RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Azzmans LCG Mid Tank Mod (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/5419840-azzmans-lcg-mid-tank-mod.html)

azzman 02-14-2007 07:30 PM

Azzmans LCG Mid Tank Mod

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
Recently I decided that I would try my hand at building some LCG TVP's for my trusty SS 4.6.
I really wanted to do the Mid Tank Mod, as my current set up with an OFNA 125cc tank was driving me nuts (crap runtime and just the whole not happy with the stock radio/batt location etc).
I also decided to try out the LST shock setup (although different from most installs)

My modded TVP's add around half an inch to the wheelbase as well as the standard amount of CG lowering.

For the tanks I decided to go for decent runtime and after a lot of trial and error a TWIN Ofna 125cc setup was picked. (250cc YAY!!)

With the tanks fitting perfectly sideways in the TVP's it also left room for the batt to be located between the tanks and the shock tower.

A wing was borrowed from my GS Racing Avenger...

Steering and reverse servo located under the tanks, and throttle servo located beside engine...

Reciever located in a Traxxas box next to the throttle servo.

JayC1968 02-14-2007 07:51 PM

RE: Azzmans LCG Mid Tank Mod

Nice AZZ.............. I like to see the detail you took to post this........ When you placed pics at RCMTW that are still starter, as you went,

I'm insulted

Vigilante212 02-14-2007 09:19 PM

Is that a phantom pipe? How do you like it, does it add low end or top end?

madmouse 02-14-2007 09:23 PM

nice setup man.

l3asher 02-14-2007 09:28 PM

Nice set up. Did you know the LST shocks were meant to run almost straight up and down?

spiftacu1ar 02-14-2007 09:40 PM

nice!!!, i was going to do a mid tank mod with the mgt tank, but now, well, im a copy cat :P.

azzman 02-14-2007 09:47 PM

Yea its a Fantom pipe...I actually ordered the dual chamber, but got the single chamber...
Heres what they say about the pipes:
Fantom offers two types of pipes, the first being a single chamber, and the second being a dual chamber. Both types are available in their Team natural steel finish, which shows all the cool bluing from the welds for that “Factory” look, or you can choose our clean looking shiny nickel finish. The single chamber pipe potentially produces the most torque and horsepower, but the power band is not as smooth as with our dual chamber pipe. Also, the single chamber pipe’s useful RPM range may be reduced slightly, compared with a dual chamber pipe. The Fantom dual chamber pipe produces the smoothest and broadest power, along with more RPM potential, but not quite as much horsepower as the single chamber pipe.

azzman 02-14-2007 09:50 PM

ORIGINAL: spiftacu1ar

nice!!!, i was going to do a mid tank mod with the mgt tank, but now, well, im a copy cat :P.
Yea I was thinking of the MGT Tank...then the Hellfire...then the Miss Vegas...then finally the current setup.
Copy away bro!!!!

Original: l3asher

Nice set up. Did you know the LST shocks were meant to run almost straight up and down?
Why...They are virtually the same length as Savage shocks so cant really see why they cant be mounted the same? :eek:

Original: JayC1968

Nice AZZ.............. I like to see the detail you took to post this........ When you placed pics at RCMTW that are still starter, as you went,

I'm insulted
Bro not sure I really know what this post means...? :eek:

trex808 02-14-2007 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: azzman

Hi all,
Recently I decided that I would try my hand at building some LCG TVP's for my trusty SS 4.6.
I really wanted to do the Mid Tank Mod, as my current set up with an OFNA 125cc tank was driving me nuts (crap runtime and just the whole not happy with the stock radio/batt location etc).
I also decided to try out the LST shock setup (although different from most installs)

My modded TVP's add around half an inch to the wheelbase as well as the standard amount of CG lowering.

For the tanks I decided to go for decent runtime and after a lot of trial and error a TWIN Ofna 125cc setup was picked. (250cc YAY!!)

With the tanks fitting perfectly sideways in the TVP's it also left room for the batt to be located between the tanks and the shock tower.

A wing was borrowed from my GS Racing Avenger...

Steering and reverse servo located under the tanks, and throttle servo located beside engine...

Reciever located in a Traxxas box next to the throttle servo.

First off, that is an excellent setup! Good job! Really clean. Secondly, how much more length did you have to add to your tvp's to fit everything in? I'm trying to get Chronic to build a set of his extended lcg tvp's.....if he get's back to me? And I'd like to try a setup similar to yours. Can you post some specs? Thanks.

spiftacu1ar 02-14-2007 11:11 PM

Hey, Azzman, could you tell me the dimesions of those tanks (so i can plan out my mod). THanx, Sutyen

Chronic 02-15-2007 02:18 AM

ORIGINAL: trex808

Secondly, how much more length did you have to add to your tvp's to fit everything in? I'm trying to get Chronic to build a set of his extended lcg tvp's.....if he get's back to me?

I had sent you a PM in response to the last PM I got from you. I was actually waiting for you to reply...

I'm not sure how much those are extended, but I can make it as long as you want. Finging the right dogbone is the limiting factor. I can stretch the front of the LCGs by 8mm fairly easily, you would just need to run a rear dogbone up front.

Azzman, NICE truck!!

azzman 02-15-2007 03:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: spiftacu1ar

Hey, Azzman, could you tell me the dimesions of those tanks (so i can plan out my mod). THanx, Sutyen
Okay bro, here goes:
Total height (to highest point on lid) 78mm
Length 73mm plus 10mm for each of the mounts (93mm total)
Width 40mm plus 2mm each side for seam, (44mm total)

ORIGINAL: Trex808

First off, that is an excellent setup! Good job! Really clean. Secondly, how much more length did you have to add to your tvp's to fit everything in? I'm trying to get Chronic to build a set of his extended lcg tvp's.....if he get's back to me? And I'd like to try a setup similar to yours. Can you post some specs? Thanks.
I managed to extend the front 10mm (using rear driveshaft) and the rear 3mm, for a total of 13mm stretch. I just make sure I use o-rings at the end of each driveshaft to keep them centered because there is a little more play than before.
You will be safe with a 8mm stretch up front (if using chronics TVP's) to fit the tanks AND the battery box in there.

Also I finished the skidplate, like the TVP's its 3mm aluminum, held there with...you guessed it some more engine plate braces.

itsnotskidding 02-15-2007 11:23 AM

love it!!....:D

im using chronics but im very intrested in that mid tank setup...!!!

pm me please azzman and mayb e.mail me a step by step with prices so i can use this setup!!.. would be great!!...

many thanks..:D

spiftacu1ar 02-15-2007 11:53 AM

ok, i have a 1.5 inch extension in the rear, so i am thniking an mgt tank (or something else, not sure yet) up front, and one of these ofna tanks in the back behind the engine (havent measured yet, but hopefully it will fit). This will give me 275cc. :O :O :O hecka good.

edit: you know i was just thinking, if i can find some other safe place to put the electronics, i could actually fit 3 ofna tanks, 2 up front like you, plus 1 behind the engine. That would be hecka cool. Also, ould set up the fuel lines so that the front tanks run out first, that way, i would know when the fuel is low, bc it will start popping uber wheelies when only the rear tank is left. Hecka good. 375cc. :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O

Vigilante212 02-15-2007 05:06 PM

How do you like the single chamber pipe? I have a LRP spec 3 its good good top end, but I might need more torque, I could just gear id down though :). Ill need to think about it, im looking into buying a phantom pipe though.

itsnotskidding 02-16-2007 09:48 AM

i like the tank idea but im thinking about the weight???....:eek:

ravenlunatic 02-16-2007 12:11 PM

what did you use to mount the steering servo?

-whitey- 02-16-2007 09:09 PM

could i do this with the stock chassi or is gonna be a tight fit?

azzman 02-17-2007 02:54 AM

ORIGINAL: ravenlunatic

what did you use to mount the steering servo?
I found these cheap servo mounts on tower [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAMM4&P=7]HERE[/link]

ORIGINAL: Whitey

could i do this with the stock chassi or is gonna be a tight fit?
This mod should be possible with the stock TVP's but you will have to mount the battery somewhere else, maybe in front of the front shock tower.

ORIGINAL: crash_alot

i like the tank idea but im thinking about the weight???....
Mate, the extra weight the extra tank adds is hardly anything!

silvergagt04 04-23-2007 11:47 PM

Azz, how do you have that fuel line running? Do you have one tank feeding into the other? How well does that work? I had heard about people t-ing 2 feed lines into one and then running that one into the carb... so will that work too, or what. I am looking to do as you did. Actually I just posted about doing a dual tank mid mod and moving the throttle servo and battery and reciever. I am thinking about doing some TVP's also for a 3/8 inch extended wheelbase. Is there anything that I may run into problems with? Thanks for any help you can give me. Also how long did this conversion take, and or cost?

Vigilante212 04-24-2007 03:52 PM

Zoom in on the pics it shows how its setup. Its setup one tank feeding the other just so ya know.

azzman 04-24-2007 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: silvergagt04

Azz, how do you have that fuel line running? Do you have one tank feeding into the other? How well does that work? I had heard about people t-ing 2 feed lines into one and then running that one into the carb... so will that work too, or what. I am looking to do as you did. Actually I just posted about doing a dual tank mid mod and moving the throttle servo and battery and reciever. I am thinking about doing some TVP's also for a 3/8 inch extended wheelbase. Is there anything that I may run into problems with? Thanks for any help you can give me. Also how long did this conversion take, and or cost?
Vigilante is right, one tank feeds into the other tank, have found no problems with this setup so far, yes you could do it with both tanks feeding at the same time with a T join, your call I guess, I just prefer this way. If your making your own TVP's this is by far the most time consuming part, my final set was the second set I made and I would still change it just a little bit...tho this would be cosmetic really...

After the TVP's are made its pretty simple stuff, just decide what you are doing with the electrics and batt, in my case I like the TMAXX box on the outside of the TVP with the batt up the front but if you wanted to mount the batt on the front of the shock tower you could put the reciever where I located my battery, whatever floats your boat.

All up with making and developing the TVP's probably a good 40 hrs work...just a quess tho as it was spread out over about six weeks. As I said developing and making the TVP's is time consuming especially when its all done by hand.

To give you a better idea on how it went through the stages read my post [link=http://www.phpbbserver.com/rcworld/viewtopic.php?t=710&mforum=rcworld]HERE[/link]

E-maxxer 04-24-2007 07:11 PM

hey azzman I was wondering is it possible to mount the tanks on the sides almost like the e-savages battery houses and are you placing the tanks for equal weight transfer?

silvergagt04 04-24-2007 07:21 PM

Thank you. I will check it out. And I promise, I will not copy you to a T. I will put my own spin on my version. I am not into totally copying peoples ideas.

Vigilante212 04-25-2007 08:47 AM

Azzman I just noticed you have a phantom buggy pipe on your savage. I bought the same thing at first took it to work and had them cut the tip with the threaded hole in it off and reweld it for me so I could use it like I wanted to. Then I finally got my phantom savage pipe in the mail its soo much nicer the nipple is at a 90 degree towards the back makes it nice for stock setup. Before I had to rout the return line through the tvp and it was a pain to get at.

azzman 04-25-2007 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: E-maxxer

hey azzman I was wondering is it possible to mount the tanks on the sides almost like the e-savages battery houses and are you placing the tanks for equal weight transfer?
I think the pipe would get in the way and they would be a pain in the butt to fill. I placed them where I did to make the whole truck easier to work on IMO.

azzman 04-25-2007 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

Azzman I just noticed you have a phantom buggy pipe on your savage. I bought the same thing at first took it to work and had them cut the tip with the threaded hole in it off and reweld it for me so I could use it like I wanted to. Then I finally got my phantom savage pipe in the mail its soo much nicer the nipple is at a 90 degree towards the back makes it nice for stock setup. Before I had to rout the return line through the tvp and it was a pain to get at.
Yea, I just re-bent my wire to make it work.

JayC1968 04-25-2007 04:58 PM

Original: JayC1968

I'm insulted
Bro not sure I really know what this post means...? :eek:
[/quote]

I was just playing with ya...:)

silvergagt04 04-26-2007 09:29 PM

Ok, I am sketching out the layout of the TVP I am going to fab up. I have decided to go with a 15mm motor/trans drop. I have planned a 10mm extension on the front. Now, that means I can use a rear dogbone in the front, right? I am going to use .125" thick, 6061 aluminum alloy for them. What kind of metal did you use? Am I even in the ballpark when it comes to the design of this? Is there anything else you could tell me about that might help me or prevent a problem that I might run into? Thanks...

Nathan9492 04-27-2007 03:28 AM

Dude, best savage ive ever seen, FANTASTIC!!![X(][X(][>:][>:][>:]:D:D

azzman 04-27-2007 05:06 AM

ORIGINAL: silvergagt04

Ok, I am sketching out the layout of the TVP I am going to fab up. I have decided to go with a 15mm motor/trans drop. I have planned a 10mm extension on the front. Now, that means I can use a rear dogbone in the front, right? I am going to use .125" thick, 6061 aluminum alloy for them. What kind of metal did you use? Am I even in the ballpark when it comes to the design of this? Is there anything else you could tell me about that might help me or prevent a problem that I might run into? Thanks...
I stretched mine a total of 11 or 12mm, the rear dogbone is used in the front yes, but it is only 6mm longer, to et the extra 4mm I stretched the back a little more AND the front a little more than 6mm, but you will have to use o-rings or small pieces of fuel tubeing in the hubs to centre the bone.

As for dropping it 15mm that may be pushing it a little, I got 10mm comfortably and personally wouldnt want to file any more of the crossbraces (see pic previous page).

The material I used was some ****ty grade ali I scrounged from the sheetmetal workers down the road, its 3mm thick...

azzman 04-27-2007 05:07 AM

ORIGINAL: harawong

Dude, best savage ive ever seen, FANTASTIC!!![X(][X(][>:][>:][>:]:D:D
Cheers mate :D

Nathan9492 04-27-2007 05:19 AM

oh nd hows that 30VG holding up for ya?

silvergagt04 04-27-2007 11:07 PM

Well thanks for the warning on the engine brace. Ill have to think of a solution to that problem. I was thinking of 15mm because, well as we all know, the lower, the better... right? I am in the design stage and will be getting some .062 thick steel sheet metal for a first fab. That way, I can mock up the engine and trans and dogbones and see what I need to change. I am hoping to have this all mocked up by the the third week in May. Ill keep thinking of ways to make them even better then ever.

GANGstar305 08-19-2008 10:03 AM

wow [X(]