Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Jetcat p80

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Evopower2504

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetcat p80

Hi all

After a bit of advice please , I'm thinking about purchasing a boomerang intro that has jetcat p80 in , I believe it's the order version turbine

It has the ECU wrapped in red plastic could anyone tell me what version it is?
I can find anything on the net , looks like the same wrapping as the blue version 4.9

Is there any disadvantaged if it is the old ECU rather then the black box v6

Any advice would be great

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	d86c1.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	2182726  
Old 09-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Best of my recollection is that blue wrappers were versions of 2.0 / 4.0 and red are versions of 4.9 / 5.0. The black cases didn't come along until somewhere after 5.0 versions where being delivered. I don't remember much about version 4, but if it's 4.9 or later, it will display the version number on the GSU during power up. It will be in the top right corner and it's only displayed for a second or so. There were changes on the circuit boards between 4.0 and 4.9. So you would need at least 4.9 to have a chance of getting 6.01xxx loaded. Otherwise, it might mean buying a new ECU.

It would help to know the serial number of the engine and the total hours. The s/n is etched on the case by the power plug. You'll have to look under the Statistics menu for the time.

The engine will run fine with whatever version is in it. I just ran an engine two weeks ago with version 4.0xx in it and a version 2.00xx late last year. So they still work.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:37 PM
Evopower2504

Hi
Thud driver

Many thanks for the reply

I thought the blue was 4.9 like in this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jetc...icad-lipo.html
Old 09-25-2016, 02:53 AM
Evopower2504

Just found out the ECU is v2.01 U
Old 09-25-2016, 09:38 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, I had thought once that red was for Europe but I think I had engines with a red wrapper.

2.01 is a very early version which means the engine is a very early version and probably has never been in for service.

Without knowing anything else, it's possible the engine has a stainless steel combustion chamber which will need to get changed to an Inconel one after 25 hours or so engine time. The other caution is that there have been quite a lot of internal changes to the P-80 and older parts are becoming hard to get. So at service time, it may or may not be economically feasible. Since that engine would go to JetCat Germany for service, your odds are better.

You could call or email them with the serial number and ask them:

http://www.jetcat.de/kontakt.htm

Last edited by Thud_Driver; 09-25-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:50 AM
Evopower2504

Ok many thanks I did email jetcat Germany yesterday so will have to wait till Monday

Cheers