones have issues, mainly con rods snapping, K 4.6 is a good engine, reliable, and plenty powerfull enough for a Savage.
There are some good engines out there, i also hear good things about the STS .28, but really, steer well clear of the SH .28;)

rcguy1000 07-29-2005 08:49 PM

i think i am gonna go with the collari and if not i will go with the picco .26 or .27 do you think they have much more power than the stock one that comes with the savage.

dapicco 07-29-2005 09:35 PM

hey rcguy just to throw in my two cents, first yes they p3 picco is a beast cmpared to the stock and probably plenty for you for now, ive never owned the picco .27 but it cant be that much more noticable then the .26, and just to let you know for the buck the picco or wasp .26 will hang with most motors and if not the difference wont be very noticable, i also had the sh.28 when they came out, i kept the same gearing as i had with the picco.26 and i will say i liked my picco alot better(hence the name)... all in all just have fun you dont need the biggest baddest motor the stock will do you just fine;)

dapicco 07-29-2005 09:38 PM

oh hey look, I just hit the 100 post mark, oh well i just broke it never mind:eek:

rcguy1000 07-29-2005 11:17 PM

thanks for your support.

BigGrump 07-29-2005 11:34 PM

The HPI K4.6 is actually very good for the Savage as stated by Geeza above. I have one and am starting my 6th gallon. I put the roto start on and I am having a lot of fun with this one. Lots of torque and a screaming thrilling top end. Other engines can make more torque, but this one is pleanty for the Savage drive train.

My advise is to seal the engine right away, no matter if it does not seem necessary. It is!!

After that and break-in and tuning for the performance you want, you almost never have to adjust anything. When you do, a very small turn will get the job done.

I have five other nitro trucks and the K4.6 is as good a runner as any.

I am not trying to push the K4.6, just reassure you it is pretty darn good.

Dennis