RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ikarus-aerofly-flight-simulators-337/)
-   -   AFPD Wishlist (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ikarus-aerofly-flight-simulators-337/2500825-afpd-wishlist.html)

NE0 01-04-2005 11:32 AM

AFPD Wishlist

Dion,

I've had my AFPD for a few days now and have REALLY enjoyed it! It has already improved my flight skills and confidence a great deal... can't wait to see what I can do next flying season (OHIO winters suck).

Anyhow, I was wondering if you are adverse to me listing a few things that I would put on my "AFPD WishList" for future updates or versions. None of this is bashing, as I've tried all the major sims (G2, G3, Reflex, AFPD, etc.) and find them all to have both strengths AND weaknesses. I would just like to offer some constructive ideas as to what I think would REALLY help out this software and take it to the next level. Not a lot of items, just some things I think should be relatively easy to change and would make customers a lot happier.

I didn't want to start anything here without running it by you first. ;-)

Great job on a great piece of software... I love the balloon popping... it really makes you focus on putting your plane in an exact position in the air. Good training on precision handling at very low altitude and loads of fun with friends.

Thanks,

Tom

STLPilot 01-04-2005 11:42 AM

RE: AFPD Wishlist

Hey Tom,

We look forward to as much input as you guys have to offer. I work very closely with the developer and offer them all the feedback you provide to us. The more you let us know the more I will let them know. This is one of the main reasons this forum is here to centralize all the feedback both good or bad.

I'm glad you like AFPD.

BTW do you have anywhere you can find a Dauntless CAD file or wireframe? I'm thinking you would like to see one for AFPD and so would I. I know you did a lot of homework and maybe you might have come by one in your journey. All they need is the outline of the model, not the internal structure.

Make sure you see that Corsair, for AFPD, it's an AWESOME piece of work.

rusirius 01-04-2005 03:36 PM

Hey Dion,
Here's one thing I'd really like to see added to AFPD... The "flight data" display that shows rotor RPM is great, but it's only half of what I really need to know to program my throttle/pitch curves... I also need to see the current collective pitch! It would be GREAT to have it display what the current collective pitch is at any particular time... Right now I just kinda have to guess based on the limits.

bobl2 01-04-2005 05:27 PM

Where is this Corsair you keep talking about? It's not on the AFPD page.

STLPilot 01-04-2005 05:43 PM

rcsim.de under dloads for AFP

NE0 01-04-2005 06:50 PM

Thanks Dion! No I never came across a CAD file for the SBD, but I'll keep my eyes open. I think if I'd have spent some hours flying one in AFPD before my maiden, my SBD might still be in one piece! ;)

Anyhow, I'll start my list here and add to it as I think of things.

Tom

Wish List...

1) File Management System for the planes:
Right now, to edit a plane, you have to make a copy... no problem, easy enough to do in AFPD. However, there is no way of renaming or deleting the planes. After a while, you may end up with a dozen "Giles" and don't know which is which cause they all have pretty much the same name. Also, after a while, you may want to get rid of some, but you have to exit AFPD to do it, and then remember which "version" of the plane to delete from the aircraft folder. A way to rename and delete planes from within AFPD would be a great asset.

2) Simple - Allow us to change planes and airports from the flight screen without having to keep going back to the Main Menu.

3) Wishful Thinking - Online Multiplayer. It would be great to run against others online or at least a couple PCs in the same room on a LAN.

4) Major Major Wish - A simple way to reskin existing or future planes. I'm a 3D modeller and animator professionally, and also do a lot of custom plane covering schemes... so, it would be awesome if there was a more user-friendly way to try out different skins that I've designed on AFPD planes. Gives you a chance to see the scheme in the air before you even cover the real plane.

5) Better Yet - Give us an easy way to edit covering schemes and try different ones out on the same model... without having to make a copy of the model! I know G2/G3 both allow you to change schemes without making another copy of the model... nice.

6) Another Wish - More Photorealistic airfields... 3 is not enough ;-)

Beyond the above, one of my minor criticisms is in regards to the physics. They are great, but still have room for improvement. For example, the planes often feel like they're flying through "thick air" almost like Jello. When you do a straight upline to a stall, the plane slowly falls over into the downline. However a "real" plane would snap over more quickly with a more accentuated pendulum effect... not such a slow gradual fall over. I have slightly compensated for this by increasing the simulation speed to 120% which "feels more real". But, everything else speeds up to, so this isn't perfect.

Another example is that a full speed high rate elevator pull on many planes will pull the plane into an unrealistically tight loop... then, when you let off the stick at the backside of the loop, it will continue to do another loop or two. Real planes can't do this, especially without snapping.

That brings me to my last physics issue... snapping. When I had G3, I found that all the 3D planes snapped WAAAAAY to easily. Any elevator at all at almost any speed would produce a violent snap. AFPD however is just the opposite. Most (not all) planes are virtually snap-proof. I can take most of them in a full throttle downline and bury the high-rate elevator with no snap at all. This is not going to happen in the "real world" (I wish it would)... especially on snap-happy planes like the Giles or Cap.

Not *****ing or complaining, just consructive criticism (IMHO). Overall I think the physics are great, graphics are great, and the interface is awesome. I would just like to see AFPD go from a "great" sim to the "hands down best" sim ever... and I think it can be done. You may disagree with me on the physics issues, but bottom line is that I fly three times better on the sim than I do in real life. I can tailtouch any plane in the sim all day long, but can't hover a "real plane" much lower than about 15 feet of the ground. Nor can I take any "real plane" into a full throttle downline and bury a high-rate elevator 10 feet off the ground... but I do it in AFPD all the time.

Again, not *****ing, I still love it. I'd recommend it to anyone.

PS: Both mine and my buddy's AFPD occassionally freeze, blink, then go to a black screen for about 3 seconds... then come right back as though nothing ever happened. Seems like a minor bug.

440GTX 01-04-2005 08:34 PM

My wish list
A raptor 50 V2 and a Raptor 60

Not too much to ask for , Is it ?

Fred..

rc-rodeo 01-05-2005 05:30 AM

Tom,

thanks for your 'wishlist'.
It's well worth to be transferred to the developers and Dion and me will do so.

Talking about your black screen problem.
Try to switch off the screensaver and see whether it helps.

Regards
rodeo
www.rodeo.onlinehome.de

STLPilot 01-05-2005 05:42 AM

Tom which planes are you using the most?

Have you tried these same moves on the 40 low wing trainer or are you only using the GS planes. Are you putting any weather in at all?

jonlowe 01-05-2005 09:26 AM

I have one small wish. I'd like to use the sim to practice pattern and IMAC sequences, but since you can't see the ground well for references as in real life, it is hard to maintain straight lines. A grid in the sky would be ideal. There is a field for FMS that was made up that has such a grid. It looks like very light smoke, and extends for the length of the "box". There are also light "contrails" at right angles to the box to help you maintain square lines.

While this is artificial, it would help us out. A mod to an existing field would be great if someone can do it. If you need a reference for the FMS field, I can dig it out.

Jon Lowe

MikeEast 01-05-2005 09:42 AM

jon,
There is a way to get a larger field of view. When you are on the flight screen go to "View 1" at the top of the screen and then select "Viewing Options". There is a slider that will allow you to play with the "field of view". You can back way out to where you can see the ground and the plane almost all the time. If you have the autozoom on you can still see the plane pretty well at the box lines.

I back it out to practice pattern, really improves your lines.

STLPilot 01-05-2005 09:57 AM

What about turning the ribbons on, does that help? I'm not a pattern guy but we are told that is key to keeping straight lines in AFP.

jonlowe 01-05-2005 09:57 AM

Yeah, I tried that, but then the plane gets small. If it autozooms, then I lose the reference points! I need a 60" monitor!

I will try it again. The FMS scenery really helps, but the FMS sim isn't realistic at all.

Jon

ORIGINAL: BigNed

jon,
There is a way to get a larger field of view. When you are on the flight screen go to "View 1" at the top of the screen and then select "Viewing Options". There is a slider that will allow you to play with the "field of view". You can back way out to where you can see the ground and the plane almost all the time. If you have the autozoom on you can still see the plane pretty well at the box lines.

I back it out to practice pattern, really improves your lines.

jonlowe 01-05-2005 10:02 AM

Ribbons help some, but mainly show you where you've been, not where you are going! The grid is a big help. I know Aerobob (Bob Pasterello) wants them also.

Jon

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

What about turning the ribbons on, does that help? I'm not a pattern guy but we are told that is key to keeping straight lines in AFP.

MikeEast 01-05-2005 11:02 AM

I have been playing with the ribbons but they dont recede fast enough. When you make a turnaround and come back the last centered maneuver is still there... Is there a way to change this??

Montgomery 01-06-2005 08:29 AM

My 'wish list':

1: Keyboard shortcuts for 'FLY' from the main menu, and a shortcut to reset the sim to the start position when flying (or crashing). Actually, keyboard shortcuts for all the 'buttons' on the main screen would save a lot of reaching for the mouse and clicking around.

2: A 'Look at Ground' camera mode similar to RF G2/3. The camera auto zooms to always keep some ground reference in frame.

Bill...

STLPilot 01-06-2005 08:40 AM

Already has it ... almost ... all.

and a shortcut to reset the sim to the start position when flying (or crashing).
Spacebar

Actually, keyboard shortcuts for all the 'buttons' on the main screen would save a lot of reaching for the mouse and clicking around.
F1

A 'Look at Ground' camera mode similar to RF G2/3.
Open 2nd window with follow view mode

The camera auto zooms to always keep some ground reference in frame.
Look under View 1 and select autozoom. You can also adjust it's strengths under View 1 preferences.

Mykol 01-06-2005 09:48 AM

He actually means keyboard shortcuts for the main screen buttons like FLY. Rather than having to use the mouse to select it

STLPilot 01-06-2005 09:54 AM

He actually means keyboard shortcuts for the main screen buttons like FLY. Rather than having to use the mouse to select it
I understand that, that's the only one of the 5 requests that he asked that I did not add.

rc-rodeo 01-06-2005 10:04 AM

Hi,

a grid in the sky will be available soon.
I have done this for a competition pilot some time ago, and I found it still difficult to keep orientation.
But he told me it would help him alot after he was used to it.

So I will import this into an AFPD scenery.
It will be available at www.aeroflypro.com as well.
Just some few days...

Regards
rodeo
www.rodeo.onlinehome.de

STLPilot 01-06-2005 10:17 AM

Will you be able to adjust the density of the lines Rodeo?

You guys just plain out rock!

joeb102072 01-06-2005 10:59 AM

I would have to say you hit the nail on the head with your "wish list" for AFP. I was a RF guy for a while and gave all the others a try until I realized there was no other like AFP. I found simialr issues as you did. tried to do some setting changes some things work somethings didnt. I did however find that wind and weather made the biggest difference in how the plane flew in high alpha and full control surface deflection at a high speed. It makes the realism a bit better. I can say that I have experienced a plane that can do a high speed dive and not snap when full elevator is applied. My morris the knife is a spectacular 40 size 3D plane, I love it and probably will never get rid of it. But like you said I have owened the Giles and all I can say is hang on cuz its snappy. But I have witnessed many many online videos of the exact opposite where it doesnt matter how fast the plane is going it just sits in any manuver no matter how hard you pullon the sticks. In conclusion its the set up of the plane and how exact you are when it comes to throws cg balencing and all of the other factors. I realized that no matter what its vertually impossible to try and compare AFP planes to your own if you dont spend countless hours on set up to make it identical in every aspect to the pc one, but i believe it is possible so maybe AFP makes it too good lol. I am definatly not up to that challenge, I just take the good with the bad IMO. I saw the biggest difference when trying to hover a plane in RF and going to the field for real it was like night and day nothing to what I was practicing on RF but the the switch to AFP was unbelivable. Yes there were some differences but in 4 tanks of fuel I was hovering. And in about 4 trips to the field I was touching the tail. And that was a 40 size plane too. I guess I am saying that yes there is room for improvment in AFP but there is always going to be a difference at the field no matter how advance the programming and physics get. IMO.

MikeEast 01-06-2005 12:22 PM

COOOL, thans RODEO!!

jonlowe 01-06-2005 01:37 PM

Thank you , thank you , thank you!!!

Jon Lowe

ORIGINAL: rc-rodeo

Hi,

a grid in the sky will be available soon.
I have done this for a competition pilot some time ago, and I found it still difficult to keep orientation.
But he told me it would help him alot after he was used to it.

So I will import this into an AFPD scenery.
It will be available at www.aeroflypro.com as well.
Just some few days...

Regards
rodeo
www.rodeo.onlinehome.de

Bob Pastorello 01-06-2005 10:24 PM

This will be a TREMENDOUS, SIGNIFICANT help for those of us wanting to practice precision. The "Decay rate" of the ribbon would be a great help if it were adjustable in a time/seconds delay parameter.

Regards snapping - I have a very NOT high-quality vid that I made using Fraps of a series of Snaps with a Smaragd that I have tweaked. I sent the vid to members of the Judging Cmte of the NSRCA for evaluation/judging.... EVERY one of them agreed that the snaps are quite clean, have a very clear break in pitch, and a very solid recovery on track and line.

The stock Smaragd wasn't too close on true snap "feel".... I'm a LOT closer with #3 now, but still working. Stall turns can be done, and the airplane pivots quite well about the CG, and even gets some tail wiggle (2 point downgrade) that can be 'held' from happening with opposite rudder. This is a VERY realistic advantage, and part of what made me conclude I can really practice precision aerobatics with the AFP Deluxe.

Thanks to EVERYONE for being responsive to us about improving it!!!!