Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Jetcat RXI-90 won't start

Old 08-05-2018, 11:39 AM
TheFishLA

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jetcat RXI-90 won't start

Hi All,

I receive my RXI-90 back from service about a month ago and had about 6 successful flights with it.

Yesterday, I started it, and flames started coming out of the back of the engine and the back pipe. I immediately killed the process and turned off the fuel valve. No damage to the plane.

However, I'm not able to start the engine anymore. The GSU reads: OC:Low-RPM.
If I try to start it, it changes to: 'preheat', then 'preheat2', but then back to OC:Low-RPM.

Am I doing something wrong? or do I need to send it back to service?
Old 08-05-2018, 04:20 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 351 Likes on 269 Posts

Do you have a ball valve on the feed line? How fast do you fill the fuel tank?

when you try a start now,what figure on the left does the pump start at voltage? Less that 0.2 or more than 0.2v

0.17 or 0.21 or ?
Old 08-05-2018, 06:50 PM
EladFish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere View Post
Do you have a ball valve on the feed line? How fast do you fill the fuel tank?

when you try a start now,what figure on the left does the pump start at voltage? Less that 0.2 or more than 0.2v

0.17 or 0.21 or ?
Thanks for the reply Dave. I don't think that it's a fuel/pump problem as the starter is not even starting. i don't hear the acoustic notification.
As to voltage, I only see the voltage of the battery which is 12.2v. (This is ecu v10)
Old 08-05-2018, 09:44 PM
Dave Wilshere

So you are using a 3s Li-Po, this is the worst battery as the electronics have to reduce the voltages through out and everything runs hotter in the electronics. A 2s Li-Po with a good C is the best option. Li-Fe packs are supplied with shipping regulations in mind.
So, if you press the spool button the turbine does not turn?
If you do a learn RC again does the ECU see the throttle pulse change on the display?
Is the temperature reading around the correct ambient?
Lastly which country are you in.

Dave
Old 08-06-2018, 08:40 AM
TheFishLA

So you are using a 3s Li-Po, this is the worst battery as the electronics have to reduce the voltages through out and everything runs hotter in the electronics. A 2s Li-Po with a good C is the best option. Li-Fe packs are supplied with shipping regulations in mind.
So, if you press the spool button the turbine does not turn?
If you do a learn RC again does the ECU see the throttle pulse change on the display?
Is the temperature reading around the correct ambient?
Lastly which country are you in.

Dave
Yeah. 3s battery. The ECU battery input says 7-14V. i don't mind switching to a 2 cell (but I didn't want to reach below 7v... a 2 cell can easily get bellow that after ~30% of use)

I don't have a 'spool' button in my gsu (mini), but I have 'ignition' and 'manual'. When I'm clicking on 'ignition', I have a 'Cooling' blinking on the screen and nothing happens.

I did the 'learn RC'. seems like it's functioning properly. I can even start the ignition sequence from the remote. But it only gets to 'preheat', then 'preheat2' mode and then fails and go to OC:LOW-RPM. (no acoustic signal, and the starter isn't turning)

Yes. The temperature was reading 29 degrees. I'm Los Angeles, CA.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:43 AM
Dave Wilshere

OK. then first call is a new starter motor from Dreamworks. 2 screws to change. They can just die as brushed motors
Old 08-06-2018, 11:48 AM
TheFishLA

I checked the starter (out of the engine). it's working fine.

In my opinion it seems like the ECU is stuck in an 'off condition' mode of the previous ignition shut off.

Any other ideas?
Old 08-06-2018, 12:51 PM
Dave Wilshere

Mmm could be front board, but do an ECU reset. Hold down select menu, switch on and hold ignoring prompts till it says release key to reset
Old 08-06-2018, 03:13 PM
TheFishLA

Mmm could be front board, but do an ECU reset. Hold down select menu, switch on and hold ignoring prompts till it says release key to reset
I think that you are right and indeed it's the front board. I tried troubleshooting with George (of jetcat) over the phone a bit. I'll send it over to him. At least they provide great support which I'm grateful for!
Thanks for the help, Dave!
Old 08-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Dave Wilshere

Perfect, they will get you sorted.

Dave