Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

What causes a P120 to Flame Out

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

What causes a P120 to Flame Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Wideopen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes a P120 to Flame Out

The last 3 times I have been flying I have had 3 flame outs. Can someone give me some advice on what I should check. The first 2 times I landed OK. Today I was not able to land without doing damage to my F-15 as I was low and slow heading down wind. The Jet is repairable.[]
Old 07-03-2011, 07:38 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What causes a P120 to Flame Out

Did you plug in the GSU after the flameouts.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you get a puff of white smoke just prior to the flame out?

Mike
Old 07-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Wideopen

No.

Yes, a good bit of white smoke. I was only 2 minutes into the flight.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:27 AM
philjac94

White smoke trail is a pretty good indication of a fuel system problem. Check tanks venting, check for air getting into fuel lines, check fuel filter for starters.
If this problem has only recently begun to show up check your pump, run your pump in manual at a fairly high pump voltage draining into a second container and check that the pump runs continuously with no skips or hiccups, when the brushes and armature wears out, this is the result.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Wideopen

What voltage do I use to check the pump. Do I use the turbine battery or a lower voltage battery. The pump and turbine is about 8 years old.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:15 AM
philjac94

Go thru the manual, it will show you how to run the pump manually. Same as priming the fuel system. Run the pump at around 3.0v this is around the full power voltage needed on a 120.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:26 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wideopen

No.

Yes, a good bit of white smoke. I was only 2 minutes into the flight.
With white smoke that is a pretty good indication that you have air in your fuel lines check for bubbles.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Gonzalo Sandoval

Air in lines stall engine for 1 or 2 seconds and  you can hear someting wrong, but it continues operating in many times, few times engine stops inmmediately.

what altitude are you field.

first chek phone cable they are very delicated and presents very rare and  diferents failures

second try inceasing U-ACC 2 little by litte
Old 07-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Thud_Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

White smoke is generally a positive indication of air in the lines.The whitevapor is caused by the pump continuing to push fuel into the engine after the fire has gone out. The GSU most likely would have said Fuel Fail which is pretty much a catch all for any engine failure not directly related to something it actually measures. The shutdown rpm's, temps, etc. don't mean much since they were recorded long after the engine quit when the ECU finally gave up and turned everything off.

So, there is an air leak between the pickup on the tank before the UAT and the engine festo plus there's no real reason to think the pump or data cable is bad - although data cables can be problematical. But that just means the solenoid would have shut off with no smoke.

Likely causes:

Air bubble in the silver filter. Funny, but I've seen flameouts due to this as long as 6 flights after a fuel purge or reinstallation. Shake them good with the filter in a vertical orientation to clear the air. Purge the lines and filter after any flame out. I usually run the pump test voltage up to around 2 volts, or higher, 4 or 5 times shaking the filtervigorously to do this.

Fill line into UAT not sealed - leaking plug or valve. Eventually results in an emtpy UAT and a flameout. Was the UAT empty??

Festos in the fuel lines, either before or after the pump. First glance says they should only suck air on the suction side (tank/UAT side) of the pump, but I have seen festos in the lines on the pressure side cause problems - including the one on the front of the engine. All the guys I fly with on a regular basis have had trouble with festos in the fuel lines and don't use them anymore. The fuel lines can take a bit of a set or get a little stiff after a lot of fuel has passed thru. I occasionally cut back the fuel line at the engine festo to give it a fresh seal as sometimesa little movement in the line there can let air pass.

Connections not safety wired. Use .015 or .020 wire to double wrap all connections and seal them.