RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   JetCat Turbine Direct Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jetcat-turbine-direct-support-151/)
-   -   STP5 (v3) Turbo Prop engine issues. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jetcat-turbine-direct-support-151/11651172-stp5-v3-turbo-prop-engine-issues.html)

Springbok Flyer 07-06-2018 03:55 PM

STP5 (v3) Turbo Prop engine issues.

Last weekend I had a hot start on this engine, but managed to get a flight. Then on the next start I noticed that the prop did not start to turn as it usually does during the start procedure, but did eventually start to turn . The turbine started fine and I 'learned low', but when I tried to accelerate the prop did not speed up. I cut the engine and then noticed an error on the mini GSU: RPM2 FAIL.

I have taken the engine out of my model and noticed the following: the top part of the kero plug is bent and the kero plug is not tightening properly against the casing. Also the Festo connector at the bottom of the casing, which connect to the lubrication tube to the front gearbox is leaking and not tightening squarely on the casing. Both these issues are obviously the result of usage over time and me not checking it regularly enough to prevent them loosening and leaking. So I would think both these problems indicate why I have had the hot start (a first on this engine since new) as fuel would have been running out and around the casing during start. I was very lucky not to have had any fire damage to my model.

The RPM fail issue I take as meaning the prop RPM sensor has failed. Would it be right to assume that it was due to a lack of lubrication and/or getting burned during the hot start?

Given what I have, what is my best course of action? Should I send the engine back to JetCat OR just rely on my local agent to either supply me with the parts and I do the repairs myself OR get them to repair it for me?

I will appreciate your advice as this is truly a great engine and fitted to one of my most treasured models.

Regards,

JanR

Dave Wilshere 07-07-2018 01:48 PM

Always best to send it in. How many hours?

Dave

Gonzalo38 07-09-2018 04:00 AM

Jan:

Have you tried to manually spin the propeller ? The propeller should be running very smooth and if you notice some resistance, it could mean that you have some internal damage in the gears and in that case is better to send it back to the factory. The front reduction box is very sensitive to high temperatures and lack of lubrication. Any of those and the reduction will immediately start showing signs of problems.

Do you have a local dealer that can provide you with some advice ?

Springbok Flyer 07-09-2018 01:43 PM

Dave and Gonzalo,

I am sending the engine back to JetCat and will have a complete service done.

Gonzalo, the propeller is turning smoothly. It is not stuck.

Cheers,

JanR

DornierJet 07-27-2018 06:11 PM

STP10 turboprop

I’ve been having issue ms with my turboprop not throttling up. Usually first flight goes well. Then second one, after start won’t throttle up. Assumed it was due to humid weather I changed the throttle response from Normal to Slow and Very Slow. Still same issue. I changed ecu battery and no better result. Any suggestions?