Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Bad Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:02 PM
kmw072671

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Fuel?

Hi,

I live in northern Illinois and have had trouble finding jet A in the past, a local airport has been able to provide jet A but last time they filled me up from the bottom drain valve of a fueling truck. As one could expect I also got alot of sediment with it, is this something I should be concerned with or can
I use it since I have two filters on the can and one in the plane? The sediment consists of small rust type particles on the bottom of the can - maybe the filters can deal with this? Perhaps I should buy another can and filter the fuel between the two cans? If so any suggestions on the filter type?

Also, should I just start using K-1 from the pump? What do most people use here and are there any differences between jet A and K-1?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bad Fuel?

their truck should be sumped daily just like the holding tanks and you shouldn't of got any contaminants out of it, not that every facility does it by the book, but they should do it often enough at even the most backwoods FBO that it's not a problem.

if you can see contaminants, filter it out.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:52 PM
kmw072671

Thanks!

Then I'm OK with what I have - I may filter the fuel between tanks to be safe anyway.

Another crazy question, can small parts, say 10:1, of Kerosene and jet A be mixed to correct a fuel/oil ratio?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 06:00 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can mix small or large amounts with no problems just keep the 5% oil content.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:00 PM
drpdmartin

I ran into a similar problem by leaving a 5 gal 1-K kerosene can (metal) out on the porch which got rained on (several times). When I poured the kero into my 6 gal fueler tank prior to mixing in the oil, the last contents of the can contained rusty water, which I caught before I dumped it all. It did, however, contaminate the kero in my 6 gal portable fueler.

Having a B.S. and M.A. in chemistry (no brag, just fact), I just got a cheap 5 gal water jug. I decanted (means to carefully pour the top (kero) liquid off without getting any water/rust which is heavier and at the bottom) most of the kero through a funnel lined with 3 Mr. Coffee filters (as good as course filter paper - this removes any rust particles of consequence) into the 5 gal jug.

I, personally, wouldn't want to let a small filter get thoroughly clogged with rust particles, and most certainly not want any Fe2O3 (rust - very hard and corrosive particles) in my P-60 or two P-20s.

It took about an hour and saved $35.00 worth of kero - the 5 gal water jug was about $5.00.

As for jet vs kerosene, I don't see much difference. To quote WiKi: "Jet fuel flash points also vary. Both Jet A and Jet A-1 have flash points between 38 and 66 °C (100 and 151 °F), close to that of off-the-shelf kerosene. Yet both Jet B and JP-4 have flash points between -23 and -1 °C (-9 and 30 °F)."