RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Low profile towers! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/6106683-low-profile-towers.html)

Vigilante212 07-13-2007 12:58 PM

Low profile towers!

1 Attachment(s)
For those that dont know I have been working on these for a while now. I posted all the stuff in this thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5769483/mpage_1/key_chronic/tm.htm]Chronics post[/link]. Im going to repost all the pics here and start updating from this thread.

Vigilante212 07-13-2007 01:01 PM

RE: Low profile towers!

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the sample piece I started today. I would have gotten farther, but I only had time to test out the program to see if it did what it was supposed to. Ill be working on this more tuesday-friday next week and should have it done so I can test fit it. Ill post a pic later of it side by side with stock so you get a gist of just how dramatic it will be :) the yellow is just marker I used to outline it so its more visable.

Dr.Weasel 07-13-2007 02:02 PM

Wow, they look sweet. What CAD program did you use?
-Dr.Weasel

bb942 07-13-2007 02:16 PM

U know, I operate a CNC at work; I need to start designing parts...

-SomeGuy- 07-13-2007 04:25 PM

I just need to know if you can make some that will fit on the older savage models. Those are for savage x only right?

Kokopelli06 07-13-2007 08:53 PM

Man those are looking nice. Keep up the good work.

Vigilante212 07-13-2007 10:10 PM

Someguy if you wanna send me an old tower for a standard savage I can draw it up. Pm me. I used Mastercam for the modeling.

I woulda had these things done if the programmer at work had actually made me a program to run on our Mazaks. Most of the time ive put into these have been trying to program it for a prototrak mill(knee mill with conversation control) and that thing does not like playing connect the dots with the arcs I had to make almost all the arcs seperate entities within the program for it to work pain in the ass.

-SomeGuy- 07-13-2007 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Im pretty sure you would just need to remove those parts and it would be fine.

Vigilante212 07-13-2007 10:22 PM

I would rather make it right :)

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-13-2007 10:33 PM

holy crap that's awesome.

vigilante...these for truggy shocks or LST shocks or what?

-SomeGuy- 07-13-2007 10:36 PM

Ok, pm me your info and i'll mail you a tower, i got lots in stock.

pythonfan 07-13-2007 11:12 PM

Can't wait to see them man, is that alum or plastic ur molding them out of?

phoenix_stu 07-14-2007 04:58 AM

Seriously, great work man!! Keep it up. :D

Vigilante212 07-14-2007 06:17 AM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

holy crap that's awesome.

vigilante...these for truggy shocks or LST shocks or what?
Im Modeling them for hellfire shocks, but any shocks that are about 100mm should work. The eight shocks are too wide though so if you decide to go with something like them youll need to modify the lower mounting somehow.

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

Can't wait to see them man, is that alum or plastic ur molding them out of?

Ill be making the finished product out of 7075 grade aluminum. Im just making the test pieces out of delrin beacause it was free :)

Vigilante212 07-15-2007 07:16 AM

Someguy I was digging through a pile of parts my buddy gave me and low and behold I found a savage 25 shock tower :). Ill get a look at it when I get a chance.

pythonfan 07-15-2007 10:04 AM

i was gonna say, that did not look like alum.

-SomeGuy- 07-15-2007 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

Someguy I was digging through a pile of parts my buddy gave me and low and behold I found a savage 25 shock tower :). Ill get a look at it when I get a chance.
Cool [sm=thumbs_up.gif].

C-Fraser..::HPI::.. 07-15-2007 11:18 AM

there lookin good man;)Great work

Vigilante212 07-18-2007 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres an update for all you people.
The second photo is a comparison between an old savage 25 tower and mine.

-SomeGuy- 07-18-2007 06:24 PM

I cant really tell from your pic but was i right about removing the lower pieces to make it fit on the older savage?

Vigilante212 07-18-2007 09:22 PM

yea looks like the lower pieces and the bumper supports are removed as well as the bottom gets more cutout.

Vigilante212 07-20-2007 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I should be able to fit this one up to the truck. I skiped off making it complete beacause of time issues, but it was really only to see if it would all fit together anyway and its done enough for that. Ill put it on later tonight and get a picture if I get time.

C-Fraser..::HPI::.. 07-20-2007 08:04 PM

Man that looks awsome cant wait to c if it fits:D

Davzone 07-21-2007 05:01 AM

ORIGINAL: C-Fraser..::HPI::..

Man that looks awsome cant wait to c if it fits:D
Yeah pls fit in furry!

Vigilante212 07-21-2007 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the delay i got roped into some stuff yesterday (no rope was actually involed unfortunatly).

Here they are. I know it looks like the holes dont line up but they do there is just a bit of a bind in the center bottom part so I just stuck it on. Ill take it back to work next week and polish it up a bit. The last pic shows the body and how low it would sit(barely clears the radio box. The pics with the shocks on I compressed the shocks all the way and from the top of the shock to the bottom of the spring was 100 mm and the arms were a little at a downward angle still so i still think the hellfire shocks should be perfect. I dont have any good pics of the body face with the stock tower on gimme a few minutes and ill post it.

I added the side views to this post. The body will sit a little bit forward of where it is in the pics I had to run the body post behind the tower to get the pic. The body also hits at the top roof on the roll bar(grab handle), but with Low CG tvps it might eliminate that issue.