RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   HPI Monster Truck Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/)
-   -   First Savage :) Upgrade questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hpi-monster-truck-forum-250/8761704-first-savage-upgrade-questions.html)

caseyddr 05-12-2009 01:09 AM

First Savage :) Upgrade questions

Well I remember when the first Savage was released a long time ago, and I finally own my first Savage. Now, I understand people have a big agenda against certain parts being aluminum, but I don't know what on a Savage should be aluminum if anything. I do like bling though, so does ANYBODY know where to get Carbon Fiber TVP plates and Carbon Fiber Shock Towers? I LOVE the look of Carbon, so thats why I want to know.

Any other upgrades though that are needed please don't hesitate to tell me :)

Currently have:

Savage X 4.6
Aluminum Threaded Shocks
Steel Spurgear
3 speed
Aluminum Clutch Shoes
Tuned 1 piece pipe
Hardened driveshafts

LMK, my main concern is the Carbon stuff though, haha

3-172IN MTN 05-12-2009 09:37 AM

RE: First Savage :) Upgrade questions

I am pretty sure I saw some carbon fiber stuff on eBay. You should go and check it out.

Argess 05-12-2009 11:34 AM

A/ For aluminum:

1/ Stay away from A-arms....you need "give" (flex) there. If you want to upgrade the A-arms, RPM makes tougher parts, but I've never had trouble with the factory parts.

2/ Aluminum bulkheads are good. They bolt to the side plates and make a rigid, tough "box" for the truck.

3/ Aluminum differential cases "should" be good. Crown and Pinion gears can slip due to the plastic differntial cases flexing, even when shimmed. I intend to make that change sometime soon.

4/ Shock towers. I can't remember if they help with the "box" idea (#2) or not as it's been a long time since I put them in. I suspect they're not needed for that, but they're an OK change anyway.

B/ Steel spur (which you need a hardened CB for)....see if you can return it. Pebbles get between the teeth and the teeth chip. And they can wear badly if the mesh isn't perfect, of if the mesh changes (See "D" ).

C/ Aluminumn clutch shoes. From what I've seen, they are high in maintenance and don't last that well. I've gone back to composite and feel they are better than aluminum. Personally, I think they started as a fad with the 1/8th buggy crowd due to quick grabbing during racing. Many of those fellows have also gone back to composite.

D/ The engine mounting plate (the flat aluiminum plate) under the cast engine mount........The thicker XL piece is better, though you may have to notch your right side plate to allow for the engine mounting screws to get past depending on your CB/spur gear ratio. But wether you use it or not, change the 4 machine screws that hold the mounting plate to the cross supports with the best, toughest screws you can buy. The outside ones have a habit of breaking, and then the engine tilts to the left when the engine torques hard, and the mesh lash goes to zero and the spur wears out or breaks teeth.

E/ Depending on what version of the Savage you have, you may want to consider a stronger steering servo. Those are big wheels to move back and forth.

F/ If your truck has a single brake disc, go for the dual disc hop-up. A big help with brakes is to change the brake/engine servo linkage around to be similiar to a buggy system. It can increase your braking quite a bit, although really strong brakes are hard on the front differential. I would say that you get more consistent braking with this mod. OFNA sells all the linkage stuff you would need.

G/ Sorry, I have no knowledge on carbon fiber parts.

rotzilla 05-12-2009 09:37 PM

www.extremercracing.com for carbon fiber for some parts. i know they have the tvp's and a few other parts....

barrydidntknow 05-12-2009 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: rotzilla

www.extremercracing.com for carbon fiber for some parts. i know they have the tvp's and a few other parts....
Man that link just goes to site full of links?

Correct link

http://www.xtremercracing.com/

No xl tvp's