Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

IMAC Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 07:45 AM
PJFaller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMAC Noise?

Just ordered a Carden 40% extra 330 and a DA150. I was woindering what everyones opinion on noise was? I really do not want to put cannisters on the airplane and with talking to DA they said that a 30x12 mejlik will keep it quiet enough on their mufflers. what do you all think?

Pete
Old 11-02-2004, 09:21 AM
Blow n Go

Default RE: IMAC Noise?

Hey Pete,
The 30-12 will be quiet if you learn to keep the plane speed down. It will still rip if you stay in the throttle, though. Standard mufflers will be loud, but hey, it's only a 1% - if that - point penalty in IMAC.

Cannisters are the future........you may want to get a jump on it while you are in the building stage. After flying with cans, you find yourself cringing every time a non-can plane fires up.

CJ
Old 11-02-2004, 09:44 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Even with throttle mgmt. that combo is loud. If you change it to a 3 blade prop like a Air Models it will still take good throttle mgmt to be quiet.

It all comes down to a persons definition of loud. Talk to Brian at DA about his KS setup in his Carden extra. It is a quiet, trouble free setup with a very smooth throttle band.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Silent-AV8R

I fly my DA150 with stock mufflers using an Airmodels 32x12 2-blade. Pulls great and I got good sound scores at the Shootout. The 28x12 3-blade is nice too.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:17 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

I have found that, since I started using cannister mufflers, that I enjoy the sound- rather the lack of the "barking" sound that I would sometimes hear without them.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

On the negative side, cans add weight to the plane (1-2 lbs), sometimes have issues with reliability (headers break, couplers slide loose) and can make the plane so quiet that it becomes difficult to tell if the engine is running. If you're way out in the box on a downline at idle you can be SOL if your motor quits. You can't hear the motor flameout - you'll find out when you throttle up and there is no power. You better have a dead reliable engine.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:42 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU
You better have a dead reliable engine.
Fortunately these are available in great abundance. Simply call Desert Aircraft and ask for a DA engine!!

Sorry, the door was just TOO wide open!!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:16 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually - I built four (4) H9 33% models - first three all had the 80 single on a tuned muffler - and I flew em a lot - they were (still are) quiet and extremely strong.
So -I did my Cap with the 100 and used the in cowl mufflers
Frankly I don't like to fly it - it is so darn noisy - even running big props (which do run quiet) the exhaust noise is a pain.
I now have to retrofit the thing-to get rid of the noise.
The worst part is that I have fitted many local gassers ( 40-160 types) with tuned systems and when I bring my plane out -I get the needle from all the quiet flyers !
Oh well--
but as for "quiet enough?"

that is a touchy subject.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:19 AM
otterdriver

Hi Guys I like the smoothness that cans or tune pipes give the motor all the motors I have tried them on 60-150cc have had a better throttle transition with no more burbling in the mid range a definite plus for trying to fly a smooth sequence in IMAC. Mark,
Old 11-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Kevgofly
My Feedback: (2)

Pete,
I built a Carden 330 with a DA 150 and MTW cans last season. I have a lot of flights on it now and can say, I couldn't be happier with the total package, especially the engine and pipe combo. I have a great power to weight ratio and the engine runs so smooth. The install of cans in the Carden was a breeze and the power gain with the MTW's offsets the weight gain (I got all the weight back by installing a carbon wing tube and landing gear) . I would definitely recomend going with the cans. I have not had to do any maintenance on mine, the flex headers have not leaked (except with smoke oil, if you decide to use smoke with them, put the smoke tap behind the flex!) or cracked or any of the other nightmares you hear about.

I was running a 3 blade Mej 28X12, as the motor starting breaking in it was getting loud, so I was going to switch to a Mej 28.5X12 then I tried the 2 blade 30X12. This prop is very quite for a 2 blade and has enough thrust to allow you to pull the nose up, then apply power so you don't have to rip the prop coming into a manuever.

If you need install pictures or suggestions let me know I'd be happy to help out. Good luck to you, your going to love this plane!

Kevin
Old 11-08-2004, 07:28 PM
PJFaller

Thanks for all the info and encouragement guys I appreciate it.

Pete