RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   Break in Future Problems.. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/7499735-break-future-problems.html)

01s0uljah 05-15-2008 01:06 PM

Break in Future Problems..

So guys.. I had my savage for about a month and a half and at the time of the break in i didnt have a temperature gun to break it in properly.. I followed the instructions in the manual.. but i did get a hold of a temp gun afterwards and was running really cold for about half a gallon.. Im worried that it may snap the conrod or any other damages to the engines because it wasnt properly broken in up to temperature.. I was running about 170-190F.. Is there anything i can do now to bring down the chance of damage in the future?

-SomeGuy- 05-15-2008 01:32 PM

RE: Break in Future Problems..

170 to 190 for half a gallon is not to bad, i wouldnt worry to much about it. The only thing you can do now is make sure your up to temp. It may have a slightly shorter life due to this but nothing like half or more. We all gotta learn somewhere so you might as well do it with the stock engine IMO.

Argess 05-15-2008 02:33 PM

It's probably OK, but perhaps a bit more worn than it should be for that amount of use. Keep in mind, some of the time, you may have been running much hotter, but didn't know. It changes with the weather.....chuckle.

Also, it was probably running rich with it that cold, so you had lots of lubrication. That's a good thing....see?...the glass is 1/2 full !!!

Con-rod? If I wwere in your shoes, I'd just re-tune and keep on driving, however I've read on other sites where people change the con-rod as soon as the engine is broken in.....sounds a little too much for me........

thedr 05-15-2008 02:49 PM

What all the other guys said - and, the deal is that the engines that come in RTRs are not of the best quality. And I've seen some that broke in at low temps (like you think yours did) and I've seen others that ran hot no matter what you did to them. Sometimes either end of the spectrum can't be avoided.
Don't worry about it, just make sure and put a fresh tune on it each time you run it and you'll have fewer troubles and as long of engine life as that stocker will give you.

good luck

01s0uljah 05-15-2008 03:49 PM

thanks for all the advice.. i'm just waiting for my temp gun to come in the mail.. What temperature should i be running at to maintain a healthy engine? I know that I shouldn't be tuning by the temperature.. but just want to know what temp i should be running at to ensure that nothing will break due to being stiff still..

Argess 05-15-2008 04:24 PM

Don't get fixated on temps. But if you must check, it should between 200 and 300F. Tune for best performance, then de-tune it a bit to make it safely rich. Then check the temp. This then becomes the norm.

BUT, the temps changes as the engine warms up, the outside air temperature, the humidity, the type of fuel used, how hard to run it, surface it runs on,....etc,etc.,etc.....

Why 200-300?

Typically below 200 means it's too rich, and the engine wears into that temp. If later you find new found power by leaning it a bit, there may be then too much piston/sleeve clearance. I suspect the engine pinch is designed to be less stressful to the engine when it's over 200F as well.

I find that once you hit about 325, the engine makes noises indicating it is too hot......sort of a sizzling at idle....possibly pre-ignition. Also, if very lean and it gets too hot, what little lubrication you have, may fail at the hotter temps.

A temp gun is a valuable aid for tuning for the day. If you know approx the temp yoru engine runs at, and you need to tune that particular day, you can immediately know if you are too rich or too lean by taking the temp. You can tell by listening too, but the temp check confirms it.

It's also good when comparing fuels, glowplugs, etc. Even testing to see if that new hole you put in the windshield is helping with cooling the engine.

All in all, I try very hard not to worry about temps, but once bitten, it's a hard habit to break. Sort of like nicotine.................or alcohol......hic !!! Best not to get too wound up about it from the start.

rclugnut10 05-15-2008 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Argess

Don't get fixated on temps. But if you must check, it should between 200 and 300F. Tune for best performance, then de-tune it a bit to make it safely rich. Then check the temp. This then becomes the norm.

BUT, the temps changes as the engine warms up, the outside air temperature, the humidity, the type of fuel used, how hard to run it, surface it runs on,....etc,etc.,etc.....

Why 200-300?

Typically below 200 means it's too rich, and the engine wears into that temp. If later you find new found power by leaning it a bit, there may be then too much piston/sleeve clearance. I suspect the engine pinch is designed to be less stressful to the engine when it's over 200F as well.

I find that once you hit about 325, the engine makes noises indicating it is too hot......sort of a sizzling at idle....possibly pre-ignition. Also, if very lean and it gets too hot, what little lubrication you have, may fail at the hotter temps.

A temp gun is a valuable aid for tuning for the day. If you know approx the temp yoru engine runs at, and you need to tune that particular day, you can immediately know if you are too rich or too lean by taking the temp. You can tell by listening too, but the temp check confirms it.

It's also good when comparing fuels, glowplugs, etc. Even testing to see if that new hole you put in the windshield is helping with cooling the engine.

All in all, I try very hard not to worry about temps, but once bitten, it's a hard habit to break. Sort of like nicotine.................or alcohol......hic !!! Best not to get too wound up about it from the start.
personally i wouldn't get it above 280 but like argress said, temps aren't everything, if you see lots of whight smoke your good, also when you acceralate, the engine should be resonsive, if it's bogging, it'll try to rev up for a few seconds then go, your too lean, just avoid running below 180 as well, because as the metals heat and expand and contract in the engine, they need to get to a certain temp for the optimium amount of this, but don't be afraid of leaning it out, just avoid 280 and don't check it every second either, occationally will be fine, temps should be more of a guild line and don't trust um in the cold...

rclugnut10

Argess 05-16-2008 07:19 AM

I agree about the 280 being a good "max".

I mentioned 300 as some vehciles have engines that seem to like running hot. Combine that with a vehicles that exhibit a lot of leaning out as the fuel level drops, I think that if the engine isn't over 300F when it runs out of fuel, it's OK.

But certainly, 280 is a safer max to keep under.

Oh no!!!!!....I'm fixating on temps again....where's that nurse?......

ps: And did you know, I get about a 25 degree increase when I run a vehicle with the body on, vs the body off......all with the same tune. So, I have an engine that runs 240F.....put the body on it runs 265. Should I be worried? Well....obviously the temp isn't telling me much. Is there lots of smoke? Does it sound OK....mayeb I better check the temp again......

Nurse !!!!................................NURSE!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!................

LSTVega28 05-16-2008 08:31 AM

Hrrm... I would keep it under 250 for break-in. Once it's fully broke-in then let it loose but still keep it under 285 if you want a decent engine-life. In my first Savage 25, I leaned the crap out of my S-25 when I got a new motor (Wasp .28), the head would be smoking after 3/4 of a tank. It was pretty cool,lol.