Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

Smoke in the Turbine duct P-80

Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Smoke in the Turbine duct P-80

Old 03-15-2005, 08:41 PM
matten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke in the Turbine duct P-80

last Saturday I flew my avonds F-16 twice, never happen to me before, being flying the P-80 for two years now, after shutting down by the normal procedure there was smoke in the engine duct on the two filths, mostly sure an unburned fuel, can be that the solenoid valve is went bad? what can be the cause?

Regards,
Richard Mattenberger
Old 03-15-2005, 11:42 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Smoke in the Turbine duct P-80

Hello,

Yes a bit of smoke is normal. As to why it has suddenly started, that is hard to say...had you recently had the motor out, or changed any of the other fuel components?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:29 AM
matten

Hi Matt,

No changes, just the weather, was the warmer day since a long time (30 deg Celsius) other than that is the same, it was not just a little smoke, after the two flights I started the engine one more time just to check if this smoke was there again, it was, the idle pump voltage was 0.6 v and at shut down was 0.9v.

Regards,
RM
Old 03-18-2005, 08:44 AM
mr_matt

I would not worry about it if the smoke is not excessive. If the motor is that old it might be a good time to have some preventative maintanence service done anyway, and they will check all of the internal connections.

You might want to also check the operation of the fuel shutoff valve, you might have some dirt or debris that is preventing it from shutting all of the way. I would swap it out.

But again, if it is only a small bit of smoke I would not worry.

Regards,

Old 05-17-2005, 10:43 AM
matten

Mr Matt,

I swap the solenids valves, gas for fuel shutoff valve and test it several times, works fine but still have the same amount of smoke after normal shutdown of the engine, any new possibilities to look in to?

Thanks,
RM
Old 05-17-2005, 03:51 PM
mr_matt

Like I said, this is tough to diagnose cause a little some is not that uncommon and nothing to worry about. The smoke IS coming from the front of the turbine, right?

The other likely place to have smoke is from the rear of the motor, around the nozzle flange, but that seems to be present from the start if it is going to do it.

If the smoke is coming from the front of the motor, there is some fuel weaping from somewhere under the cowl. I am not sure of your warranty situation, I would take the motor apart and try to see where the fuel might be coming from, but you might want to check with your dealer first.

Regards,

Matt
Old 05-23-2005, 06:36 PM
matten

Thanks Mr Matt,

I opened the front cover of thr P-80, noted sonme fuel dripping signs at the bottom of the cover, for wath I can see, it could com from the Filter/restrictor line that feeds the berings, the rubber line was jus over the filter/restrictor barbers, not well in, came off easy, I did replace the line being very carefull, I used transparent Festo 4 mm ID Line that I have used for other places ( pup out) instalation, I have only the concern of temperature, I dont know how hot can get in that place anf if the line will hold or if I need special line.

I also notted a trace of fuel at the festo connector just where the fuel line enters the Turbine, I made sure that the line is well in now.

I have not tested the engine till now, probably this coming weekend.

I just want to keep ypu inform.

Best Regards,
Old 05-25-2005, 12:16 AM
mr_matt

OK sounds good, just make sure you do not get ANYTHING down that feed pipe when taking the tubing on and off, make sure you do not "slice" off a bit of the inside of the plastic tubing when you put it back on.

Good luck,

Matt
Old 06-25-2005, 05:26 PM
matten

Mr Matt,

Please send me your email so I can ask you a few questions regarding my P-80 before sending it to you for service, still smoking after shut down.

my email: [email protected]

Regards,
RM
Old 09-25-2005, 11:03 AM
matten

Mr Matt,

Yesterday I went to fly for the first time after Jetcat Service/upgraded my smoking P-80, the engine runs grate and seems to be more smooth running but, after landing and shut down with the automatic procedure I got the same amount of smoke coming from the front of the engine, same as before. I am not happy, I thought Jetcat have solve the problem.

Best regards,
RM
Old 09-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Eric Maydon

Hi there

Might be a silly question, but is it facing into wind when you shut it down?

Every turbine I've known, will smoke out the front during shut-down, if it is facing the wrong way.

The next problem you'll get, if you continue, will be the starter slipping due to oil residue on the O-ring.

Seen it, done it.

Eric