Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

Fuel consumption - Is oz/min weight or liquid oz?

Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Fuel consumption - Is oz/min weight or liquid oz?

Old 09-25-2020, 02:54 PM
greenjets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel consumption - Is oz/min weight or liquid oz?

I see the JetCat P200 spec sheet says "Fuel consumption: 25 oz per/min at full power". Is that ounces as in 1/16 lb or is that ounces as in liquid ounces? I'm just getting started and am curious what it will cost to run this thing
Old 09-26-2020, 03:05 AM
modtron

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Fluid ounces.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 09-26-2020, 03:43 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Another nuance of our idiotic measuring system. Assuming you are in the US, OP. Why are we among the last in the world to actually use the common sense measuring system?

Who was the idiot that decided to divide a foot by 12? And a yard by 3? And a mile by 5,280 (or is it even worse - 5,281?)? Did they come up with that stupid system before math was invented?

It is an industry standard that generally, anything that involves liquids and mentions ounces, means fluid ounces. It gets weird in full scale jets, when they talk about pounds of fuel, especially when liquid pounds don't exist. Consistency is paramount to an intelligent measuring system.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:47 AM
rgburrill

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
... It gets weird in full scale jets, when they talk about pounds of fuel, especially when liquid pounds don't exist. Consistency is paramount to an intelligent measuring system.
Weight on wheels is paramount to getting that full scale jet in the air so liters has to be converted to weight (kg or lb) anyway. So we "unintelligent Americans" start with what we need in the first place. Remember that 757 that flew over Canada and had to refuel there? The copilot asked for fuel in pounds but the ground crew didn't read the instructions and loaded it in liters. They dead-sticked it in Alberta, I believe.
BTW, it's called the "English" system for a reason. And if you want to talk about consistency why are all the metric multipliers greater than 1 in capital letters with their equivalent less than 1 in lower case letters except 1000? Be careful when you open a door.

Last edited by rgburrill; 09-26-2020 at 05:49 AM.