Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas powered Sukhoi????

He is gonna blow the wings off it...lol

OVERKILL!
Old 06-07-2002, 03:50 AM
MorePower

my other option is the homelite 30 that everyone always talks about. I can't find accurate weight figures on them with a mag ignition.

believe me.... If I could justify the money for an RCS, I would get one.

The plane should be at least 12 oz less that the factory kit. I moved the gear to the fuse and put some glass cloth in it. The wing is lightened too.

If anyone has heard of a the CG Sukhoi with a homelite on it, Please, let me know. The poulan is only a few oz heavier, but every bit will make it worse.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:31 PM
2lo
My Feedback: (4)

take a look at this site
http://www.conachenaircraft.com/Sukhoi.html
Old 06-14-2002, 12:48 AM
sport10

Unless you are considering the RCS 1.4 or MVVS 1.6 I would advise against using a gas engine on this size plane. It tends to push the wingloading way up. Also you would be suprised how much of that glow goo doesn't get on the plane with a proper pitts muffler. I can clean my Edge with one papertowel. The OS 1.60 will pull this plane like a rocket on 5% glowfuel.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:52 PM
MorePower

Thanks everyone for your help. With all the advise and opinions, I think I will save for an extra month or two and go with the RCS 140. The power to weight in my Suk should be awesome. No glow puke, and the cost will pay off after a few months.

Thx
M.P.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:45 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default gas sipper!

You will love the gas milegage that RCS 1.4 gives you. I ran mine with a 8 oz tank and can get 12 minutes flight with 1/4 tank left. I will be pulling mine off the present plane and installing her on a DA Funtana kit next year. I presently ran an 16 x 8 apc but i think i will try the 18 x 6 and see how that combo works out......
Old 06-20-2002, 11:30 PM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Default Conversions

I converted a 30cc Homelite and it came out to 4.25lbs with the flywheel. I estimate the thrust at 12 lbs. I pulled a Poulan 46 out of a Farmhand 2750 and without the flyhwheel or coil it weighs 3 lbs 1oz. Thrust is estimated at almost double the Homie. It seems the weedie conversions just aren't worth a darn but if you go up in size a bit like to the 46 you double your thrust and get into a high power/weight category.
I can get that $135 engine converted for another $160, including a battery and switch harness, electronic ign, mech advance, prop adapter etc. If you were going to put the engine on a high lift high winger I'd say the flywheel's extra pound wouldn't hurt, but if you want to do aerobatics go electronic ignition on the conversion. That darn flywheel is WAAAY up front and will be hard to counterbalance in the rear.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:22 AM
MorePower

2lo --- are you done your suk yet??????
Old 07-02-2002, 08:42 PM
2lo

Default gas sukhoi

MOREPOWER

Hey, yes I did get through with it,flown it a couple times now. finally got the right size props in. still waiting for engine to break in a bit more. do most of my flying at half throttle. It would appear to have unlimited vertical. I haven't flown it hard yet, still trying to find the right set up, and I did a little owy on the last landing, I let it come in a little low at end of the run way and caught some tall grass, did a slow endo, cracked the top of the rudder, minor repair.
I'm going to borrow a friends camera to show how I changed the wings to plug ins, it would be much simpler and quicker. I haven't weighed it yet, it really doesn't feel like it will be over 12lbs. if that.
I'll holler back when I get some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	16348_535.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	8585  
Old 07-03-2002, 02:24 AM
MorePower

thanks for the update. can't wait to see the wing pics. I'm just waiting now for my RCS/Moki 20 so I can finish the firewall & cowl.
Old 07-05-2002, 09:04 PM
2lo

Default plugin wings

Hello Morepower
I finally got some pics.

Name:	16731_535.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	8586  
Old 07-05-2002, 09:14 PM
2lo

Default plugin wing

morepower
after cutting the wing back in half again, making a sander to fit the spar channel and sand out the left over epoxy and do some final finish in the wing for a good fit with the spar, I used the wing saddle to retain the incidence. after useing the left over light plie to build the mount area and used the wing retainer mount help in building locking tabs for the other pieces for the wing mount. I also went ahead and built the landing gear mount also. I just used all the existing lips inside the fuse to help strengthen and retain the fixtures.

Name:	16733_535.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	8587  
Old 07-05-2002, 09:21 PM
2lo

Default plugin wings

Morepower
As you can see I have had to reinforce the landing gear, that was after building the new mount area, so it really held up well after wadding these up pretty good. I know, I know if you land them corectlly you won't have this problem, but I think I mentioned earlier that I caught some tall grass (the only grass within 5 miles and its at the end of our runway).

Name:	16735_535.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	8588  
Old 07-05-2002, 09:33 PM
2lo

Default plugin wings

Morepower
I'm sure there is alot I'm leaving out . so if you would like some more info or want some more pics I'll post them or e-mail you.
The spar I had made at a machine shop for about 15$ and 10$ for a piece of 3/8x36" aluminum. I measured the dimensions of the plans for inside the wings and added the width of the fuse to fit the spar. My wing span now is just a little over781/2 in.
holler back.

Name:	16736_535.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	8589  
Old 07-22-2002, 03:23 AM
MorePower

I got my RCS/ Moki the other day. I went to pick up all the hardware to mount & plumb it in. Should be running in a few weeks. Things go pretty slow on my bench. My daughter requires more TLC than my plane.
I got the motor from a Triad in Alberta. His motors don't come with the Spinner adapter or the carb linkage that comes with the RCS. He's great to deal with so far, and I got the engine the day after I ordered it.
I'm going to solid mount the engine. I hope it's OK....?

2lo..... That looks like a great job. I'd love to see more pics. I moved my gear forward of the leading edge, and have it coming straight down instead of swept forward. Not true to scale, but still will look better than a plane layin' on its belly on the runway with the gear punched through the wing.
As soon as I get my pics dev., I'll show you what I did.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:38 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone tried the other Poulan motors? I have been researching this and found they have the following sizes.
33cc, 38cc, 40cc, 46cc, 50cc, and 59cc(?).
Old 09-05-2002, 04:09 AM
Mike Rojas
My Feedback: (2)

Chris540,
you seem to be the only one making sense on this thread.I'm curious as to how well any of these "heavy""powerhouse"planes 3D!I'm sure they "fly"well, but 3D,I'd doubt it!!!
LOL also
Old 12-09-2002, 03:39 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default engines

bdtsr: The Poulan 46 has turned out to be a good coversion with pretty good power. I was wondering if these planes shown in this thread is still in one piece? I hope so.... CaptinJohn
Old 12-10-2002, 04:19 AM
DGrant

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Well....just to keep on track of the original post here, and also to share...I sold a Goldberg Sukhoi to a good friend last summer, and he's finally got the bugs worked out. He installed a Quadra 35, and it flies fine, actually very well. No it's definately not a 3D beast, nor is it even remotely what it was with a Moki 1.80(that was awesome combo BTW), but it sure turned out to be a very reliable, and fun plane for him to fly. It's nice when you sell something, and you see your friends having a good time with it. I think I'm as pleased to see it fly again as he is to fly it.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:06 PM
bdtsr

Well what do you know, I just happen to have a Quadra 40 sitting here that will not fit my Sig Cap. And I still have the Sukhoi! This may get interesting yet. How much weight did he need to balance? Boy, this has really got me thinking now! Smoke system, gas engine, and fun plane, what could be better?!
Old 12-10-2002, 03:57 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RC Planes & Engines

I went to a fly in and a guy from Grand Rapids Mich had a G62 on a Sukhoi and he could do about anything you could think off. It had veritcal like a rocket. This hovering stuff was not in then, it was at least 4 years ago. It was not set up for that.... just for normal tearing up the sky. I was told the plane held together for at least 3 years...That in itself should be proof you can put just about any of the smaller gassers on it. Thanks Captinjohn
Old 12-10-2002, 11:04 PM
Saberjock

Default Goldberg Sukhoi

Several of them have been/are flying in our locale. None are slimers!!! Power plants go from Q-35, U.S. 41 to Brison 2.4 The Brison is the best. Just thought I'd let you know.

But if I had to choose a smaller engine, I'd go with the WVVS 1.6 on gasoline. I have one and it's a winner. It comes into Canada a bit cheaper than the RCS 1.4, too. Tex.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:45 AM
DGrant

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

bdtsr, I'm not sure how much weight he used to balance...if any. The plane is set-up with elevator servos in the rear too, and it's heavy anyways in the tail. I had a Moki 1.80 in it, and I still had to add about 8oz to the nose to get a decent CG. I honestly don't think he added any come to think of it. I do know it has Hi-tec 605' servos in the tail, along with truely balanced counter-balancers, so there is definatly weight built in the tail already. The plane does weigh in now at about 16lbs. So don't expect any blazing performance...however, it really does look like alot of fun to fly, and nothing on it was remotely expensive.
If you have Q-40 you'd do good to put it on this plane...with a little planning it would really be decent. Again, if your looking for like a 3-D plane at all, this IS NOT the ticket, but it sure makes you grin, and can add some excitement to a CG Sukhoi.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:04 PM
bdtsr

Dale, Thanks for the info. I wanted something fun and cheap to fly. I have a G62 powered Giant Stinger for 3Ding (ok everyone can stop snickering!). My Sukhoi will have a Sig Cap 231EX wing grafted onto it (easier and cheaper to fix than the Sukhoi wing). I also have a B&B Smoke sytem to go on it. Should be fun!.
Brian