Need some info guys

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Need some info guys

Old 10-13-2011, 05:23 AM
skillet92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some info guys

Hey guys I need some info on IMAC fees. First off I am president of a club that hosts 1 or 2 of these a year. I am having an "issue" with an older member of the club that is a CD for the events, but not an officer for the club. For an event we had recently we had voted as a club to raise the fees for the event and 3 meals that we serve to 40. That would cover the 2 lunches and we do a barbeque for the Saturday night meal. Well being that he was the CD and is one of our representatives for the IMAC he just ignored our vote and sent out the info with a 30 dollar fee and when we questioned him on it he would not even listen to us. Just said that we could not charge more and that was final. He does not like not being an officer and just does his own thing in the name of the club. We have solved it for next year in that he is not going to CD or be the rep for us in IMAC, but I would like to know what you guys see as fees at other events.

This is a club issue with him that we are having to deal with unfortunately. It is not just this but other things as well. I just would like some feed back on what the regs are and what you guys that are doing these events see so that I can have a firm ground to stand on when we make our decision for next years events.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 06:09 AM
underdw
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need some info guys

Hi Michael,
I CD an event hosted by a small, informal club. As such, I set the fees. I try to charge as little as possible, but enough to insure the club makes a few bucks and I can pay the per -pilot IMAC fees. We do the lunches on a "donation" basis, so food is not an expense that needs to be covered by entry fees.
However, I do think that the host club should have control of the fees if they so desire - after all it's their field.

I'm a member of a second club that requires a budget submission prior to event approval. This forces the CD to consider all expenses and allows the club to evaluate the event cost and potential profit.

Hope that helped.
Dan
Old 10-13-2011, 06:19 AM
skillet92

It does help some. So the fees for an IMAC event are not set in stone?
Old 10-13-2011, 06:58 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: skillet92

It does help some. So the fees for an IMAC event are not set in stone?
That is essentially correct. The IMAC guidelines do state that an IMAC member that can show proof of IMAC membership is to be given at discount

Here is the contest guidelines and the official rulebook

http://www.mini-iac.com/Portals/0/Do...uide_Rev_4.pdf

http://www.mini-iac.com/Portals/0/Do...les/SA2011.pdf

You do have to be careful about small informal clubs when the discussion involves IMAC. IMAC contests do need to be flown at a AMA sanctioned field for the points to count towards the regional finals
Old 10-13-2011, 05:53 PM
skillet92

Those helped! And yes we are a AMA sanctioned club. Great little club that has a core group of flyers but 2 or 3 guys that keep P@#$#@ off new and older members because they feel that it should be there way and only there way! Just trying to understand more as I go forward!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:35 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

If the club has a running history of hosting IMAC contests and has been consistant with the entry fee, I would not have changed that. What I would have done is charged the same as the last contest and had a seperate buy in for food. I used to take a weekends worth of food with me to the contests and I would not have liked being forced to pay a higher entry that included food when it wasn't needed. That being said, when we spend 5K on an airplane, paying 50.00 or so to fly it in an event shouldn't be an issue. When traveling to a contest, the entry fee is the smallest expense.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skillet,

Sorry, I did not mean to imply anything about the club, I was just trying to mention an important point that would tend to upset a few pilots.

As far as including food in the price, sure, why not. I've been to a lot of contests that do that but they do announce it on the IMAC site in the news and events section for the contest for each region and usually in a thread here, the IMAC site or mainly FG. In my eyes, as long as it is announced ahead of time, then there would be no issue and you could even do what some of them do and that is give a discount to those that have brought their own food and hand out tickets to those that plan to eat the food that will be provided. In my experience and as you probably have already found out, IMAC pilots in general are a very honest and fun loving bunch and will not normally take advantage of any situation. Heck we even loan our competitors parts and even whole planes so they can keep on competing, even if they are in the same class and already beating you. I have had it happen to me, I had one pilot use my plane all weekend and beat me with it, pretty sad if you ask me
Old 10-15-2011, 04:47 AM
exeter_acres

Here in the South East Region, $30 to $35 is the normal entry for an IMAC event for an IMAC member.
There is no set amount, this is up to the club and/or CD
Some include meals, some don't.

There is a $3 per pilot fee that must go to IMAC. This helps with Regional trophies and expenses.

There are always set costs in a contest as well... score sheets, unknowns, printing supplies, office supplies, etc. etc.

I cannot comment on internal issues at your club, as I am not a member there...
but the Camden contest is always well run and we hope the issues can be resolved.

If you have questions, feel free to contact me

Curtis Cozier
South East Regional Director
[email protected]
Old 10-16-2011, 05:00 PM
skillet92

Bubbagates no offense taken at all. We have a very well run club that just has problems that all such clubs face. No matter the setting anytime that you get more than 1 person involved in something you will always have differences of opinions. I just needed to know some info for me and the officers so we can make some informed decisions on up coming events.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:34 AM
mithrandir

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with the $30.00 and mention a suggested Donation of $10.00 for all that participate in the Saturday evening BBQ

Usually hard headed guys like your CD are warbird guys!!

lol
Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 AM
mcollier
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Guys,

In my experience, it has been better to keep contest entry fees and concessions seperate. That way you don't get into people wanting a discount because they brought their own food...or even worse not having enough to go around...not everyone that shows up is going to want to eat there. We sell lunch by the item, and if we have a "dinner" then it is a flat buy-in fee...

And as far as your member going all vigilante, well that is something your Board of Directors in going to have to meet and discuss.

Later,
Matt