Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

First IMAC (I'm 14)

Old 05-03-2003, 12:19 AM
simsrc89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First IMAC (I'm 14)

All,
I am building a GP 40-size CAP 232 with an old OS 70 Surpass and a JR 8103 on PCM and 537 servos. I am hoping to fly in IMAC. It will be my first time. (I'm 14 so I need all the help I can get) Any tips/suggestions?

Jake
Old 05-03-2003, 12:41 AM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Default IMAC / 14

Hello Jake , go for it and have FUN !! It is normal to be a bit nervous at first , but just try to relax and enjoy it. We just pretend we are at our club field flying for FUN. Chris and I have been into IMAC for 3 yrs now and like it a lot ! Chris just turned 15 and has been flying aerobatic planes for many years , he just loves to fly and has a lot of FUN ! We flew a few meets in Basic, then Sportsman last yr and now trying Intermediate this yr. I try to keep up with Chris but he totally kicks my butt in IMAC and in 3D / Freestyle ! At least he gives me credit for teaching him to fly 10 yrs back - now I am learning from him all the time.
The great friends and fellowship is what it is all about !! So , go for it and just relax and enjoy !! Rod & Chris in PA.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	75315_800.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	45065  
Old 05-03-2003, 12:52 AM
simsrc89

Thanks for the encouragement. I wish I could afford a plane like yours. I'm sstill struggling to finance my little CAP!

Jake
Old 05-03-2003, 12:59 AM
OnTheEdge

Well said Rod.............

Also, try your best to practice the sequence a few times every time you go out to the field. Then, the last one or two flights of the day/evening, don't worry about sequences and just fly for fun.

This way you discipline yourself but still get to relax and just fly for fun.

One more thing. Be sure to practice flying the sequence in BOTH directions. It never fails, you get to the IMAC field only to find the wind makes you fly the other way.

Best of luck..............Mark
Old 05-03-2003, 02:00 AM
simsrc89

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

I live in AZ and am a member of AMPS, any ideas when the next contest will be?

Jake
Old 05-03-2003, 02:53 AM
flynbrian
My Feedback: (1)

Go to www.mini-iac.com and click on the contest scedule.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:54 AM
rdcracer
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Jake
My son just turned 13 and is in his first event tomorrow. He is flying the GP 60 size Extra 300. Just enjoy yourself and the rest will come in time. Look in the back of your AMA Magazine and all the events in your area will be listed by month.
Good luck and have fun, you are the future of this sport!
Old 05-03-2003, 03:22 AM
InsaneFoamie

hey jake, your flying at the wrong field.i fly at sun valley flyers (the cave butes field) on cave creek road, and there is alot more 3-d and imac guys here.there is also s.c.a.t. (souther california aerobatic team)competitions also. we just had the first one here in phoenix about a month ago.you should come and fly here sometime,you can learn alot from these guys. jason
Old 05-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Paul Terry

Default Hey Jake

Hey Jake,
IMAC is all about disciplining yourself to focus on the small details.
I am 15 and I have flown IMAC for 4 years.
Us younger folks are a whole lot faster at this stuff
and so we get it down pretty quick,
I won an IMAC two years ago and did it with a trainer.
It just goes to show its not the plane, its the time you put into practice.
Have fun,, If you practice enough you might even get a sponsor and then you won't have to worry about money so much..
Have fun but remember practice makes perfect
Old 05-03-2003, 12:54 PM
OnTheEdge

Default Re: Hey Jake

Originally posted by Paul Terry
"....................Us younger folks are a whole lot faster at this stuff
and so we get it down pretty quick..................."
Yeah, go ahead and rub it in...........
Old 05-03-2003, 03:52 PM
Cody-RCU

Go for it, man. That's how I started. All the people I've ever met in IMAC are great people; you won't regret going.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:03 PM
simsrc89

Thanks for all the encouragement
Old 05-06-2003, 12:27 AM
hovermaster

Default new into IMAC

Hey man,
I have been flying IMAC for about 4 years now I started when I was 12 now I am 15 and in Intermedeate, I won the NE regional championship last year in sportsman. Hey my favorite part about the whole entire hobby is having FUN!!!!!!!!! I love the IMAC stuff it is so fun and all the people are great and give you lots of advice. I really don't practice that much at all. Once in a while I will practice if I havn't done the sequence in a while or whatever. The key thing is to enjoy your self and to have lots of fun!! My dad and I both fly IMAC he is the one who tought be and now I am teaching him, hehehe. Just keep at it, dont over do it, and have fun. Good luck.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	76113_2556.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	45066  
Old 05-06-2003, 02:14 AM
flynbrian
My Feedback: (1)

I am 14 and have ben flying R/C for 3 years. I just won first in the Bryan contest last weekend in Intermediate. It was my third contest. The first one was 2 years ago and I flew in two contests back to back the last 2 weeks. At my first contest I flew a .61 sized extra in sportsman and learned alot. I came out in the middle of the pack. Once you make your first contest you will learn what it is all about, so you know what to practice. All the pilots are really helpfull and will tell you what you can do to make your score better. Just have fun and it will come.

Good luck.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Surfer Dude

Hey Jake

I'm 15 and its been two years since my first pattern contest. One thing that you have to remember is that rhis is supposed to be a fun event. Another thing is to pay attention to what some of the better pilots do in the air and maintenance, so that you can pick up any new ideas that you can use. But really enjoy the experience of your first competition and don't be worried. You'll do very good.

Chris
Old 05-06-2003, 11:38 PM
hovermaster

Hey Hover King...good point. Jake it is very important that you have fun your first few contests and it is a really good Idea to listen and ask for advice from the more experienced pilots. Well Good luck

Chris
Old 05-07-2003, 12:10 AM
Paul Terry

There is another thing that no one has mentioned.
Don't try to win, try to learn as much as you can and to try and really pay attention to the small rudder movements and try even doing the pattern in
harder ways, like fly really high and practice getting use to the plane as a dot.
Also watch other people when its thier turn. watch and look for things they can improve on,, don't tell them, but think to yourself what you would do
if you were flying that plane.. also practice the pattern on different planes so you can master it.
Hope this helps you out.
Paul Terry
Old 05-07-2003, 12:16 AM
krazy_flyr

yea my dad is rdcracer. I had soooo many problems!!!! I had a bad motor so i stalled ripped off my landing gear. Then the next day i flew a 40 size super sportster. Man after all the stress i had a great time. Ifound out that the first time at every thing is to learn hopfully you will enjoy it!!!!

Kyle
Old 05-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Erich_F

Default Good Job

Hey Kyle,

I'm glad you liked flying in the contest last weekend. You did great, despite your mechanical problems. I look forward to seeing
you in later contests. Keep up your good attitude, and have fun with it. Remember, Stephen Hamilton and Kenny Morris were both in your shoes once.

Congrats on your first contest!

Erich
Line Boss, Bay City Spring Classic.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Riverdancer
My Feedback: (5)

Hey, I wish you luck with the IMAC, My son is 12 and will be kicking my but very soon. ( I have been flying for 10 and doing IMAC for about 2) He loves it....All the best.

Riverdancer
Old 05-07-2003, 11:16 PM
simsrc89

Thanks for all the encouragement. I don't think I need to practice up high, I need to practice down low!!!! My friend Shane always gets on to me because I fly so high.
For an Update on my CAP, I have the fuse, wing, and empennage framed up, and I am adding the forward turtledeck sheeting. I work on it during my spare time, which isn't much. Hopefully, I can have it flying soon. (On a relative scale) I still need to buy a throttle servo and a new cowl and pair of wheel pants. I am getting some nice one-piece deals from Stan's, so I don't have to deal with the low-quality or assembly of the parts. I am planning on painting it in a Thunderbirds paint job, even with the bird on the bottom. I drew it out, and It looks really pretty. I'll try to get a picture of it up on here soon.

Jake