IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Why do you fly IMAC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Breakstuff5050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do you fly IMAC?

This is kinda off subject but...

I hated watching the 40% plane at the joe nall with the elctric motor fly, i'd rather see some improvements in more reliable, lighter, and more powerful gasser engines. Does anyone want to bolt an elctric motor with 5 LBs worth of LiPoly (I doubt there is that much but I want this to sound more dramatic) into their airplane? I think i'll stick with good'ol 3W or DA!
Old 05-25-2005, 05:22 AM
Angus Balfour

Pattern needs to revamp their rules. As long as they're locked into 2 meters and 5Kg, the planes just don't have the interest of big IMAC gassers. The future of pattern appears to be electric...that's even more of a snorer for me. Yes, pattern planes fly great. They'd fly even greater with the 3 meter rule and no weight limits.
Yes they would. But F3A is more of a commercial class so the models have to remain relatively easily transportable and cheaper (although I'm not sure this applies so much these days with the current costs). If they were to change the rules to 3m then F3A would be wiped out the world over apart from in the States. What’s the use of that?

If you want to fly big model you do IMAC. The nature of F3A is (and always will be if it is to remain viable) to use smaller models. Then of course there is the noise aspect as well from large petrol types. They sound great but how many flying sites can actually cater for these huge, noisy models? Not that many, certainly not an awful lot here in the UK.

Angus
Old 05-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Kanain
My Feedback: (1)

Mark - I too commend you for your comments. By the way - I have been noticing the practice you put forth on the tailslides. We had a discussion about them last year - when an unfavorable FLOP came your way.

Though I have been out of competition for years, I am getting back into the swing. When I first flew pattern and SA - back in the late 70's / early 80's, there was no such thing as 3D. We never even entertained the thought. I was also flying full scale Advanced in the 80's so R/C aerobatics just seemed a natural past time - though it was far more than a "past time".

Precision aerobatics are far more challenging than 3D flying. It took me 5 flights and lots of setup adjustments to learn how to hover and torque roll. Took me a whole day to get good at high alpha - harrier - rolls (inside, outside, alternating roll direction, changing circle direction, etc.). STILL (after almost 30 years) haven't found the perfect one roll rolling circle - full scale or model. Oh, I can make them pretty but they are never perfect.

By the way - look at the difference in a freestyle routine from say QuiQue or Mark to a "dedicated" 3D'er. If you know precision aerobatics, you will see that the rolling circles or loops of these two guys - You to Showtime - still make every attempt to fit the 90deg positions, stay round, and stay continuous. 3D'er just want to make sure it doesn't hit the ground. The freesytle routines of IMAC pilots tend to be smoother and more put together. Then again, the good one's are always thinking about placement and presentation as well as entry and exit speeds. Flying a good sequence makes you respect energy management. Even with a 2:1 thrust to weight ratio, aerobatics should be flown on the wing - not the engine. Full scale pilots know this and show it when flying RC.

After all this talk - the most important thing about flying IMAC or pattern (or even sport flying for that matter) is the one thing you won't hear most of these people say - STRAIGHT and LEVEL.

Good luck and good flying to all.
Aresti (2004) - I knew you were kidding. One question though, why are you still flying last years sequences - LOL.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:32 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

All those folks are sponsored and I do understand that sponsors look at IMAC pilots to promote thier products. I'm not really interested in sponsorship or competition, only becoming a better pilot. I'll start practicing for IMAC and see if it benefits my flying....
Where's the visibility in IMAC? IMAC doesn't draw crowd, freestyle hotdogs do. Your logic is sorely flawed. Folks do it (including me) because it's freaking hard to do right!!! I'm fairly competant at 3D, but damn... is IMAC ever giving me a challenge!!!

Most people I know who fly model planes, let alone IMAC, fly them because they wish they could fly a real plane. IMAC pilots wish they could strap on Patty Wagstaff's Extra for a few passes and do the real thing...reality is that not all of us are that fortunate.
That's crap. I fly full scale for a living... and not gay full scale either... we're talking balls to the wall (well... they don't like it when you go over 250 KIAS without a waiver) at 200 feet through the mountains and a lot of NVG and formation and airdrop stuff... all in a 150,000 lbs plane with four beautiful motors purring in my ear. You know what? I like my RC gassers better... no planning, no risk of life or limb, noone shooting at me... just fun and BS out in the sun. That's the good life my friend. Don't get me wrong... if someone gave my a Zivko rig I would gladly take it, but I don't think I could get all wrapped up in competition with the thing... 8 negative G's... yuk.

Oh, and anyone can dial down their low rates and just try to keep their plane in sight and pray this isn't the one out of 5 times their gear won't come down... jets are gay.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Breakstuff5050

I still wish I had a pilots license
Old 05-26-2005, 08:58 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Wow... my first edited post. Better clean up my musings.