Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 03:10 PM
rodestar99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Well if I needed a phone it would be a no brainer but I already have a droid 3 so if I buy a touch it will be just for the telemetry application .That is what is a pain.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:27 PM
JohnB96041

Need some help or advise about the TM1000 DSMX Full Range Aircraft Telemetry Module. Just got finished checking out my system and am not getting any telemetry signal from the TM1000 back to the transmitter. Did a re-bind of the system and still nothing. It is like the TM1000 is not transmitting. Any suggestions or help?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:05 PM
flyallday

I am having intermittent failure with one of my TM1000's. I have narrowed it down to the cable going to the TX. Might want to check the connections, pull the cables out and re-attach

Harry
Old 11-04-2011, 07:12 PM
JohnB96041

OK. I will give that a try. If it works again, then great. If not i will give HH a call for some tech support. Will follow up tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 AM
JohnB96041

Checked all cables. Unplugged and re-plugged all cables. Set receiver, satellite receiver, and TM 1000 in bind mode. Turned on TX with bind button held down (DX8). System did a complete bind at 22ms, telemetry, and booted up. Everything works except I have no Telemetry signal at the TX. None of the telemetry items register. Called HH and they have ask that I send the TM 1000 to them. It will be in the mail Monday.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:29 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Are you seeing a set of bars in the top corner? That indicates if the telemetry is working on not.

When you bind, you should see it tell you Telemetry is active. You also need to go to the Telemetry menu and enable the sensors you want to report on. When on the Main screen (with the airplane showing) you can use the roller to select telemetry data screens.

Andy
Old 11-07-2011, 03:38 PM
JohnB96041

Andy: Been there, done all that. No signal from the TM1000 to the transmitter (DX8). Only a flat line in the upper left corner of the display. Item (TM1000) has been returned to HH for evaluation and fixing. In the mean time, I have ordered another TM1000 for insurance. If there is nothing wrong with the TM1000, than it has to be the data port on the receiver. Hope that is not the issue. All other functions of the 8000 receiver work perfect, including range testing.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 AM
AndyKunz

The TM1000 does not need the data port for anything other than power. Glad to hear you have it getting checked out.

If you run into more problems, PM me to catch my attention.

Andy
Old 11-13-2011, 01:46 PM
JohnB96041

Seems as though the TM1000 unit is working just fine. I have been able to get readings from the STi module on my iPhone successfully, but without the altimeter or airspeed modules. I feel that they are not working. When I daisy chain the altimeter and/or airspeed module then the TM1000 will not bind and no readings will show on the iPhone. Have the airspeed and altimeter ready to send to HH for service. Hopefully that will resolve the issues that I have had.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:54 AM
AndyKunz

You do not need to re-bind anything when adding or removing sensors.

Andy
Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 AM
rodestar99

I just picked up a 3rd generation ipod touch for 80 bucks.
It is in as new condition and I was quite excited.
I went to order the telemetry module and the module that adapts to the itouch and
upon reading the spectrum information it says that you need a 4th generation itouch. This
could be causing some of the problems people are having. Your initial post says any itouch will work.
Before I order the spectrum modules I would like to know what is really the case.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:52 AM
AndyKunz

Any problems are NOT related to an older phone; it won't install on the old ones.

I'm not an Apple guy at all, but from what I understand they are updating the app to allow it to run on the older OS versions. According to Apple, 97.8% of the i-products still in use are compatible with the current release of the app.

Andy
Old 11-15-2011, 05:23 PM
rodestar99

Well the app store information for the software says it runs on any version. The hardware advertisement on horizon hobby says in will only work with
4th generation itouch. I contacted horizon hobby tech support and they say it will only run on 4th generation. It would be really nice to get this resolved.
Maybe you could get to the bottom . It could be horizon tech support doesn't know the software is upgraded. Or maybe it really won't work ..but I can't see
why it wouldn't.
It is costly as a consumer when the information is misleading.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:30 AM
AndyKunz

Have you tried installing the latest OS on your i-thing (or, the latest version that it can support)? The app definitely works best with the latest version of the OS, since it gives a much better user interface.

The product update will be released soon, and that will ripple a change into the app store description and marketing descriptions.

Andy
Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 AM
rodestar99

Andy, I have software version 4.2.1 which is the latest for my device. I have downloaded the app from i-tunes and the information associated with the app
states that it will work on all generations of the i-touch. I then went to buy the hardware from horizon and their info says it won't work on anything except
generation 4 i touches. This is a hardware description and not a software version description. Therefore I was unwilling to drop a couple hundred bucks
onto something that may not work. I think what you are saying is that the original apps would not work with older generation i-touches but now it will.
I tend to think that you are probably right but I am waiting for confirmation from horizon as I don't want to throw good money after bad.
The bright side of this is that being an android guy I have learned more about the ipad,itouch,iphone than I needed to know...hahahhaa. And I guess
in the long run that is what its all about.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:00 PM
AndyKunz

I finally got a chance to talk to the guy who is actually working on the app. He said that it will only support the latest OS. There would be a lot of features we would lose if it were to support the older products, and for now they are going to support only the latest.

In that case, the HH website is correct. The app store info will be updated "soon" and will match the HH description, that is, it need to run iOS 4.

I also see that quite a few of the feature requests coming from RCU and RCG will be incorporated. Should be a killer app soon!!!

Personally, for the differences he was talking about, and the 2.2% more people who could then use it w/o updating their i-thing, it just doesn't make sense to me to support the older OS/hardware versions. That doesn't mean somebody won't change their minds here, but for now I think you need to consider only newer i-products.

Andy
Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 PM
rodestar99

Andy I still think we have a mixup on nomenclature here. I was just on the hh website and they have changed their info to
say that it will now run on 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th generation i touches. I have determined that mine is a second generatio itouch but it
will run ios4 so it should be okay. This Generation thing is confusing and that is what I have been trying to get straightened out.
The ios4 is software. The generation is a hardware version. However the 2nd 3rd and 4th hardware generations will run ios 4 so I
should be okay...pheeew
Here is a table from apple showing the generations that run on ios4
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4205

This Generation thing is what is causing the problem. After I bought my itouch I spent a whole day trying to figure out which
generation I had. I finally found out when I read an arcticle on Jailbreaking which uses different software on the different generations
of itouch . The different generations use different processor speeds and screen resolutions and support different memory sizes. I think
that what hh meant to say in their add was that the spectrum device needed to run on ios4 not on 4th generation itouches.
If that were the case it would eliminate a great majority of them.
At any rate I think their stuff got changed today as I was back on there now and it says 2nd 3rd and 4th generations will work....PHHHeewwww...
So they must have read my question to tech support.

Thanks for your time and effort with regards to this and I hope I finally understand what is going on because I ordered the stuff today. If it don't work
I think I can make a good case for hh to take it back.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:02 PM
rodestar99

Well I was wrong . Here is an excerpt from the overview on the sti module on the hh website.

*Requires the free STi app. Compatible with iPad, iPad 2, iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and iPhone.

When you go to the app store it says it works with all itouch generations.

Here is what it says further down in the same overview

Made for
• iPod touch (4th generation)
• iPod touch (3rd generation)
• iPod touch (2nd generation)
• iPod touch (1st generation)
• iPhone 4S
• iPhone 4
• iPhone 3GS
• iPhone 3G
• iPhone
• iPad
• iPad 2

Now you see where the confusion is coming from.

****ttt.... I am sooooo confused.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:12 PM
AndyKunz

The answer is purely software. If you i-thingy runs iOS 4, it can support the STi.

All you have to do is determine if your device can run iOS 4, then install iOS 4 if not already loaded.

Then install the STi app.

Like I said before, the websites will be harmonized to match reality when the next update goes out.

Andy
Old 11-17-2011, 04:33 AM
rodestar99

Again, Many thanks for your help
Old 11-17-2011, 06:46 AM
AndyKunz

No problem. I kind of enjoy having a reason to learn this stuff, even though I'll never own an Apple product.

Andy
Old 11-22-2011, 04:20 PM
JohnB96041

This write up is for AndyKunz and all others that read this forum. A very large Thank You to HH for their support with my TM1000, Airspeed and Altitude module service. The TM1000 quit working, so I sent it to HH for service. They replaced it. In the mean time I ordered a second TM1000 and it worked flawlessly without the Altimeter or Airspeed plugged in. When I plugged in either one or both these items the New TM1000 quit working, but would still work with them disconnected. So I sent the Altimeter and Airspeed modules to HH for service. And, again, HH replaced both units with no charge. Now, Gentlemen, that is what is called Great Service and Customer Support. Andy, please pass this on the the tech people at HH. Thanks. I am very confident that the Alt and AirSpeed units will work when I get them through UPS. Probably early next week. I will then update this post with the results. My system now will have Battery monitoring, Cylinder head temp, Altitude, Airspeed, and RPM readings on the Transmitter as well as on my iPhone with the STi Telemetry Module. Now for some nice weather so I can go fly and give this system a real test.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM
AndyKunz

I just sent it to the head of Customer Support. Thanks for the feedback.

Andy
Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Antelope163

I understand that the STi module and the iPhone software will not work with the new iOS 5.0.1 from Apple.  I contacted HH and they confirmed that there were "issues" and to look for an app update on iTunes.  I was able to gain an initial bind but the STi dropped the connection and wouldn't allow me to set it back to teh bind mode.  Telemetry works fine back to my DX-8 transmitter.  Another flying buddy ran into the same issue but was able to get his daughters iTouch with iOS version 4 to work fine.  He let me try my STi module with his daughter's iTouch and it worked as advertised.  Has anyone else expereinced this problem?  'Anyword on a app update from Spektrum?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:05 AM
rodestar99

I got my telemetry working with my itouch and it is pretty neat.
What I would like to see is an rpm pick up that goes between the timing pick up and the ignition module
on Gas engine installations.
This would be a much easier and more flexible installation than mounting it on the back of the engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.