Pensacola IMAC - Who is going? >

Pensacola IMAC - Who is going?

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Pensacola IMAC - Who is going?

Old 06-08-2006, 09:54 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pensacola IMAC - Who is going?

I've stayed away from this sound check question until now because it seems to be getting a pretty good airing. Since I started IMAC back when the ground checks were being performed, I'm not too concerned myself. But, the Pensacola guys should explain just how they intend to pursue this since, overall, IMAC now does in-flight sound scores rather than db checks. If Pensacola is following the current IMAC sound rules as published, that's OK. However, if they have some special local or club rules that are being enforced, then our IMAC officials should have approved them first.

I'm all for keeping the noise within acceptable levels especially since I've spent damn near $600.00 doing this on my airplane. Let's get this cleared up and not discourage guys who want to start flying IMAC and are not sure if this is a problem here.

I think some clarification by Ron Bullard or Tony Stillman would be in order here to answer the doubts. I know that I'm seeing some uneasiness in our guys here with "What if I go and I'm not allowed to fly?" concerns.

Chris Tomberlin
Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 AM
My Feedback: (39)

The sound checks will be done on the ground, pavement, using a high quality sound meter furnished by AMA. The set up will be in accordance with the IMAC rules, distance, etc. We will also be at the field all day Friday doing courtesy sound checks for anyone that would like it. If I can be of any additional assiatnce, please let me know.

Ron Bullard
Old 06-08-2006, 02:30 PM
My Feedback: (16)

I am under the umpression that there are two ways to immediately address a failed sound check.
One is to change the propeller. Second is to reduce the MAX RPM.
Why would anyone not be allowed to fly.
While we may not have extra propellers everyone can reduce there max RPM speed.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:41 PM

Thanks Ron,

Just wanted to clear up the questions. We're all looking forward to your contest as one of the really good ones this season.

Chris
Old 06-08-2006, 04:29 PM

For all of the attendees that were calling regarding a campground, I have a ball field that is approximately 2 miles from the flying field that can be used for overnight camper/moterhome use. See me friday at the field and I will have a map and drections.

Ron Bullard
Old 06-08-2006, 08:42 PM
My Feedback: (12)

well, i know that my setup in the air is not too loud or annoying. ive heard a few 40% rip props insanely. I guess i can only wait and see how it goes.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:07 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Guys, my buddy is a field rep for vess aero (Jeremy Holt) and he will have a full line of props from 32" to 33" for 150's, 27" for 100's and some 26" stuff for the 80's. Unfortunately we my not make it in as early as planned but anyone can. try them before of after flying starts on Saturday. We also have some other carbon props to use that others may like to try such as a 3W 32x12 carbon prop and a newer design such as the 32x14 cf props if anyone would like to strap them on a see how the compre. If any of you are interested give us a shout and we will have what you want to try ready to go when we get there.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:11 PM
My Feedback: (19)

So these sound checks are just for information purposes? Or is the CD going to enforce the sound and ground anybody who is too loud? I am not worried about it, just curious to see what the purpose is since this hasnt been done in quite awhile. I am actually looking forward to it, and to try some of these new props on the market.

See ya guys next weekend!
Old 06-09-2006, 07:23 AM

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ryans Rebel

ORIGINAL: sewbusy

Hi Ryan.... I have to agree with Miles... I'm of the opinion that a Mezjlik or menz 32x10 (even on cannisters) won't pass a sound check.... The REAL question is: Will pilots be allowed to fly after they do the sound check if they are over the db limit?

The fact is that the ground sound test has little relation to how an airplane sounds in the sky..... I've watched & heard pilots with good throttle management use a Mezjlik 32x10 in competition that were not loud at all.... On the other hand I've also heard other pilots with the same combination who were "waking up the dead'!!

I'm bringing a 32x10 B Vess prop....it's brand spanking new & unused...all drilled & perfectly balanced...You're welcomed to try it on Friday to see how it performs...
I'll try to contact Robert Vess to see if he wants to send down a few 32x10s (C & D) to hear the sound difference....
Wayne
Sew Busy
http://www.sewbusy.com
Wayne,

I will have with me at the contest a 32B & 32C in case I have problems

Dan - No we are not going to Tulsa. Texoma is a posibility.

Ryan
Hey Ryan.... I contacted Robert Vess yesterday & he was very receptive & concerned with any noise situation. He shipped off to me 2 props 32x10C & a 32x10D for testing there... I will bring them to the contest. His Rep, Jeremy Holt, will also be there with a bunch of props that anyone can try.
See you next week.... I'm off to the field for a little practice today...
Wayne
Old 06-09-2006, 12:14 PM

Up date on the camping situation. We have been grated permission to use a ball field on church property that is approximately 2 miles from the filed. So anyone needing a place for campers/motorhomes, "COME ON DOWN". Maps and directions will be availiable at the filed on Friday. See you there.

Ron Bullard
Old 06-10-2006, 08:12 AM

The sound requirments have been in place for a while.
Every contentest waved this requirement.
This contest is the first one in a while who has not waved it.

ORIGINAL: xtra 330

So these sound checks are just for information purposes? Or is the CD going to enforce the sound and ground anybody who is too loud? I am not worried about it, just curious to see what the purpose is since this hasnt been done in quite awhile. I am actually looking forward to it, and to try some of these new props on the market.

See ya guys next weekend!
Old 06-10-2006, 09:45 AM
My Feedback: (22)

Guys, looks like we will get there early afternoon on Friday and Jeremy will have a full line up of Vess props including 32" A,B,C & D Props 33" A,B & C Props 27 A,B,C & D Props and 26" A,B,C & D Props.

Jonas
Old 06-11-2006, 11:04 AM
BKH
My Feedback: (4)

I'll be there. Gonna try basic. I'm still not clear if you can fly or not if you don't pass the noise check?
I'm uzing a ZDZ-80 with a Supersonic Pitts and a Mejzlik 26-10. Looking forward to trying out a Vess.
Brian Hawthorne
Old 06-12-2006, 05:29 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Ron,

Is the weather situation going to change anything ? I am a little concerned.

Tony fandino
Old 06-12-2006, 05:39 PM

Forecast for this weekend is clear and HOT. Its been running in the low 90's so far this season, which is above average. We are not expecting the storm to have an effect on this weekend. SHOULD be long gone---but like everything else in life--there are NO guarantees.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:51 PM

Best of Luck to all the South Central Pilots, as well as everone else who is going to heading to Pensacola...

Dan P
Old 06-13-2006, 05:38 PM

Stan Stockman is not going to make it for Unlimited, but got word that Adam Ranck is coming to take his spot. I know the XFC is this weekend, but none of the Fla Unlimited guys are coming to the event? Hopefully they are, and just have not posted on the site....if not, its going to be a HOT weekend in the chair for the Unlimited guys judging(not enough of them to go around)

As far as props are concerned, does anybody have(has) the new PT carbon fiber props from Troybuilt. I have heard good things about them on the smaller engines, just curious about the 150 range? Also, I will have some of my own personal props for anyone to try out, they are all for the 150cc range though.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:03 PM

As of tonight, you can delete Joe Ryan and myself from the list.
I am having equipment problems and Joe is having transportation problems.
See you guys in Camden, SC

ORIGINAL: Ryans Rebel

Sportsman:
Phil Oubre
Jim Langford
Geistware (Delete)
Kurtis Waites
Gene Sedgwick

Advanced:
Ryan Gonsoulin
Ron Storer
Joe Ryan (Delete)
Old 06-15-2006, 08:41 AM

NO! We need more advanced pilots! []
Old 06-15-2006, 08:46 AM

Pilots list updated 6-15-06, 9:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:14 AM

There seems to be a lot of concern regarding the sound check procedures. We are using the AMA sound meter that has been shipped in for this weekend. Checks will be performed in accordance to the direction written on the IMAC rule book. Sorry for all of the confusion regarding this matter.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:09 PM

so....if the noise is above the limit...does the pilot not fly or is this just for information purposes?

Or are we going to do the in flight judgeing of sound?

If they are still too loud, do they get grounded?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:20 PM

If the aircraft cannot pass the sound test, it will not fly. If you fail the test, make adjustments, i.e., change props, etc and pass the sound test, you can fly, as configured to pass the test. There will not be a airborn sound test. Hope to see you here. As of this afternoon, we already have five pilots here, and expect to break 30 entries.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:26 PM
My Feedback: (69)

That would bite if someone drove several hours and was not allowed to compete because of noise on the ground, not in the air. That might limit the folks you get to come to events.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:46 PM

It pays to know also that it is very possible to pass the ground test and still have judges give a "0" on inflight sound because of improper throttle use or "ripping the prop". In that case too you are given a chance to make corrections before the next flight. If you are too loud on your next flight, it's possible you could be grounded. Bottom line: IMAC is serious about reducing sound levels - it's been in the rules for, I believe, four years now.

Chris

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.