RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   ? about savage (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/4250201-about-savage.html)

BXMaxx 05-07-2006 11:53 AM

? about savage

well i have had a tmaxx 2.5 and a nitro 4tec for a few years now. and this year the tmaxx motor went so im just thinking about buying a new truck bc even though i love my tmaxx the 4tec is more reliable it starts up every time and i would like to know if the savage is like that. also i would like to know whats the difference between the savage x and the atv one. and is it hard to tune and what are some things i should look for when i get one. thanks

Chronic 05-07-2006 12:02 PM

RE: ? about savage

The quad version is just a Savage 25 with the different body. The X is the latest generation, with a stronger engine and the easier to service components. The X has a slightly lower center of gravity and a couple of other new parts also. I would have to say that the X is the way to go, although the quad is pretty cool and it's still a Savage.

They are pretty easy to tune. Weak, but easy to tune;)

Snowburton12 05-07-2006 12:19 PM

savage is a good bashing truck i've had myne for a couple years now and its takinga beaten and the only ting i've had to replace was the oneway bearing

BXMaxx 05-07-2006 01:10 PM

allright thanks imma look into it more. but is there any problems wit the truck that i should look at?

HerrSavage 05-07-2006 01:15 PM

I bought a Savage 25 RtR last October.. Was my first RC - and 10 x more expensive than I thought I was willing to spend.. Well, I finally just had my first major problem - I think my one-way bearing crapped out.. But that's after nearly three gallons.. My Savage more than earned its keep well over a gallon ago.. LOVE IT.

BXMaxx 05-07-2006 02:36 PM

thats good to know i want a truck thats not that expensive bc if i had the money i would probably buy a lst2 bc i like how it is. the one way berings i already know how to fix it bc i had 2 of them go on my tmaxx and 1 on my 4tec but i just want a reliable truck that when i go out to use it it actually starts up and wont break that easy. even tho my tmaxx i havent broken it in over a year but i just want something that i can use and not just let if sit there wishing it would start. lol

benzzyo5 05-07-2006 03:23 PM

i always bash my savage the only bad thing that happened so far wasa broken tranny cuz i went off a jump and landed on a rock but this jump was big. if u get 1 get a center skid plate it will protect the underneath and the tranny.

Chronic 05-07-2006 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: BXMaxx

thats good to know i want a truck thats not that expensive bc if i had the money i would probably buy a lst2 bc i like how it is..... i just want a reliable truck that when i go out to use it it actually starts up and wont break that easy. even tho my tmaxx i havent broken it in over a year but i just want something that i can use and not just let if sit there wishing it would start. lol
While I would recommend the Savage for you, don't let the price difference keep you out of an LST2 if that's what you want. Almost everyone will agree that the Savage needs a decent steering servo swapped in from the start, along with a couple of other changes to really be able to enjoy it. Nothing big, but extra expense. The LST comes with a rechargeable rx pack and charger, where the Savvy does not. The LST comes with a glow plug starter, a cheap one, but it's there. The Savage X is $435 at A Main Hobbies and the LST2 is $580 after you add it to your cart. The price to get each one truly ready to run isn't that far apart when you consider the quality electronics that the LST2 comes with. Like I said, I'd go with the Savage for what you want to do... but the LST2 is a great truck that could do the job.

tmodlin 05-07-2006 07:19 PM

LST2 and Savage is a toss up for me. Depends on the day. Sometimes I say I would sell my Savage for an LST2 sometimes I wont. Now that I will have my new radio and better engine I think my savage will be perfect but that is $350 on top of the price of the truck.

Hmm, Savage or LST2? Now I am thinking again.

BXMaxx 05-07-2006 08:13 PM

if i could be able to buy the lst2 i would save up money to get one but its hard because im only 14 so i doont have a job and my dad cant stand rc's anymore bc he dont like sitting there tuning them. i gotten good at tuning the trax 2.5 but i would just like something that is a little easier 2. since my dad dont like them he wont let me spend over 600 on another truck. i already have a good servo from my tmaxx thats mainly the reason i want a new truck to bc the motor went bad and i dont know if i wanna a new motor and maybe some rpm arms or just get a whole new truck bc i know my dad will like it if my truck was strong he likes to drive them crazy thats y i dont like him driving the tmaxx lol im surprised that the 4tec lasted with him bc he jumps the car. i think ill either get the savage x or just buy parts for my tmaxx or 4tec.

rocker0291 05-07-2006 10:31 PM

Im thinking about getting a savage x and wanted to if anyone was having any problems with please any problems if anyone has had any

46u 05-08-2006 12:01 AM

I have the 4.6 as I do not like RTR! It has a bigger engine then the X and all the heavy-duty drive train. The biggest problem I have is not enough time to run it. I have about 2 gallons throw it. The only real problem I had with the truck is I broke the pull starter trying to crank it when it was flooded and that is not the trucks fault. From what I have read the Savage no matter which one you get is more durable then the T-Max and a whole lot easier to tune. I do not know this for fact, as I have never own a T-Max. But I am not looking for anything else, as I am pleased with my Savage. :D

geepfreek 05-08-2006 12:28 AM

the savage X comes with a 2 channel remote so if you want rev you have to buy a module, servo and a 3ch remote the engine is the same they just changed the stamping from 25 to 4.1 but if you read the box it says it in small ***** letters Ive never had a problem w/my sav 25 i put LST wheels and tires on it for stability but after 1 1/2 years and beating the hell out of it all Ive broken is c-hub (right front and rear) a shock (from jumping 20+ft doing back flips and landing on concrete) and a gas tank (bad landing) i cant say a thing i dont like bout it . it handles jumping my excursion and my shed just fine and jumping up and down stairs while keep coming back for more.. Ive gotten the temp to 340 kept going never rebuilt yet and runs fine still today at 260 so im all bout the savage I know my LST wont take that abouse.

USERNAMEHERE 05-09-2006 06:29 PM

46u is right. i have a t-maxx and a SS 4.6 Savage. my is much more durrable. i hate RTR to!

the tuning difference is like night and day between the 2.5 and the 4.6, sooooo much easier!

PS. i had to replace my one way as well. traxxas needs to work on that.

Smokieflame 05-09-2006 06:57 PM

A Savage isnt that pricey, an X is only $450, you can get an X SS next month that is listed at $440 but comes wihtout a remote or servos (which isnt a bad thing) YOu can get a Savage 25 tho for the same price as a T-Maxx, about $350 and it is a great truck. You will eventually want a better engine tho. As for durability if you had a T-Maxx for that long with no major issues then you will have a Savage for even longer.

YOu can also search the forums for good deals. I got 2 Savage SS 4.6s in greta condition (minus clean up) for only $500 (i had to drive 300 miles to pick em up but was headed that way anyways hehe) but the point is you can find some great used trucks for a great price.

BXMaxx 05-09-2006 08:08 PM

thanks everyone i dont think ill have a problem when i get it. i just wont be getting it maybe till next month or the month after that because im moving at the end of this month so we have to save money for things we might need. so ill think about it and see what imma do. but can anyone tell me how well it handles bc with my tmaxx i dropped it all the way and it handles nice.

cars_on_fire 05-10-2006 09:41 AM

my savage hanndles preety good i droped it down a bit and it very rarely flips now but i love mine