Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

$1000 cash pay out for IMAC in MD

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:28 PM
lill will

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1000 cash pay out for IMAC in MD

Me and a couple of guys was talking this weekend at the IMAC competion at PGRC. and the Idea of hosting a IMAC competion later on this year but have a $1000 cash prize the cost to compete would still be $30 and we would pay 1st place in unlimited and 1st place in advance I was woundering I know that we are not the first to come up with the Idea why is this not be implamented more. we have to talk to the club pres.but I think if we can get a date we would try to do it this year. we the sponsers of the event would put the money up . do you think this would get a good response

1st place unlimited $500

1st place advance $500

maybe 100 to first place in basic. (but could not have competed in advance class prior to contest date)

Old 07-27-2008, 09:33 PM
bjamesjr
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: $1000 cash pay out for IMAC in MD

I was there this weekend as well, great contest and the club did it's usual fine job of hosting it. Angus burgers ...YUM... The lightning show at the very end was top notch as well

Sorry, back to the question,

As listed:

I would think you would end up with quite a few of Advanced and Unlimited pilots with that kind of payout and probably several basic pilots as well with some very competitive flying.

I gotta ask though, what would be happening to Sportsman and Intermediate?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:44 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Got my attention.

Count me in.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:32 AM
lill will

you know I would say for those classes I would think the pay out would be maybe $100 you know

$50 sportman
$50 Intermedaite

I think this would help the turn out and get more people in to flying with a certain level of control and comfort, the club could use the money for maybe more fun fly give aways because I know that our pres.dav is very adament about the kids and bringing new people to the sport and steave (the contest dir) seems to be up on events so this fits our glove perfect I am going to pursue talking to dave and steave beacause we are just going to be the sponsers not the CD so have to go through the proper chain of command thanks for the feed back so far
Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 AM
bjamesjr

I'm in...
Old 07-28-2008, 07:14 PM
whaturi

I would make SURE to make it to this contest. Think about it, the wife could not argue if there was money up for grabs! All joking aside, my wife is actually very supportive, but this would be something I could not miss.

In fact, her and I were talking about this same subject earlier this year. She thought that IMAC could see higher turnouts and more interest if a pot could be up for grabs. We were thinking about contestants all throwing in and winner take all in each class, but the sponsored thing sounds good as well.. as long as there are willing sponsors.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:43 PM
bjamesjr

ORIGINAL: lill will

you know I would say for those classes I would think the pay out would be maybe $100 you know

$50 sportman
$50 Intermedaite

I think this would help the turn out and get more people in to flying with a certain level of control and comfort, the club could use the money for maybe more fun fly give aways because I know that our pres.dav is very adament about the kids and bringing new people to the sport and steave (the contest dir) seems to be up on events so this fits our glove perfect I am going to pursue talking to dave and steave beacause we are just going to be the sponsers not the CD so have to go through the proper chain of command thanks for the feed back so far
Just sent you s PM concerning a possible co-sponsor
Old 07-28-2008, 11:08 PM
lill will

Yes we are going to do this already have the sponsers for the unlimited and advance class
all we have to do is talk to big dave at the feild and we will try to get this going once we talk to IMAC/AMA get the ok and we are off to the races I think this is going to be something we do once a year if we get the support we are looking for this will be a walk in the park.
me and my partners thank you guys up until this point for the comments, we have not yet encounterd any badd vibes so we will go to the next step. will keep you guys informed hopefully soon we are looking at sept of 2008 still nice and warm here
Old 07-28-2008, 11:42 PM
crossup
My Feedback: (1)

I have to say that making this profitable for PGRC by a large turn out and good food sales etc would be a big help in over coming resistance in our board of directors.
For those who have not run a contest, theres little to no money in it...and thats if things are well managed. Over buy your food and
your in the red.. last years 25 flyer CAPI netted PGRC around $100 and I'm hoping this years will net $40.
Consider that I spent 30 hours at the field and much more in prep time, $150 personal layout for gear(one time): a printer, judging awning, etc , then add in Daves time, and that of other club members who cooked and such and the monetary payoff is sad for the club.
So while I'm on the money theme, I would suggest that for a big purse event, the entry fee be tied to payout. Thats to say perhaps
the "standard" $30 for low pay classes and $40 advance $50 unlimited or something like that. The guys paying more would get more flights..shootout style and hopefully freestyle could draw some entrants.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

I think that all IMAC contests should make abit of money for the club which offset closing the field for a weekend keeps everyone happy.

I ran my first one this year and with 25 guys we were able to spend some money on good food, provide free food both days and still turn a profit of a couple hundred dollars. While the money isn't a lot, it doesnt cost the club money and that keeps everyone happy.

How I achieved the profit was having a raffle with a fair amount of prizes. This allowed me to spend more on food (We smoked 16 pounds of pork loin and 8 pounds of chicken for Sat. lunch) and did burgers and dogs on the Sunday. I also bought some beer for everyone for Sat night.

Smart-Fly, and Troybuilt Models are very eagar to help sponsor events now and will send some nice things.

I also charged spectators $5 for food which maybe brought in an extra $100.

I think its definately possible to guarantee breaking even or even ending in the green if you do it right.

As I said in another thread.. the biggest thing with CAPI this year was it was NATs, LVCRS, then CAPI, and a big SE event right around the corner... date planning is the biggest thing to look at so you give everyone a chance to be able to make it.

I was bummed about not coming this year, but I planned a weekend away in May thinking CAPI would be in Aug. again

Either way I wouldn't let one low turnout destroy a 12 yr old event... it happens sometimes and the event is thought of highly.. just bad timing this year.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 PM
crossup

Good info Jake however the fact is with a low turnout your not going to make money on a raffle...we had low spectator turnout too.
The good news is that even with attendance down we should have had 20 entrants as far as supposed conflicts with other events goes.
But the intermediate guys did a chain reaction thing and even those who could have made it bailed rather than fly with only a few guys
As to scheduling, CAPI was submitted before the LVCRS date was posted and I made sure we were in a "hole" schedule wise. I can not of course prevent a contest from being scheduled next to CAPI.

Further more, we have had consistant complaints about the heat at CAPI and the decision was made to seek a new date, as it happened, that decision was communicated to another CD who took the abandoned CAPI date before I got board approval for any date. Obviously by then, the original date was taken so we had to move it.

IIRC, that was in March...rather early in the year. And two months before we got "flanked" by other contests..
My point is we did what pilots wanted( and it was great weather- temp, wind and rain wise) and it bit us....and now, if you read the FG thread and this one I'm being blamed for not making it convenient for people to attend.

Well all I've got to say is I've seen a LOT of lame excuses so far for not attending...it sounds like you missed it because you did not check the IMAC schedule , so I'm NOT going to feel bad about it.

Because of this Dave Michael and I will see about getting some kind of mechanism to coordinate future contest scheduling among CDs.
Judging by comments made it will probably have to be a non IMAC controlled group as this needs to happen this year, not after a couple years of typical IMAC inaction.
Hopefully this big money event will happen and result in CAPI 13 being held.

But the guys who did not atttend have to understand that when we close the field for 2.5 days for 12/13 people to fly we deny twice that many club members their weekend. It wont take many situations like that for the naysayers to get CAPI cancelled.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:44 PM
bjamesjr

ORIGINAL: crossup

Good info Jake however the fact is with a low turnout your not going to make money on a raffle...we had low spectator turnout too.
The good news is that even with attendance down we should have had 20 entrants as far as supposed conflicts with other events goes.
But the intermediate guys did a chain reaction thing and even those who could have made it bailed rather than fly with only a few guys
As to scheduling, CAPI was submitted before the LVCRS date was posted and I made sure we were in a "hole" schedule wise. I can not of course prevent a contest from being scheduled next to CAPI.

Further more, we have had consistant complaints about the heat at CAPI and the decision was made to seek a new date, as it happened, that decision was communicated to another CD who took the abandoned CAPI date before I got board approval for any date. Obviously by then, the original date was taken so we had to move it.

IIRC, that was in March...rather early in the year. And two months before we got "flanked" by other contests..
My point is we did what pilots wanted( and it was great weather- temp, wind and rain wise) and it bit us....and now, if you read the FG thread and this one I'm being blamed for not making it convenient for people to attend.

Well all I've got to say is I've seen a LOT of lame excuses so far for not attending...it sounds like you missed it because you did not check the IMAC schedule , so I'm NOT going to feel bad about it.

Because of this Dave Michael and I will see about getting some kind of mechanism to coordinate future contest scheduling among
CDs. Judging by comments made it will probably have to be a non IMAC controlled group as this needs to happen this year, not after
a couple years of typical IMAC inaction.
Hopefully this big money event will happen and result in CAPI 13 being held.

But the guys who did not atttend have to understand that when we close the field for 2.5 days for 12/13 people to fly we deny twice that many club members their weekend. It wont take many situations like that for the naysayers to get CAPI cancelled.
Steve,

I saw the amount of work you were doing at the field and I cannot even begin to imagine the stuff you did in the background and speaking only for myself, I really appreciated everything that you did as well as Dave M helping out as much as he did. I offered time and again to help out when I was not flying but I got pulled into calling for 3 others and judging so that never came about. I tired to get help to get your canopy jsut as the storm hit becasue I was one of the last ones to be under it but I coul not get any help becasue everyone was running to get their planes under cover and between the clipboards, two chairs and stuff I had to leave it there and felt like crap when I saw it tumble from the wind.

I have offered several times now over the last couple of days, to take the job as the regional contest coordinator for next year but no one has responded back to me at this time. Having someone that all that person does is make sure this kind of thing does not happen is in itself a full time job and in my opinion should not be left to the RD as that person already has more than enough to do. After glancing over the IMAC site, it looks like the the NE is about the only one that does not have this and it's a shame because there are several good contests that have been running for some time inclusding CAPI and two brand new ones that have very good potential (Farview and Lums Pond).

I know we agreed that you could have at Casper again on Sunday after we were done, but you certainly know what the weather did right as we finished up and I stayed as long as I could. Maybe I should come down for a weekend and we could beat the snot out of Casper, maybe that may help you feel better, it certainly would make me feel better.

As far as the money event, I sent lill will a couple of PM's about it. You can catch up with him on the details/ideas I presented
Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only suggestion.......keep last day scores hidden. As not to influence judges since you will most likely use contestants as judges
Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 PM
crossup

Bill,
Hope I made it clear at FG you're the guy who made my RC year! With the rain everyone needed to pack up to protect all that balsa etc...once your packed and its pouring rain, its time to leave when you have a long drive so I was not disappointed in either you or
Troy leaving. The fact that you both offered is the main thing, made me feel like one of the guys and of course actually flying Casper was the total bomb. As to coming down, well you are always welcome to come fly but as you know I lean towards the 3D so beating the snot out of Casper might be more than you bargain for.

The good news about the canopy is it was only $40 and I'll fix it or use it for spare parts for the next one. You guys had your own stuff to deal with, that was a really sudden onset to the storm so the canopy is no big deal beyond having to remember to deal with it rather than just use it next year. Being really tired by then probably made me look like it was the end of the world when I saw it but as I say it was a cheapy which is only needed for CAPI.

BUT THE MAIN THING: dont get the idea I'm dont feel good about the contest. It was a great time. You guys are a great bunch, I always learn a lot even not competing, I almost got to buy a new 35% plane, I flew my first 35% plane , and so on...in many ways its not much different from competing, a lot of work but you sure feel good when the thank you's come in and its done. While its pretty hard for me to have the smile I feel inside showing all the time I'm hustling around , its hard not to feel good about hosting what I consider to be the premier aspect of RC flying and competition.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:09 AM
lill will

hay steave great job again and that is why we want to help put together a event that will bring more revenue to the club. as members of one of the best clubs in maryland I think we should always look for ways to improve things. I have got alot of pm's wih alot of good information so we have the support, and also looks like there will be another class that we will add a purse to which is the lower classes. we do need to know what the next step is and would like to talk to you down at the feild are I see that you are in annapolis we may could meet at annapl,harbor. my boat is dock by navel college so wont be out of my way, I will be up there fri for the crabfeast. hopefully we can get a good date so we can do this soon we are ready for sure
Old 07-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Jake Ruddy

Steve,

I tried to make a helpful post and the line I quoted above shows a pretty crappy attitude if you ask me. I don't have to explain myself to anyone however CAPI was my first contest last year and I really enjoyed it which means I would have been there this year if I could have.

Yes I did check the schedule.. back in March or April or May (I can't remember the wife started way early) when I booked the hotel with my wife and another couple for a weekend at the beach. I am sorry if a month later I wasn't going to change it and try and get 4 peoples schedule to work because you moved the contest up a month. As for the heat, you lucked out.. I don't see it being much cooler in July compared to August very often we had temps of 99 in June 7/8.. it's just going to depend on that weekend.. it's called the summer.

My post was filled with suggestions and trying to be helpful.... so "don't feel bad" about it because I will return the same poor attitude you just showed me and keep my "lame excuse" to myself and not say anything at all. We have 200 members.. I face the same challenges
Old 07-30-2008, 06:42 AM
crossup

Jake, first off my bad for poor phrasing, maybe saying a lot of lame excuses and even Jake missed because of...what? a small over sight? I actually edited that line a few times and finally had to move on because of time. And no where did I imply you should change plans when you found CAPI was not in Aug.
As I started with, good advise sent and received Jake, I just pointed out that good advise cant change everything.

I can see why you would take my "lame" line poorly, but frankly the rest looks like over reaction.
Regardless, I stand by the lame excuse accusation of others, and apologize for including you the way I phrased it.
Feel free to keep the attitude about me, I guess I earned it but I'm not going to be dissing you intentionally regardless.
And if I have my way, I'll be at your contest next year to show my support and help if possible.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Jake Ruddy

Steve,

I am a happy go lucky kind of guy.. but am the first to also be outspoken. I just feel (and some others quietly talking behind the scenes) you are on your "soapbox" a little too much and what's done is done. It's starting to rub people the wrong way rather than deal with the issue. We can't change last week.. but we can improve the future!

Trust me when I tell you.. I am the first to get angry, but the first to drop it like it never happened. I speak my mind, say sorry if I am out of line and drop it like a hot potatoe very quickkly.

There was pretty crappy attendance and the board is not happy. I purpose you tell the board to give the contest 1 more year.. explain it was just a bad year and it happens. If attendance isn't good next year then the contest will go away.

I can almost guarantee you that everyone will show up in force to make the contest stay around and because they love the contest! That will make the board get off your back and everyone will be happy.

Bad years happen but we are beating a dead horse here. Please don't take this the wrong way.. I want the contest around and will bend over backwards to make sure I am there next year!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 PM
crossup

You know, Jake, you're right. This is just a hobby, I'm not even competing, so why should I care so much or worse cause other to get pissed cause I beat a dead horse?
As you know, Dave Michael does not have these issue so from now on I'm deferring to him to report, comment etc on CAPI for me, and I'll stick to picking up the food etc.
Hopefully we all can have a better year next year, even those who did well this year.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 PM
bjamesjr

Bill,
Hope I made it clear at FG you're the guy who made my RC year! With the rain everyone needed to pack up to protect all that balsa etc...once your packed and its pouring rain, its time to leave when you have a long drive so I was not disappointed in either you or
Troy leaving. The fact that you both offered is the main thing, made me feel like one of the guys and of course actually flying Casper was the total bomb. As to coming down, well you are always welcome to come fly but as you know I lean towards the 3D so beating the snot out of Casper might be more than you bargain for.

The good news about the canopy is it was only $40 and I'll fix it or use it for spare parts for the next one. You guys had your own stuff to deal with, that was a really sudden onset to the storm so the canopy is no big deal beyond having to remember to deal with it rather than just use it next year. Being really tired by then probably made me look like it was the end of the world when I saw it but as I say it was a cheapy which is only needed for CAPI.

BUT THE MAIN THING: dont get the idea I'm dont feel good about the contest. It was a great time. You guys are a great bunch, I always learn a lot even not competing, I almost got to buy a new 35% plane, I flew my first 35% plane , and so on...in many ways its not much different from competing, a lot of work but you sure feel good when the thank you's come in and its done. While its pretty hard for me to have the smile I feel inside showing all the time I'm hustling around , its hard not to feel good about hosting what I consider to be the premier aspect of RC flying and competition.

Steve,

I saw the posts of FG. I only let people fly my planes that I trust so that is why I even offered and let you have at it on Friday, I'm glad it made you feel good. That is part of this hobby, people doing because they want to, not becasue they have to. My second contest I ended up with a rudder servo that was going out and was offered a new servo to use by someone I had never met before. I was totally impressed and floored. I used to work in a service related field and learned back then that quality service was everything in maintaining good custer relations. What I learned then I have carried over to RC and I see tons of it in the IMAC community and RC in general, at least in planes and heli's.

The unfortunate side of all of this is there is not much that could have been done on your's, Dave M.'s or anybody elses part for the lack of showing and even I tried to get a few people to change their mind. It was just bad scheduling on the NE regions part which if the people I know of that may be doing RD and such for next year should all but eliminate these kind of issues plus the many others the NE region is faced with right now. I understand the club may be questioning things but they do need to understand that this year was a fluke. I've been guilty of backing out of contests this year for what has turned out to be health and family issues and one because I mis-scheduled something personal and on the morning of a contest because I simply had a brain fart. The main difference in 2 of those cases I still came out and sat in the judges chair. It was/is my way of giving back to IMAC. It was my choice and no ones else and even complained to the CD's of those events when they tossed my name into the prize giveaway though I did not pay my entrance fee. I felt it a bit unfair at first for the other contestants but the CD's and a few pilots took notice and supported the idea so I let it go. I'm not saying everyone should do this, again it's just my way, I'm overly helpful sometimes.

I would disagree with Jake's weather comments. It certainly was much cooler, even on Sunday when we did not have any wind, not like Saturday when we had wind so the breeze made it really nice. There is a huge difference between late July and late August.

I do agree with Jake that this is starting to go too far and I for one am going to drop off the conversation as it stands now try to get back to the subject of the thread.

I saw where you and Lill Will may be getting together. Let me know if there is anything I can do above the sponsorship end.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 PM
lill will

HAy guys I truly want to stay on topic because we dont want to be the reason for a badd thread, only thing we are truly trying to do is make every year better we the spocors can use the right off and the clubb could use the crowd that a cash purse would bring. steave did a great Job but that is over lets help him and we all benafit one way or the other. I belive with this purse we can attract some big names that normaly may pass us up I also think that we would see way way better flying and strong competion. after we can get a date i would like to move forward on this we the sponsors are ready and I have got alot of pm from hobby shop and supplers saying they will join in along with me for the lower classes . one thing we may have to consider is the ammont of people that pre register may have to hold a three day event making the sunday be the final for the top two classes.
but we dont want to start talking about this until we have had our sit down with dave and steave and fill in the blank. I have recieve an email from the two young men so we are on the right path. I am jsut a member trying to do my part to make things better like the man that helps and someone change a tire on the side of the road just doing my part to help make a better place. I just dont want to go to far without the consent from our pres. dave which like i said is all about bettering the club..
Old 07-31-2008, 06:23 AM
crossup

Will, I've sent your contact info to dave and also a copy of your last post , I spoke with him Tuesday informing him of your proposal.
You are correct to want to get a date set and working as the AMA requires a minimum 30 days for a sanction application to be processed. Hopefully at this time of year they will be faster than during the spring rush.

I look forward to meeting you and hope you can make the Electric Flyin this Sunday.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:04 PM
lill will

hay thanks guy If you was the one direction the event I was the guy in the hummer that got there late waiting on a engine mount I was also with troy fir the most part of the day. I will see you guys sunday or sat or maybe tonight on day soon thanks I cant wait to see this take off..
Old 07-31-2008, 06:23 PM
crossup

Too funny Will...I just put together who you are. The "lill will" handle made me think it was like when people nickname someone "Tiny" of course they are huge. So I was thinking some great big guy and then the trucking company connection...I know you as a musician.

Actually we first met before the IMAC, I was there one evening when you came in and we ended up talking a bit about IMAC iron.
And yes I was the contest director you spoke with, sorry to see you didnt get your plane working in time.