RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   What are the pros and cons of using a 3 speed? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/8068381-what-pros-cons-using-3-speed.html)

JesseJames 10-20-2008 08:41 PM

What are the pros and cons of using a 3 speed?

What are the pros and cons of using a 3 speed transmission on a stock Savage X? Would it be a direct bolt in if I bought the complete assembled 3 speed? Would I need to upgrade anything else?

Midget 10-20-2008 09:02 PM

RE: What are the pros and cons of using a 3 speed?

Nope, Direct Bolt in...
They are awesome, More top speed and Faster take of for wheelies...
Although, I hear the Piccos eat them up;)

BudBud 10-20-2008 09:15 PM

Lower first gear, higher top gear, smaller steps between shifts.

The con has to be the 1-2 shift adjustment and the way my Picco does this to the final drives.... pretty... huh?

To be fair that only happened with tall gears and Terra Pins. Bud

http://image2-6.rcuniverse.com/e1/ga.../lg-145956.jpg

SAVAGEJIM 10-20-2008 09:28 PM

Agreed, best of both worlds, better accerelation form lower 1st, better top for higher top, all you need is an engienr with the torque to turn the gears.

But as bud just shoewd, given an engine making some sick torque (in his case, more than 60in-oz, probably ALOT more), and the cast gears inside will not fare too well.

BudBud 10-20-2008 09:54 PM

The final drive in a two speed is much more robust and I have not broken one yet. I am sure that my time is coming! I have been wanting to try one behind my modded Picco, but I keep killing them with my stock 28. Sure is fun though! Bud

black mamba 10-21-2008 12:46 AM

No cons to the 3spd. Overpowered engines *may* overstress the trans, but that applies to anything seeing that kind of abuse. Other than that, they are bulletproof. Mine is 3 years old and I just had it apart and it everything looked good.

3-172IN MTN 10-21-2008 01:32 AM

I would say that the cons for me so far are that since I am running a f4.6 with a 16t CB it was shifting so early that I am having a hard time setting the shift points. I am going to just tighten it down so far that it sticks in first and then start to back it out and see if that makes it any easier.

If you do buy one make sure that it comes with the easy access tranny case as taking it out to make adjustments to the second gear shift will get very aggrivating after a couple times.

Other than that I have seen vids where it flies and as long as you are not plannig on putting tons of power through it you should not have any problems.

Earl

BudBud 10-21-2008 01:38 AM

Next to quality exhaust, I think it is the best bang for the bucks in a Savage. The ones in my stock XL trucks have been trouble free. I have one behind an LRP and it is fantastic! Bud

JesseJames 10-21-2008 08:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Midget

Nope, Direct Bolt in...
They are awesome, More top speed and Faster take of for wheelies...
Although, I hear the Piccos eat them up;)
If I understand correctly it is a direct bolt in.

JesseJames 10-21-2008 08:01 AM

So I should have no problems with using the stock 4.9.

3-172IN MTN 10-21-2008 08:13 AM

It is going to shift to early in the beginning. It is a straight bolt in but you will have to make some adjustments. I just put mine in and had to make adjustment to make it shift later.

Midget 10-21-2008 08:15 AM

Yes, You understood correctly, It will Bolt Directly in...
Although, you will need to fit the breaks and, well, I like to
add a little bit of grease, just to keep everything happy.
And Yes, It will Work Beautifully with the k4.6
Also, Depends if you get the new 3 speed box, or the old one - If you want to change the
1st - 2nd timing it will be allot easier with the new box...

Once you change to the 3 speed you will never want to change back...
Theres nothing like a Nitro Screaming past you at WOT, changing into 3rd...

black mamba 10-21-2008 11:59 AM

I have never adjusted my shift points from where HPI originally set them. I never have seen a reason too.....my truck runs great as is.

JesseJames 10-21-2008 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Midget

Yes, You understood correctly, It will Bolt Directly in...
Although, you will need to fit the breaks and, well, I like to
add a little bit of grease, just to keep everything happy.
And Yes, It will Work Beautifully with the k4.6
Also, Depends if you get the new 3 speed box, or the old one - If you want to change the
1st - 2nd timing it will be allot easier with the new box...

Once you change to the 3 speed you will never want to change back...
Theres nothing like a Nitro Screaming past you at WOT, changing into 3rd...
Is there different part numbers for the old and new? Do you know the part numbers if so?

46u 10-21-2008 09:05 PM

The only reason I never tried a 3 speed is I mostly race and no point. :D UP DATED [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

PrjctStrtFrce 10-22-2008 11:40 AM

^Race and not point?^

Yeah, what are the part #'s of the old/new boxes so that ebay shopping would be much easier?

JesseJames 10-22-2008 08:21 PM

HPI has this on their website. Is this the easy to adjust model .

Midget 10-22-2008 08:27 PM

I believe an easy way to see if it's the new box is if it has three
plugs to cover up where you adjust the shift points and fill up with grease...
Because the old style on has two...

Also here are the part numbers...
New Box: Part #87257
Old Box: part #87220

Because HPI doesn't Actually Sell the old style boxes any more, the only way to get
one would be if, where ever you buy it, still has the Old style in Stock...

Midget 10-22-2008 08:30 PM

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110300578175&Category= 44028]Old Box[/link]
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110300326750&Category= 44028]New Box[/link]

PrjctStrtFrce 10-22-2008 09:30 PM

The 2spd also has three plugs covering it though...

Midget 10-22-2008 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

The 2spd also has three plugs covering it though...
Yes, although, the ones with 2 plugs you have to take the whole tranny apart and out of the car.
Though with the 3 plugs you can just take the top of the tranny off and leave it in the car...

black mamba 10-23-2008 02:37 AM

Externally, there is no difference between a 2 and 3spd. Unless you knew what it was, you wouldn't know otherwise.

There are two different trans cases used and 2 different 3spds. The non-X style trans case is made of two solid halves that form one without a removable top. The x style case is made up of 4 individual pieces that form one. The top half is removable and identifiable by the extra screws holding the top half to the bottom half. Real easy to spot.

As for the 3spds, there are two different kinds classified by the 3rd gear ratio they use. HPI uses the term high speed 3rd gear to annotate the newest 3spd and the older 3spd is just that, it uses the non-high speed 3rd gear. I call the original 3spd the gen 1 and the high speed 3spd the gen 2. The other ratios within the 3spds are the same if I remember right and all parts, including the cases are interchangeable. You can turn your gen 1 into a gen 2 or vice versa by swapping the 3rd gear.

The XL comes standard with the high speed 3spd. I'm not sure if HPI is shipping all 3spds with the new 3rd gear or not and I'm almost 100% positive that all 3spd now come with the X style case. Be aware that there's probably still some older non X style cased 3spds floating around on the hobby shop shelves or on Ebay, so check it out or ask questions before you buy it.
And I know someone will ask this; yes, you can swap cases amongst the Savage family lines, regardless if it's a 2spd or 3spd-the gearsets fit either. I have what was originally a 2spd X style case with gen 1 3spd guts in my 4 year old S25 Savage. The beauty of Savages is the parts swapability.

ThunderbirdJunkie 10-23-2008 02:45 AM

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

^Race and not point?^

Yeah, what are the part #'s of the old/new boxes so that ebay shopping would be much easier?
If it won't go above 2nd gear, what IS the point?

a 2 speed will fare well with most people. the 3 speed has closer ratios...but with a torquey engine...what's the point? is it going to be $50+ worth of advantage? in most cases, probably not. If you can't pull ahead on the main straight with the two speed, you won't be able to pull ahead with the 3 speed either.

the 3 speed, IMO (and I haven't installed mine yet, so take what I say with a block of salt lick) better suited to bashers.