IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Giant Scale Planes . Com ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 06:16 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale Planes . Com ??

Does anyone have hands on with any of these ARF's?? I am looking at the 80" Edge and the 80" Giles. The pictures look good, but what are the planes like??

This is the Edge......
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2003, 06:17 PM
2fast4u

This is the Giles......
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2003, 06:53 PM
OOPSIDIDITAGAIN
My Feedback: (8)

Default GSA

Unfortunately, a picture isn't always always worth a thousand words! I bought the Edge 540T and wished I'd bought a kit instead. At least it would have taken less time from the box to the field.
Unless a person doesn't care about a planes looks, wood quality, overall flying weight or the use of hot glue in all the wrong places, then the flashy catalog pictures and low prices make for a sweet deal.
In a nutshell, I had to strip all the covering because the surfaces looked like they were sanded with a cheese grader. This is where I found your atypical asian imports weakest link...the lousy wood! From spongy balsa to porus types of ply (or unply),I replaced enough to build a forty sized fun fly.
Then there was the good ole' glue my wife uses for her scrap book along with a hundred other crafts.
Lastly, after removing excess baggage, I ended up skinng the entire fuse just to acheive a reasonable surface to recover the plane on. And that means all surfaces!
Am I picky, over cautious or prideful? Perhaps! But atleast mine looks better than a heap of Catalog pretty-gooy glued-pile of- cheap wood bargain. Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2003, 08:06 PM
2fast4u

I hear ya brother!!!! Looks like I need to move on to the AeroWorks or something else that I know something about. Like they say, you get what you pay for and sometimes, more expensive does mean better.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:21 AM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

I second that on GSP's products.I have owned 3of their planes(arfs) & in a "roundabout way" without trying not to product bash these planes are not built very well ,the covering is cheeseball and like it was stated above wood quality & glue joints leave much to be desired.I had their 60 size giles & before I even finished it the pinstripes were all peeling off then on the 1st landing on a perfect scale landing I might add, the entire main gear block departed .Upon inspecting the area I found that they only tack glued the area ,then if it I wasnt leary enough as is on its 2nd flight the wing bolt retaining block came unglued.I had their 60 size P51 and the fiberglass fuse was very brittle & the covering and invasion bars on the wings started coming off right way.I could go on & on about them but I wont.Just be aware what your getting for a bargain price-we all know by now in this hobby that it normally doesnt spell much when its "a very cheap price"

like we all know you get exactly what you pay for and it only makes sense esp. after having several of the gsp line planes now to spend 40-60 more $ and get something that will last for years to come.I will never own another one personally & they arent very friendly folks on the phone either.I do think its very important to get reviews from fellow fliers before buying a new plane from a company you haven't bought from before.Had I done that I never would have owned the first one..Sorry if it sounds like I am bashing or rambling on.It's just my 2 cents on "consumer reports" of RC planes

regards-Steve
Old 04-26-2003, 02:24 PM
blacksheep
My Feedback: (1)

Default All bad or some?

My friend tells me that it is only their aerobats that are poorly constructed while the warbirds are well made. Each being sourced from vastly different manufacturers.

The war birds are China Model Productions and I have been considering getting the F4U Corsair. Hesitation is that the Wing ( the signature point of that very plane) has been botched in the location of the landing gear. The whole idea of the inverted gull was to get the gear closer to tera firma so it didn't have long legs like the FW190. There are probably other "liberties" taken but I can't seem to find any other Corsair ARF that is light weight and in the 1/7th size except some older model on ebay called an ESM Corsair. Anybody familiar with that one?

Regards
Old 04-26-2003, 05:54 PM
MUSTANG505

You could build the D&L Edge 540. You pick all your own wood so it comes out nice and light. It is slightly bigger than the H9 Edge. I am just finishing mine so am not sure how it flies but people say they fly like a dream.

Steve
Old 04-30-2003, 03:54 PM
rcav8or

If you don't mind going a little bigger, consider the Wild Hare R/C Giles G-202 - WELL built, light (mines 24 lbs, 11 oz with a ZDZ80, redundant batteries etc), reasonably priced, and everyone that has one in the air raves about it. Mine will take flight this weekend (yeah!!). 93" wingspan, and will take anything from about a 70cc single to a 100cc twin.

Just another one to consider...

R
Old 04-30-2003, 06:56 PM
A320driver
My Feedback: (1)

I've been involved with two GSP aircraft, the Giles 202 and the Citabria. I can only confirm what has already been said, not good to say the least. To quote an expression from my old country, "To be avoided with a 10 foot barge pole". Nuf said!
Old 05-01-2003, 06:34 PM
crashNburnin

Default corsair arf

corsair black sheep, this one is a dead knockout, I bought it , I love it, I need anonther one I'm so wowed Glass fuse with matte paint job, covering is also painted to match fuse, air retracts are very cool. flies just the way you want it to. This one is good stuff
Old 05-01-2003, 07:55 PM
OOPSIDIDITAGAIN
My Feedback: (8)

I agree that GSA's warbirds are probably some of the best deals out there. I scrutinized them from stem-to-stern (oops, wrong terminology) and could only wish that the IMAC style planes were half as nice. Maybe they should think about using fiberglass fuses on the acrobats (3W does).
I also agree with the fellow that recommended getting a Wildhare RC Giles G-202 or even the new Extra 300 Tom has imported. I have the Giles and for a less exspensive (than most other 35% planes), it's a hard deal to beat.

Bill
Old 05-02-2003, 02:17 PM
AJT

I own their 120 size SUKHOI. as far as quality goes, It's about middle of the road comparing it to KANGKE, GP, H-9. But I must say it flies great! very flat and tracks like i'ts on rails. YS- 120. power. How long will it last? time will tell. But I do have my doubts! LOL.
AJT.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:47 PM
salmon
My Feedback: (114)

Default stay away from them.

I have the 80" extra piece of S*#% 300 from them, still in the box I get mad every time I see it ,