IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Thumbs or fingers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 03:05 PM
texomalaser
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumbs or fingers?

Ok..Heres the deal. I have been flying for 23 years and I learned to fly with my thumbs. Yep. Im a thumbs pilot. Im a pretty darn good one too by golly. But a friend of mine which has been flying about as long as me is a thumbs pilot also and he feels the same way. We both have tried to switch to using the finger and thumbs thing but almost crash everytime. Its weird!!! Its like learning to fly all over again. But when we were flying helis it seemed to be something you almost had to do when it came to hard core 3D. But with the IMAC Im wondering the same. WOuld it help to learn to use a finger for stick support? It also makes it easier to use a neck strap to. Because with a thumbs pilot you have to wrap your hands around the radio. Right? I do anyways. I also see a lot of aerobatic Gods fly with thumbs and fingers. Especcially a heli pilot... But I wonder what a guy can do to re-train himself to use this format? I even tried to use a simulator and its just plain weird. Its like a right handed person trying to write with his left hand. it can be done but its a disaster. [&o] But anyways. I thought of posting this because I told a new guy to start learning to use his thumb and fingers to fly...So anyways...Thats my 2.3 cents worth....Many Tens........

Scott S.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:14 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thumbs or fingers?

I find a neck strap or transmitter tray necessary to use thumb and finger, because I have fairly small hands and simply cannot hold the box and run the sticks at the same time. A neck strap is always a good idea, anyways, just to prevent a possible fumble moment turning into a trashed plane or worse. You will also notice that most (all?) pattern flyers use a strap or tray and they have the highest demands for precision of any of the competitive flyers. I can fly either way, but the thumbs are certainly less precise and controlled than the thumb and finger. My $0.02...

Mark
Old 07-18-2006, 03:36 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Use to be the thumb finger method was the way to go for smoooooth precision flying. Now with computer radio's things can be dialed down around neutral so much I don't really think it matters. Just program the computer and go fly...
Old 07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
BullardRM
My Feedback: (39)

I too was a thumbs flyer for over 35 years. Just "the way its was". Recently switch to a tray (Madison Products) and it has the pads that support my hands. Found it very easy to fly with finger/thumb and the precision improved greatly. It did take a little getting used to, but now I won't use anything else.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

I really havn't found a way i normaly fly becuase im always switching back and forth. People at the field is like your hands are going all over the place on the transmitter. I got this weird thing. Normally when im just crusing the sky ill use the finger and thumb but, when i start doing aerobatics or a manuver ill switch to the thumb so i can get the large throws easily.
If i try to keep the finger and thumb all the way through the large throws i find myself pulling, for example, a little down elevator with ailerons.
Ill say do what your confortable with, if you find your way is not providing you enough control try tweaking your style a little till your confortable.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:08 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

I initially learned with my thumbs but over the years observed many better pilots(to me at least )using their thumb and finger. Finally some years back after an hiatus from the hobby I grabbed my Supra Fly off the wall cycled the nicads and used both digets and would never consider thumbs only again.

We have a recent import in this country(I'm no fan) who flys a red blue yellow and white Yak using his thumbs and some say he is number one [sm=lol.gif]
Old 08-02-2006, 09:12 PM
pizza
My Feedback: (24)

many years ago at toc I tried to speak to some of the top us flyers including one that flew a bipe but got the cold shoulder, yes I am a nobody but felt like these guys were only in it for the money. then out of the mob mr. import came up with his father and answered some questions with good english - I felt he had time for the little guy with stupid questions. because of this encounter I graduated to giant scale and developed my flying skill. today mr. import attends low key events to promote the hobby and make time for little people. In my oppinion mr. import is number one on the field and off. it is nice to have someone at that level here in the us committed to the hobby and not just in it for the glory.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Bobby Folsom

I'll throw my two cents worth in here. I started using a neck strap last year when I purchased my 10X. I had flown Futaba for years and never use a strap. I, like you, decided to try a neck strap with my 10X since it was a new feel and I figured that I may as well learn both things at the same time. Well, now I can't fly without a neck strap.

I have tried the thumb thing but didn't like it at all and quit trying to force it. I'm comfortable with the thumbs.

Bobby
Old 08-03-2006, 08:30 AM
ramcfarland

You of course are referring to Chip an American R/C icon instructed by his father and the best pilot since perhaps Hanno Prettner

ORIGINAL: pizza

many years ago at toc I tried to speak to some of the top us flyers including one that flew a bipe but got the cold shoulder, yes I am a nobody but felt like these guys were only in it for the money. then out of the mob mr. import came up with his father and answered some questions with good english - I felt he had time for the little guy with stupid questions. because of this encounter I graduated to giant scale and developed my flying skill. today mr. import attends low key events to promote the hobby and make time for little people. In my oppinion mr. import is number one on the field and off. it is nice to have someone at that level here in the us committed to the hobby and not just in it for the glory.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:33 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: texomalaser

But I wonder what a guy can do to re-train himself to use this format?
Why?
If it has been working for you why change?

This question has been asked so many times and I never get it.
Its like asking "Do you put your left leg into your pants first or your right leg?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:38 AM
texomalaser
My Feedback: (2)

Good point...Its just sometimes I feel like if I had that finger there it would give me extra precision...[8D]
Old 08-03-2006, 01:29 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

ORIGINAL: texomalaser

But I wonder what a guy can do to re-train himself to use this format?
Why?
If it has been working for you why change?

This question has been asked so many times and I never get it.
Its like asking "Do you put your left leg into your pants first or your right leg?
I used to think you should never change something if it works for you, but then I always remember when Dick Fosbury came along in the high jump. Before him, everybody used the "traditional" technique. He came along with the "Fosbury Flop" and changed the sport overnight. So it never hurts to try something new. You might wind up clearing 7 feet .
Old 08-03-2006, 06:32 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

At the 2004 tucson shootout I talked with all the name pilots that were there, and it was a good group of pilots. They were all nice enough to talk with me about their set up and radio.

The main thing I got out of the talks, everyone does it different.

Half used thumbs. Some used dual rates, some conditions and some never touched a switch in flight, some use lots of expo, some don't.
The biplane guy was nice enough to go through his entire airplane setup, but I waited until he wasn't busy.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:51 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: quist

The main thing I got out of the talks, everyone does it different.
One thing all the top guys have in common is that they all practice their tails off.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:57 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: ramcfarland

I initially learned with my thumbs but over the years observed many better pilots(to me at least )using their thumb and finger. Finally some years back after an hiatus from the hobby I grabbed my Supra Fly off the wall cycled the nicads and used both digets and would never consider thumbs only again.

We have a recent import in this country(I'm no fan) who flys a red blue yellow and white Yak using his thumbs and some say he is number one [sm=lol.gif]
"Imports" are what made this country what it is today. Live with it.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:14 AM
ramcfarland

Yea!!!!European imports
Old 08-06-2006, 05:37 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Racism?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: wgeffon
Left. Thanks for asking!
Old 08-06-2006, 01:17 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

left shoe has to go on first also.[sm=lol.gif]

I fly thumbs and tried the finger thing and found it not comfortable.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:51 PM
ramcfarland

Well--------hummmmmmmmmmmmm----------according to a fluent English speaking Sociologist from Puerto Rico whom states statistically the "majority"will become the minority____ in the next decade or two and as I recall when I got my grade it was a B because I missed that question
Old 08-07-2006, 12:54 AM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Come to california. The majority is the minority, lol.
As for the statement about Chip. Too funny. What can you say about that guy? LOL.
I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he seems to have his issues.
He didn't show up for our contest this weekend as he was going to. Although his plane was there.
Yes. He has his issue's. LOL

Old 08-07-2006, 09:04 AM
ramcfarland

Probably why in sorts I admire the guy.

To be on top of the game ,the honor,the prestige,the self confidence building perceptions associated with being #1 in your contested interest ..you must as they say be 100%[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93667.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	503313  
Old 08-09-2006, 09:56 AM
athos341
My Feedback: (33)

I have been flying for 30 yrs now and fly everything from trainer to Jets, Cubs to 3d and fly all the same way. Fingers and thumbs. I have found I get a much better feel and fly with almost no expo on my 40% 3d planes. I have met only one pilot in this hobby that with just thumbs is the smoothest flyer I have ever seen. That is Dean Digeorgio. But he has thousands of practice and comp hrs. Fly what every makes you more comfortable but I think you'll find a better feel for the plane with combining the finger and thumb.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:16 AM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I thought Quique was a thumbs flyer though.
I'll have to watch the etoc video again as that's where I thought I saw him.
Chris
Old 08-09-2006, 05:11 PM
wgeffon

Tons of top guys use only thumbs...
One way isnt better than the other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.