Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Question about IMAC plane setup.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 04:47 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about IMAC plane setup.

I'm interested in flying in IMAC contests next season, but no one around me flies IMAC so I'm hoping I can get some advice from other IMAC pilots on this forum. I have some questions about plane setups.

1a. Do you use the same mechanical setup for servos linkages on both pattern and free style? I would think there would be a large precision advantage if the 3D throws were mechanically eliminated when flying precision, but I have never tested this on my plane.

1b. If you do use a different mechanical setup, what do you change? Just the arms, the whole link, etc?

2. Are nylon gears OK for use on a 35% for IMAC flying, or should I stay with metal gears?

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If you have the Acrobat Reader, go to this link to see an article written by Len Alessi, an experienced Team JR member and model airplane enthusiast from Albuquerque, New Mexico

http://www.horizonhobby.com/media/pd...basicsetup.pdf
Old 09-03-2002, 11:01 PM
FlyHard

If you can get a copy of the video Jason Shulman did on 3D setups it would be a help. Take a look at
http://www.jasonshulman.com/video.html
Worth the money $20.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:10 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default Re: Question about IMAC plane setup.

Answers inserted in color:
Originally posted by MonkeyBoy
I'm interested in flying in IMAC contests next season, but no one around me flies IMAC so I'm hoping I can get some advice from other IMAC pilots on this forum. I have some questions about plane setups.

1a. Do you use the same mechanical setup for servos linkages on both pattern and free style? I would think there would be a large precision advantage if the 3D throws were mechanically eliminated when flying precision, but I have never tested this on my plane. Most pilots use the same mechanical set ups for precision and freestyle. Only Dave von Linsowe used different servo arms at the last TOC (according to my sources).

1b. If you do use a different mechanical setup, what do you change? Just the arms, the whole link, etc? Change just the arms if you go this route. You may also use an entriely different airplane for each sequence.
2. Are nylon gears OK for use on a 35% for IMAC flying, or should I stay with metal gears? Nylon gears are fine for 35% planes and many are using them on the JR 8411's (there is a kit available to change them from Horizon which gives less servo slop).
Thanks.
Go to a contest and enjoy! You will learn more there than on any site. Once you start to fly the information will flow your way.

EXCAP232
Old 09-04-2002, 12:41 AM
Geistware

EXCAP232,
I have to agree with you. I entered my first contest 2 weeks ago and did very well (3 of 8). The judges are more that happy to coach you after the round is done. The pointers are invaluable.

I will say that your plane must fly straight to be able to compete well. I spent a lot of time setting my plane up so that most of the bad tendencies were eliminated.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:54 AM
OnTheEdge

I asked a similar question on the gsal.org site and this is the response I got from Dick Hanson:

"....Mark- what is really good for Precision flying --is not really best for the 3d
stuff.
The mix on a well balanced model simply is left on <my question had to do with leaving a rudder to elevator mix on or off during 3d flying>
But-
If you have time - setup your plane for solid -accurate precision- then just
pile on all the <tail> weight you can stand for the 3d stuff- set up that
arrangement on a separate model <memory> or switch, in your radio. -This is actually
easier than trying to learn to fly a tail heavy model and try to also get best
precision flying.
I have yet to see one setup which optimizes both.

Some of the new radios - have a setup which allows one switch to work for a
full set of variables - then flip the switch for the other setup.
The JR 10x is my favorite for this.
just add the weight and flip to 3D when you want to do that....."

As for changing arms I wouldn't think you'd need to do it assuming you have a strong set up with strong accurate servos. Obviously the memory in your radio will be set up with only a small amount of throw as compared to the outragous throws you'll have for 3D rates.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:25 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

hey geistware, you have anymore sites with set-ups using futaba radios? lol
Old 09-04-2002, 07:14 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default Thnaks for the help!

Thanks to all for the help. I found the JR setup doc useful even if I do use a 9ZAP. All the same stuff... just named a little different.

EXCAP232, I'd love to attend a IMAC contest this year but there are no more in my neck of the woods. Closest was KC (4hrs) and Denver (7.5hrs), neither of which is in my District and both are history. The closest contest in my district is about 1000 miles away... that's messed up IMO. Anyway, I'm hoping to meet some IMAC pilots in Salina, KS this weekend at their IMAA flyin.

EXCAP232, I assume when you say nylon gears are OK on 35% this means they are OK with a 35% set up for 3D throws. I would actually prefer to use nylon gears due to the lower gear lash, but I don't want to strip gear trains. My concern (probably unfounded) is that local folk have beat it into my head that I must use metal gears, yet I have seen several <30% aerobatic planes that use nylon gears.

OnTheEdge: I do something similar to what you describe by switching conditions on my ZAP between precision and 3D; however, I do not change my CG. I kinda like the idea of adding tail weight for 3D. I will try that. From your post my understanding is that I should get the plane flying precision well and then start playing around with tailweight and 3D throws?

One additional question if I may. How do I determine which class I should start competing in? I ask because I find basic too simple. I was thinking Intermediate or Advanced... probably Intermediate. I really don't care how I place as long as I can do the pattern well. How do others decide?

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:04 PM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Default A nice trick....

to do what Dick is saying (and is in Jason's video) is to build into the tail of your plane a small wing tube section. Balance the plane for good sequence flying, then add wing tubes with melted lead in them to get the 3D tail heavy set up. Nice, clean, and easy.....
Old 09-04-2002, 10:33 PM
Geistware

MonkeyBoy,
Get all 5 sequences and fly them until you find one that challenges you. I can fly Basic, Sportsman, and Intermediate. I do them better than the average guy but still compete in Basic until I get consistent 8's or better which shows that I have the basics mastered. (use it loosely!) Then I plan to move up.

Shortman,
I find that a lot of my site's material is popular!
Old 09-04-2002, 10:39 PM
OnTheEdge

"...... From your post my understanding is that I should get the plane flying precision well and then start playing around with tailweight and 3D throws?...."

Yes, as Dick had mentioned get the plane to fly as best as possible with all throws, trims, CG, mixes, expo, etc. set for precision flying and then lock this into a model memory on your radio. Then add tail weight in some sort of way that can be easily added/removed and then start all over and set up the plane to fly freestyle/3D and but only this time in a DIFFERENT model memory. I'm in the process of getting this set up now. I have my radio set up for triple rates that are all assigned to the same switch. When all h3!! breaks loose I only need to flip one switch and all surfaces are in low rate. See below photo. This is of my phenolic in the rear of the plane to add tailweight for freestyle/3D flying. (the metal thing is a clamp holding it till the epoxy dries). I have a hole in the bottom of the plane that allows me to insert the lead weight. (Haven't gotten that far yet as I'm still getting set up for precision flying for a contest this weekend)

Good luck..........Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	24487_2228.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	15479  
Old 09-05-2002, 01:10 AM
Shortman

geistware, ive read your site about 50 times thouroughly lol, and ia really like the check lists and matenince list (sp)
Old 09-05-2002, 09:55 AM
Geistware

Shortman,
Thanks for the compliment. The site is made up of contributions over the years. I had thought about covering some of the JR information over to Futaba but I don't have a JR radio. I do plane to make some additions to the aerobatic animations as well as another setup plan. If you come across anything that you would like to share with everyone just email it to me and I will update the site!

Again, thanks.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:25 AM
Shortman

sounds good!

think maybe if i send you some pics and info you could post a review of my h9 edge 540?
Old 09-06-2002, 09:38 AM
Geistware

Shortman,
Send it, give me a week or two, and it will be up.
Thanks
Old 09-08-2002, 04:03 AM
Shortman

geistware,

it will be a while before i get it up and flying or even built for that matter, but ill let you know