RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jet-central-turbines-artes-jet-139/)
-   -   Kerosene Fuel Filter. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jet-central-turbines-artes-jet-139/11685987-kerosene-fuel-filter.html)

partshunt 12-23-2020 10:57 PM

Kerosene Fuel Filter.

New to jets,, just asking, do you need a special Kerosene fuel filter or can you get away with glow or gasoline fuel filter on these Kero fueled Turbine engines as long as they can handle the greater volume of a Turbine engine with 25-28 Lbs thrust.. Thanks.

CARS II 12-24-2020 10:05 AM

I used the H9 gas filters before, it is just a tad smaller than the ones that comes with the engines, the fine nylon filter screen is the same, the filtering screen on the glow filters is not fine enough, what you are trying to protect are the fuel injectors inside the can from getting any fine debris in them, connect the in line to flow over the exterior of the filter screen, this way you will see and will be able to clean any dirt off the screen.

Good luck.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...9afcb8c427.png

partshunt 12-24-2020 11:03 AM

Thank you Carlos, so it is a Han 143. That is good to know. I will try to find one. Thanks a lot... Joe

CARS II 12-24-2020 12:02 PM

Welcome.

TH has them, also read this thread about algae and what kind of headaches it can give you if you let it take over your Kero can, I say clean the filters every 6 months and use the algaecide all the time, my gas can are free of it now but, there was a time when it blocked the filter on one of my jets and I ended up doing a couple of dead sticks landings.

CARS II 12-24-2020 12:11 PM

You only need a few ccs, the16oz. bottle is good for a gazillion gallons.

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-...uel-tanks.html

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...de08b3a7fa.png
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...2ee0e26343.png

Mannyr 12-25-2020 09:34 AM

Any special Keroseno requires.
Also, a small filter in line is not recommended either those were removed from our turbine long ago (its a restriction point in the line that can cause fuel restriction and shutdown the turbine).
You can check the Manual for your turbine and if it's an old model it may show the filter but that was updated.
If you need more information you can contact me directly at [email protected]

Thanks

Manny Rodriguez
JetCentral USA

partshunt 12-29-2020 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by CARS II (Post 12652486)
Welcome.

TH has them, also read this thread about algae and what kind of headaches it can give you if you let it take over your Kero can, I say clean the filters every 6 months and use the algaecide all the time, my gas can are free of it now but, there was a time when it blocked the filter on one of my jets and I ended up doing a couple of dead sticks landings.

Who is TH?? I looked in another supplier and it says the HAN 143 filter is for glow fuel. Kerosene is another fuel and requires the proper filter not the glow fuel filter ,I read somewhere. , right?

joeflyer 12-29-2020 06:14 AM

Read what he pasted in post #2. It clearly says gas, glow.

I've been using these with kero and gasoline for years and they work fine. For turbines bigger than 120 you might want something larger. Any gasoline compatible filter will work with kerosene or jetA.

partshunt 12-29-2020 10:12 AM

Well OK thanks BUT gasoline is Gasoline, not Diesel or Kerosene. I, like you, read Glo and Gasoline, but I do not recognize Gasoline as Kerosene or Diesel fuel. I worked in the heavy duty diesel equipment for fifty years and Diesel is Diesel, Gas is Gasoline and filters were classified as such. But since you say you were successful, I may go for it, just may need a larger one, Jet Central Turbines say I dont need a filter, the UAT does it. Do UAT's have filters inside?. Jet Central wont reply when I asked them. I am new to these toys.... I worked on Hi Way Trucks all my life ,retired now so am new to this, Joe

joeflyer 12-29-2020 02:17 PM

You don't want to use anything that is glow only. The materials are not compatible with gasoline, kerosene or diesel. Of those fuels the worst case for material compatibility is gasoline. So if it's a gasoline filter it's ok with kerosene or diesel. I suspect that the materials are the same in the filters you are use to and the main difference is the size of the filter mesh. Some diesel filters may also incorporate a water trap.

Most guys filter their fuel several times before it gets to the engine. I use a Mr. Funnel to filter out any dirt or water when I fill my 5 gallon can. The can I take to the field has an automotive filter in line so the fuel gets filtered as I fill my planes. Yes most UAT's have an internal filter so that filters it again.

Now to Manny's point. Some of the in line filters sold to the hobby have small nipples and fine mesh and can be restrictive. The rationale for putting one between the pump and engine is to catch tiny metal shavings from the pump gears during break in which can clog the fuel injectors. Some turbine manufacturers recommend then and some don't. Wrens come with a final filter installed under the front engine cover.

It's not a big concern in my mind. If you're going to use one the trick is to use one that is not too restrictive. If you want to check one out you could run the engine and record the fuel pump pulse width with and without a filter. Most hobby filters with 4 mm. nipples should be fine for a 28# turbine. The main concern would be with large turbines with high fuel flow.

Bartol 10-22-2021 08:16 AM

My first post, as I am a happy JC Mammoth 250 owner.
Fuel filter is not included in the engine package (was it in the past?) but is mentioned in the manual. Also after doing a first test run yesterday with a Rotax fuel filter I got an accel error and was unable to go above ~75k RPM. After removing the filter it accelerated and ran perfectly.

CARS II 10-24-2021 04:47 PM

Welcome!

Some guys don't use a filter as they see it as a failure point, I use one on every engine I have, the key of having a filter is to clean it at least every 6 months, if you decide not to use one then, be very active at filtering your fuel before it gets into the jet's main tank, filter your fuel with a Mr funnel to start with when you fill up your can, this Mr funnel will also prevent water from going into your can then, I suggest a paper filter on your can on the out fuel line, this paper filter will catch any small debris that is in the can.
And don't forget to use algicide to prevent any algae in your fuel can and jet tanks.

JJP 11-09-2021 08:56 AM

I am setting up a Hawk with Electron retracts and need to be able to cycle my nose gear unit prior to drilling and installing to make sure the gear does not interfer with the doors. I would like to do this without the need of the tx and rx as they are not set up yet. Is there a way to power up the gear for this purpose. I was hoping they would make a simple devise like a servo tester for this purpose.