Community
Search
Notices
IRC Racing Support The online retailer for many of your r/c products is available to support RCU members. Click here if you need their help or have a question for them. Hosting this forum will be RADICALJ, RC-BOSS, MINDCRIME and REDCATRACING1.

Leak/Stall

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 03:03 AM
lowblktaco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak/Stall

Well I successfully broke my Vulcan Se in. There are a couple of issues I am having. Something is leaking bad. The leaked gas/oil ended up in my steering servo and caused it to strip a few teeth and I lost steering to the left. I replaced both servos, stoned the faces of the exhuast outlet and tightened everything up snug. I ran today for several tanks and to my dismay, there is still a pretty good leak. A part of me thinks the leak is coming from where the pipe is held to the header with four springs, but I am not sure. What are my options to fixing this leak? I understand I need to find the leak first.
Also, I am having a bear of a time tuning this thing. I am by no means expert to tuning as all I have ever run is my Revo 3.3. I can get it running around 230-350, but after a high speed pass and then a turn/brake, a full throttle acceleration is not possible. The motor will sputter and stall. Actually any mid-throttle pass to a brake, followed by a full throttle take off will stall the motor. I found that to keep it running, I ease up on the throttle gently.
Also, as the tank gets below half way, it starts running much hotter. It was not uncommon to pull temps of 290 plus during this time.
What are some good starting points for my needles? Both are so sensitive I find myself bouncing all over the place.
I just want to have some fun with this car and not constantly tune or clean the gas/oil leaks up.
Any help would be great.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Mindcrime

Default RE: Leak/Stall

Low,
I will try to answer your question tomorrow, I have some ideas...
Old 06-20-2006, 03:01 AM
HYPERGOBLIN

Great, looking forward to your advice Mindcrime. I've had similar issues.
I think the front bearing leaks a bit as per common Toki hi crank pressure, and my crank had a 0.8mm thrust play when new, so I dismantled the clutch assy. and put a shim between the front bearing and the brass collet. This has minimised the leak and reduced the crankshaft play to normal. The problem before was the brass collet is about the same diameter as the front bearing inner hole dia. so the collet can be "pushed in" thru the bearing inner hole.

Mindcrime, can you also pls avice if a (slightly) long reach plug eg: Sirio S6 is compatible. Or can you advice which OS plug (I have many) is best for 20% nitro 12% oil 22 degrees C.

Thanks,

Old 06-20-2006, 09:53 PM
lowblktaco

Hey Mindcrime. I am sure things just got busy for you, but I wondered if you had any information on your ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:50 PM
lowblktaco

Well I might have found the biggest issue. Apparently there is supposed to be a black o-ring between the exhaust and the manifold under the four springs. I found mine folded in half inside the exhaust pipe. I assume it goes on the exaust to act as a seal. Without it there, there was little back-pressure which is probably half my tuning and leak issues, if not more. Could this be the case?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Mindcrime

Sorry guys, I have been going crazy around here the last few days, and for some reason my email notifictation is not working....

low, it sounds to me like you have found the problem, that would also explain the tuning and temp problems....

Hyper, you are correct on the leaking bearing, I have been told by a couple of people about putting a washer behind the collet
Old 06-22-2006, 05:30 PM
lowblktaco

Thanks Mindcrime. I will let you all know how it goes with the tuning/run issues once I get it running again.
As far as the leaky bearing, what is the collet and where does the washer go. I would like to try this, but not sure where to proceed.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Mindcrime

I think the front bearing leaks a bit as per common Toki hi crank pressure, and my crank had a 0.8mm thrust play when new, so I dismantled the clutch assy. and put a shim between the front bearing and the brass collet. This has minimised the leak and reduced the crankshaft play to normal. The problem before was the brass collet is about the same diameter as the front bearing inner hole dia. so the collet can be "pushed in" thru the bearing inner hole.
there you go
Old 06-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Mindcrime

The collet is located behind the flywheel and in front of the bearing, if you take your flywheel off you will see the collet it is the cone shaped piece that the flywheel slides over....you want to put the washer between the bearing and the collet