Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Setup for multi engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:15 AM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setup for multi engine

I have a JX11 and am considering building an electric powered Tri-Lander (Another brilliant english design) but was wondering if it would be possible to set it up so I can start the rear engine (motor) flick to pos 1 and have the front right and flick to pos 2 and have all three engines running. Not sure how this would work and if I would indeed require seperate trims on each engine (read motor for engine)
Before I ccmmit I am interested in how a possible setup would work.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:29 AM
electricpete

Default RE: Setup for multi engine

i am also interested in a 4 motor set up (Lancaster)using with a spektrum dx8 . i am considering using two reciver Is it possible with ar 6200. I would be happy to control inners with one RX and outers with 2nd RX.

Peter
Old 09-15-2011, 06:35 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ntsmith

I have a JX11 and am considering building an electric powered Tri-Lander (Another brilliant english design) but was wondering if it would be possible to set it up so I can start the rear engine (motor) flick to pos 1 and have the front right and flick to pos 2 and have all three engines running. Not sure how this would work and if I would indeed require seperate trims on each engine (read motor for engine)
Before I ccmmit I am interested in how a possible setup would work.
Sounds like you would need to do some creative work with Programmable Mixers.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: electricpete

i am also interested in a 4 motor set up (Lancaster)using with a spektrum dx8 . i am considering using two reciver Is it possible with ar 6200. I would be happy to control inners with one RX and outers with 2nd RX.

Peter
As long as you Bind each receiver, one after the other, you should have no problem with using Redundant receivers. You will still only have 6 channels to work with. I don't think it matters which receivers you use. Most people do this for Redundancy, or because it makes it easier to assemble a complicated aircraft when you can put one receiver in the fuse and one receiver in the wing, for example. Mixing the Throttles on four motors requires the use of Programmable Mixers unless there is a Canned Program in the Tx that handles this.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:10 AM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

I believed that the setup for a three engined airoplane would be different from a twin or four engined plane. Often the rear engine is used just for taxying or at least it would be more realistic to start/stop one at a time.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:36 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nigel

This works on my 11X2.4. I had to use NORMAL mixes as the CURVE mixes had constraints that wouldn’t allow them to function completely. I use AUX5 and AUX6 for the auxiliary motor channels. The AUX2 SW was used to select which motors are active. The motor on the THROTTLE channel is active full time. With the AUX2 SW in position 0, only the motor on the throttle channel is active. With the switch in position 1, both the THROTTLE channel and AUX5 are active. With the AUX SW in position 2, all three channels are active.

My normal procedure on an electric is to first inhibit the throttle trim. I set this up so there is no trim on all the motor channels.

Start with INH AUX5 and AUX6 channels’ outputs in the Device Select menu.

To have AUX5 and AUX6 outputs low when they are to be off, set the subtrims for each at -340.

For AUX5 motor, select a NORMAL program mix and mix #THRO .-> AUX5. Set both POS0 rates to 0%. Set both POS1 rates to +100%. Set the offset to -170. In the SW SEL submenu, set AUX2 positions 1 and 2 to 1; leave position 0 as 0.

For AUX6 motor, select another NORMAL program mix and mix #THRO .-> AUX6. As in the previous mix, set both POS0 rates to 0%. Set both POS1 rates to +100%. Set the offset to -170. In the SW SEL submenu, set only AUX2 position 2 to 1; leave the other positions as 0.

I’m not sure what the purpose is to have throttle trim on electric motors other to sync them. The throttle trim on the JR 11x2.4 sold here only affects the throttle for the low range. To have synchronization over the entire throttle range will require several curve program mixes using the two trim switches as the master with the motor channels as slaves. As I’m not really familiar with the throttle arrangement on the 11XZero or the DSX11, I’ll leave the trim question to be commented on by someone else.

Allan

Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 AM
ntsmith

Sounds interesting and very possible. One thing I found really interesting was the "My normal procedure on an electric is to first inhibit the throttle trim. I set this up so there is no trim on all the motor channels." I have never done this. Presumably this would then give the full throw over the channel. What advantages are there in doing this? I have found that with trim and memory on it is very usefull. One click on the trim and the motor is idleing. Could and would this be able to work with your set up. EG one click to the trim and the always fucntioning motor 1 (rear motor) is running then trim on motor two and the rear left is ideling and trim 3 to start all three motors goind. It certainly would look good
Old 09-16-2011, 10:41 AM
AWorrest

Disabling of the throttle trim for an electric is primarily a habit that is carried over from using the 9303 that is sold here. The 9303, with its analog throttle trim, doesn’t have a THRO HOLD function in ACRO that can be used to inhibit the motor as a safety switch. A way of constructing one is to set one of the curves in the THRO CURV menu to hold the motor off. However, the curve doesn’t include the throttle trim. If the trim was bumped, the motor turns on. So this scheme only works as a safety if the trim is disabled. Also, I have never had a need to use a throttle trim on an electric to keep the motor running as opposed to my IC powered models which have a very irritating habit of quitting if the idle is not set well.

In replying to your inquiry it was simpler to specify all the trims are off. I hadn’t explored the consequences of including the throttle trim in the mixes. With more reflection I probably would include it. On my 11X the only way to include the THRO HOLD on all three motor channels is to include the trim as well. As our 11X’s handle the throttle trim differently, I’ll have to leave it to you decide if you wish to include it.

Allan

Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 AM
ntsmith

Thanks Allan for your help. I really appreciate it. Now I really cant decide on a Norman Islander with the two or three engines - could build both
Old 09-16-2011, 09:02 PM
AWorrest

Nigel,

What I outlined is one of a couple ways to implement multi-motor control. I’ve been playing with using the WING TYPE’s TWIN E function but getting three motors to come on-line in the sequence as your wish is uncertain. However, if you are building a twin engine model, I would definitely recommend you use the TWIN E function instead of the program mixes I used. I was pleasantly surprise to find the 11X has separate THRO HOLD for each engine. Using this function would make the programming cleaner.

Allan