Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

JetCat P 80 noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 02:57 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default JetCat P 80 noise

My P80 SN 1327 has started to make a roaring noise at about 80K rpm and gets louder as the rpm increases. It does not appear to be a rubbing sound but more like a wind sound and the engine spools
up and down like normal.

On my last run I did at home I ran it up 113K with a max PV of 2.45, the start temp was 683 and max temp was 801 with a min temp of 526, the engine has 9 hr run time since last service.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:27 PM
AlanRockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bearings
Old 10-19-2016, 06:41 PM
ira d

I don’t know anything could be possible but its only been 9hr run time on new bearings and the engine is smooth to turn by hand and does not seem to slow down after shut down any quicker than before.

The time before when it had bad bearing you could hear and feel them just by spinning the engine by hand. I talked to JetCat Germany today and they are concerned about the high EGT temps I have
been getting even before the noise started.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:50 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Combustion chamber could be breaking down.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:51 AM
AlanRockey

Keep us informed of the outcome please.
I have a few other questions if you have time.
What is the total time since new?
When was last good run?
Have you changed the fuel type or oil type recently?
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:18 AM
ira d

Originally Posted by AlanRockey
Keep us informed of the outcome please.
I have a few other questions if you have time.
What is the total time since new?
When was last good run?
Have you changed the fuel type or oil type recently?
Thanks!
I am not sure of the total run time since new as I failed to record the time before sending in for service and JetCat always resets the time when they service the engine. Even though I have the engine about thirteen years
the total time I would estimate to be around 25-30 hours. I last flew with engine 3 days ago the first flight was fine but started making the noise on the second flight although the performance seemed the same.

I have not changed fuel recently I am using kero with DTE light 5% and I have at times used Aero Shell turbine oil also. Looking at the age of the engine I am not sure if I want to spend much to repair it or sale it cheap
and move to a newer engine, maybe its worth something for parts if someone has one like it.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:21 AM
ira d

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Combustion chamber could be breaking down.
I am kind of thinking that also. Do you have a idea what a new chamber would cost and are they still readily available.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:05 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Ira,

Does not sounds consistent with bearing noises I am familiar with. Sounds like some sort of combustion issue. I have had things change when an injector tube eroded and broke, or even when FOD got in and damaged the diffuser vanes (that was an old old P-80) Some designs are very sensitive.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:46 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with Matt, Could be eroded nozzle in the combustion chamber, Did you happen to look at the nozzle and turbine wheel when its running to see if there is a hotspot in the chamber?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:46 PM
mr_matt

I remember, when an old P-80 would go wonky, it was hard to start but then it would run and stay running.

A P-120 goes wonky and it would start fine then quit accelerating down the runway :-)

Or maybe I got that backwards........
Old 10-20-2016, 02:45 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by Jetkopter
I agree with Matt, Could be eroded nozzle in the combustion chamber, Did you happen to look at the nozzle and turbine wheel when its running to see if there is a hotspot in the chamber?
No maybe I will try that.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:48 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I remember, when an old P-80 would go wonky, it was hard to start but then it would run and stay running.

A P-120 goes wonky and it would start fine then quit accelerating down the runway :-)

Or maybe I got that backwards........
My engine starts and runs fine just has the weird noise at upper RPM’s.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:43 PM
mr_matt

I would buy a new motor and save it as a spare for a far away jet event, just in case.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:09 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I would buy a new motor and save it as a spare for a far away jet event, just in case.
Being that the P80 is a large motor by todays standards I doubt I will have a plane that I could install it in down the road after I move to a new motor, I will give it some thought I will either fix it are sell it as is either way
there is not a large market for a P80 nowadays and depending on what it would take to repair it I might not even break even selling it after repairing it. I will not be flying the motor again before it’s fixed either it may do
fine for a while or it may not.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Felix Barrao

Check if the turbine wheel has rubbed with the NGV . This NGV itīs made from two pieces, ( the vanes part, and the ring that covers the turbine wheel). This two pieces are welded and sometimes fails. ( I have seen three of them) The engine works, but at high rpm the outer ring vibrates and rub the turbine wheel. Itīs easy to verify checking by the rear side,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ngv1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	2186613   Click image for larger version

Name:	ngv2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	2186614   Click image for larger version

Name:	ngv3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	2186615  

Last edited by Felix Barrao; 10-21-2016 at 12:45 AM.