RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   THE DEFINITION OF TOO MUCH POWER (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/8109951-definition-too-much-power.html)

scarletboa 11-03-2008 02:13 AM

THE DEFINITION OF TOO MUCH POWER

[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZi1RyGdr_s&feature=channel]the reason i might go brushless[/link]

Nathan9492 11-03-2008 02:16 AM

RE: THE DEFINITION OF TOO MUCH POWER

Half the fun of a nitro for me, is the sound and smell of the motor, and the whole tuning aspect it.

Maybe powerful, but its pretty boring.

Id rather one of Superib's modded piccos [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

black mamba 11-03-2008 02:21 AM

Brushless = wicked torque and crazy top end. I'll bet if that guy/kid could keep that truck down on all 4s, it would put a spanking on most any nitro engine'd monster out there. Nitro is cool, but you have to respect what brushless can do.

sonixx 11-03-2008 07:43 AM

sorry to kill it, but the guys batts are waaay too far back in this video.

PrjctStrtFrce 11-03-2008 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

Brushless = wicked torque and crazy top end. I'll bet if that guy/kid could keep that truck down on all 4s, it would put a spanking on most any nitro engine'd monster out there. Nitro is cool, but you have to respect what brushless can do.
Well put. I would like to own one of those crazy Traxxas brushless cars...yes I said it, TRAXXAS [X(]

No tuning and no need to sprint after it once it flipped over fearing that it'll turn off :D I like my nitro though

roccos_van 11-03-2008 02:37 PM

That's mr. snuggles truck from savagecentral. He bought the truck from some company that sells pre-built brushless savvy's. I can't remember the name but there is a thread over there about it. I think they start at $1200 and go from there.

Cool, but for that money it's a 5T for me.

madmax22 11-03-2008 05:40 PM

I like the aspect of Plug and Play, of the elec. the nitro can be VERY frustrating. Elec. Is also wayyyy cheaper in the long run. If you going to do a elec. savy then your fo-sho' not worried about the money it will take, but is cheaper in the long run. BL motor will last almost for ever, nitro motor maybe 10 gal's if you lucky more like 7 for the normal person. Then another $200 (about for a motor), nitro, around here 20% is about $25, 7Gal's=$175. So looking around $375. BL system ( a reallly good one is about $300 for the ESC and Motor). Battery's anywhere from $80-$200. Charger (you might already have one) but about $150. But a lipo will take over 1000 charges, and the Bl system, unless done something stupid to, will last longer then that. But what you doing get out of elec. is the small and noise of nitro, that is irreplaceable.

under pressure 11-03-2008 05:51 PM

killler torque

wingedwheel-0420 11-03-2008 05:55 PM

i keep seing people say about 25 bucks a gallon.where do you get that at,i jusst paid 37 dollars for a gallon.

46u 11-03-2008 06:52 PM

I am not trying to start a flame but have a question. Say you want to run an electric vehicle all day 6 to 8 hours fairly continues how many batteries and changers would you need? I know with nitro other then maybe topping up the RX back a few times all you have to do is keep the fuel tank full.

madmax22 11-03-2008 07:23 PM

maybe 3 battery's, if you have a good charger and 3800mah lipo will charge in about 25 min's.

rcnitrohead 11-03-2008 08:01 PM

Pffft, I do that all the time when I'm bored;)

ArancioC5 11-03-2008 11:41 PM

Brushless for the most part is un-useable torque and the top end in these trucks are limited due to drag/ tires etc. It is pointless because in the end, you will only be able to use the power to match a nitro. Is it cheaper? Maybe in the very end of the day but a GOOD lipo is expensive. The cheap ones are a waste of money. $100 a pack easy, and then you need to keep in mind the safety concerns, the upkeep, and the baby sitting. A brushless motor will not last forever if you do not change the bearings, and the ESC which is the most expensive item, has a shelf life if you run it hard daily like a nitro. Let brushless become increasingly popular, prices on nitro will shoot down and I'll buy another brushless when the cost of lipos and lipo equipment gets cheaper.

I had a Mamba max 5700 in my Tamiya DF-03 buggy and it flew but i was blowing the diffs every 10 runs. Tamiya diff = $25.00 x once a week = $100 month. Thats Nitro fuel money :)

scarletboa 11-04-2008 12:17 AM

blowing diffs? lol, i have the rustler vxl and i torture the diffs and i've done over 150 runs on it and the diffs have about 75% left in them.

rhylsadar 11-04-2008 05:22 AM

hi

there are pros and cons to nitro and electric. no question about that. there are some obvious advantages of electric like you can drive anywhere for instance. as for the costs i think its difficult to make those comparisons in the long run. a good quality BL motor can last for years without maintenance etc. so that is quite diffcult to compare. prices of batteries also vary a lot and depend very much on the setup you are using. electric guys usually have several sets of batteries and the charger on place so driving the whole day is not an issue at all.
as far is have seen this truck mr snuggles has moved the batteries from the rear to the front. thats what you usually have to do in brushless savages because otherwise there is too much weight in the back due to the motor, esc etc.

bye
rhylsadar

madmax22 11-04-2008 05:34 PM

Pro's of nitro: Sounds cool, when you engine runs good you can feel it, sounds cool, Good power, sounds cool, smells cool, You can make it faster with a pipe change, more things to tinker with.

Con's: Its loud, nitro is dangerous, The smoke hurts your eyes/stings your nose is you stand in it for a wile, you can get burned, glow plugs, have to buy nitro all the time More expensive in the long run.

Pro's on Electric: LOOOOTTTTTSSSS OOFFFFF PPPPOOOOWWWWWEEEEEERRRRRRR, Pretty much no sound, if taken care of battery's will last a LONG time, BL motor is virtually maitinence free, they are fast, quiet, if you flip over it wont shut off. LEss money in the long run

Con's: If you dont have more then 1 battery, you have to wait on a charge, lipo's CAN catch fire/blow up if punctured/mistreated, you pretty much need a 2.4ghz radio or you might have bad glitching problems, more expensive at the time.

Thats not all but thats all i could think of.