Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Airborne power supply LIFE or LIPO

Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 AM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airborne power supply LIFE or LIPO

I have a R921 with two satellite rx's. It can take two similar batteries and using two seperate switches gives a good backup in the case of a battery failure. If they were LIFE types could they be used without a regulator? The same applies to a 2 cell LIPO. Could that be used without a regulator? The two batteries are in parralell so it is dependant on the maimum voltages allowed by the R921.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Airborne power supply LIFE or LIPO

ORIGINAL: ntsmith

I have a R921 with two satellite rx's. It can take two similar batteries and using two seperate switches gives a good backup in the case of a battery failure. If they were LIFE types could they be used without a regulator? The same applies to a 2 cell LIPO. Could that be used without a regulator? The two batteries are in parralell so it is dependant on the maimum voltages allowed by the R921.
I use 2 cell LiFe in some aircraft and 2cell LliPo's in older aircraft. This is because I started using LiPo Rx batteries before LiFe became available.

It is primarily the servos that limit the voltage for the Rx batteries. Most modern servos are compatible with 6v. Some, like my JR791 Retract servos, are not, forcing me to either use a 5v regulator on each Retract servo, or a 5v regulator for the whole system.

Servos marked HV are compatible with unregulated 2cell LiPos (8.4v fully charged). You just need to check the specs on your receiver to be sure it is also compatible with 8.4v.

2cell LiFe packs are close to 7v fully charged. Most receivers and servos can handle that voltage without regulation. I am running unregulated 2cell LiFe packs with my AR9000 and R921 receivers without any problems.

Duralite and Fromeco, for example, use Lithium Ion cells. Those are similar to LiPos. Those two companies put Safe Charge circuitry in their packs which usually requires you to use their chargers. There are Lithium Ion packs that are sold without this circuitry.

I use FMA 10S chargers to charge any LiPo, LithIon, or A123/LiFe packs.