Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR's new XBus information thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 12:58 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JR's new XBus information thread

removed

Last edited by warbird_1; 04-19-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:27 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

The RG712BX is also an XBus receiver.

The single lead XBus to PWM converter is a way that a conventional servo can be connected to the XBus. A fairly long period existed between the introduction of the XBus and the introduction of XBus servos. This converter filled in the gap so people could use the XBus with their existing servos. The XBus will serve multiple channels with one three-wire harness. So while a channel may have only one servo, it is common for servos of multiple channels to exist in the same general location, such as the wing or in the tail of a large aircraft. If your aircaft is large enough to accomodate the single line converter, it could help to reduce the anount of wiring in the harness.

Allan

Last edited by AWorrest; 03-04-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:53 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by AWorrest
The RG712BX is also an XBus receiver.

The single lead XBus to PWM converter is a way that a conventional servo can be connected to the XBus. A fairly long period existed between the introduction of the XBus and the introduction of XBus servos. This converter filled in the gap so people could use the XBus with their existing servos. The XBus will serve multiple channels with one three-wire harness. So while a channel may have only one servo, it is common for servos of multiple channels to exist in the same general location, such as the wing or in the tail of a large aircraft. If your aircaft is large enough to accomodate the single line converter, it could help to reduce the anount of wiring in the harness.

Allan
Thanks allen .. so does ALL data associated with xbus travel through the one xbus port then gets distributed though a hub or is every channel port on the receiver Xbus capable?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:58 AM
AWorrest

In the spirit of full disclosure, while I have three XBus receivers and a fourth on order, I haven’t yet implemented the bus. The instructions for the RG712BX states, "The all new X-Bus system uses JR’s own serial bus data instead of PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to communicate with X-Bus products, such as servos. Control signals are sent in a serial manner to all channels, with individual servos recognizing their own data from receiver. . . ."

The number of channels that the receiver bus can serve is determined by the transmitter and not the receiver. For example, the RG712BX, is being sold with the 28X. While it can only service the first seven channels using the PWM ports, it can handle all 28 channels through the bus.

Allan
Old 03-04-2015, 10:58 AM
AWorrest

On the seven-channel receivers, the XBus port is a single three-contact connector that is physically the same as the conventional servo ports. If there are a number of high-current drawing servos attached to the bus, an XBus power hub should be used. I'm not sure how the Infinity receiver handles hign current draw.

Allan

Last edited by AWorrest; 03-04-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:43 AM
Ricko1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warbird1,

Firstly check out JR propro website for videos and explanations of the Xbus system. It takes some playing around with to get familiar with the system but I found it very useful.

I have an XG14 and 7ch Xbus receiver. In my application I needed 11 separate channels. I used the 1 into 4 Xbus cable plugged into the xbus port on the RX. The seven channel RX only has 1 Xbus port.

Channels allocated were:

Ch1 -Throttle
Ch2 -Ail (right)
Ch3- Elev (single servo )
Ch4 - Nose wheel ( linked to rudders)
Ch5 - Gear
Ch6 - AUX1 - flap (single servo operation)
Ch7 - AUX 2- brakes
Ch8 - XBUS - No1 Ail (left) designated 02-01
- No2 Rudder (left) designated 04-02
- No3 Rudder (right) designated 04-03
- No4 AUX3 - engine cut designated 08-04

So you can see I had three channels linked together - the nose wheel and two rudders. (It's a twin boom aircraft). The benefit of X bus is that I was able to adjust each of those three servos separately for trim, travel and direction. All done without the use of Y- leads.

I could have bought an 11 channel receiver and not used Xbus but at the time of first installation I only had an XG8.

The beauty of Xbus is I only have 1 lead running to the back of the fuse to run 4 channels instead of 4 servo leads. It makes a neat installation easy.

I have not used the Xbus hubs but for multiple servos with high current draws it appears to make a lot of sense.

JR's website has a wealth of information and installation layouts - choose what is applicable for your plane.

To sum it up - I like it.

cheers,

Rick

P.S. the plane has flown and is a joy to operate.

Last edited by Ricko1; 03-05-2015 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:07 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Ricko1
Warbird1,

Firstly check out JR propro website for videos and explanations of the Xbus system. It takes some playing around with to get familiar with the system but I found it very useful.

I have an XG14 and 7ch Xbus receiver. In my application I needed 11 separate channels. I used the 1 into 4 Xbus cable plugged into the xbus port on the RX. The seven channel RX only has 1 Xbus port.

Channels allocated were:

Ch1 -Throttle
Ch2 -Ail (right)
Ch3- Elev (single servo )
Ch4 - Nose wheel ( linked to rudders)
Ch5 - Gear
Ch6 - AUX1 - flap (single servo operation)
Ch7 - AUX 2- brakes
Ch8 - XBUS - No1 Ail (left) designated 02-01
- No2 Rudder (left) designated 04-02
- No3 Rudder (right) designated 04-03
- No4 AUX3 - engine cut designated 08-04

So you can see I had three channels linked together - the nose wheel and two rudders. (It's a twin boom aircraft). The benefit of X bus is that I was able to adjust each of those three servos separately for trim, travel and direction. All done without the use of Y- leads.

I could have bought an 11 channel receiver and not used Xbus but at the time of first installation I only had an XG8.

The beauty of Xbus is I only have 1 lead running to the back of the fuse to run 4 channels instead of 4 servo leads. It makes a neat installation easy.

I have not used the Xbus hubs but for multiple servos with high current draws it appears to make a lot of sense.

JR's website has a wealth of information and installation layouts - choose what is applicable for your plane.

To sum it up - I like it.

cheers,

Rick

P.S. the plane has flown and is a joy to operate.
Thanks Rick , i'm finally starting to grab the concept of XBus
Old 03-07-2015, 09:42 AM
spike5150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warbird,

i just just wanted to add some stuff that others haven't addressed. The 11ch PBU Rx is not xbus compatible. The 731, 712 and 031 infinity are the only currently released xbus receivers. All xbus Rx only have one xbus out. But, you can split this signal as many times as you need with y harnesses, or the jr xbus hubs (there are hubs for low current and high current applications).

The xbus to pwm harnesses allow you to use non-xbus servos with xbus protocol. There are also JR Xbus servos on the market now.

I have just been experimenting and reading, and have started setting this up for my Skymaster F-18. Will also be incorporating the new AXIS gyro. It is a neat system, and you should have plenty of support here on RCU.

Jeremy
Old 05-01-2015, 06:26 AM
tomfiorentino

Hey guys,
I’m surprised this thread didn’t get more activity!
I’m contemplating a 50cc Decathlon project and have a fewXbus thoughts, comments and questions all mixed in for those that might care toread and/or comment.This is prettylong, I know, and I would welcome the opportunity to chat over the phone withsomeone who might have the time for that...please PM me if that works!
Single Point ofFailure:
I can clearly see the benefits of using the Heavy DutyCenter Hub (XB1-CHB) from a power distribution point of view, and I get thechannel expandability that comes with the sub-id’s etc.But, how do you guys feel about a SINGLEextension wire to connect the Xbus receiver to the Center Hub through the XBusinput?While I suppose if you lost yourelevator or aileron servo you are smoked anyway...but, with this single pointof connection you can have the whole airframe go blank because of a failure inone wire connection.In fact, many ofthe other types of XBus connections to hubs and harnesses create the samesingle point of failure.Would you guyssee this the same way?
XB1-CV4 XbusConverter Harness:
Will one of these harnesses be able to supply power to fourPWM servos of any consequence?Chancesare if you need to drive three or four servos in any one part of the airframeyou need something beyond a standard torque digital and you need a fairly longextension to reach wherever you are headed.Can you really push power for multiple servos through the single wirepart of this harness?
XB1-PC4 Heavy DutyConverter Harness:
Unlike the harness above, this one makes more sense to mebecause power is being delivered through a separate Deans connector powerfeed.I get it if you are plumbing backto tail surfaces, but from a practical standpoint, you can’t shove a harnesslike this into a large wing where you are driving multiple servos.It seems to me the best you can do is connectto normal extension connections where the wing comes into the fuselage, but atthat point, you are pretty close to the hub anyway.So my guess is this sits plugged into theHeavy Duty Center Hub and you make your wing connections (color coded!)directly into the pigtails.Nice!
XB1-HB6 XBus Hub:
Things with the Converter Harness just got worse.JR shows plugging an XB1-CV# into thishub.Again with power delivery...thereis a limit.Sure, it’s easy to expand anddistribute the signal with these kinds of connections...but not power, right?
XB1-HB5 XBus Hub:
OK...this has a power option that the HB6 does not.But, why not have a Deans wire with this likethey do on the HD converter (XB1-PC#)?Then, the XBus servo can plug right into this and you are done.As I understand how this is designed, aseparate power feed can’t really come from a tail mounted battery, so we areback to running an extension to a battery mounted more near the CG.If this had a Deans, we could eliminatehaving to use a harness most of the time.Take a bird with three or four servos in the tail for example.A hub like this with a Deans can go 3/4 ofthe way back, and the XBus servo wires can plug directly to the hub.I’m thinking the same kind of thing for twowing halves.If you could plum it thatway you wouldn’t need to harnesses at all and by using Xbus servos you don’thave to worry about what gets plugged where.I don’t know, maybe I am missing something.
Decathlon:
For the 50cc Pilot Decathlon I have a brand new Quadra 52magneto that is tapped for a Bennet smoke pump.I’m thinking about a nice “retro” setup.No ignition battery, no smoke pump battery etc. just an easy flyer thathas nice aerobatic capabilities. It callsfor minimum 180 oz servos (which seems overkill) and with the Xbus servooptions that are available at that torque level it is a pretty expensiveproposition.It calls for 9 servos withsmoke, and in trying to use one of the 7-channel receivers that came with myXG11 I’ll have to enable Xbus.
For cost I should stay with PWM servos, I think, although as I type I should probably factor in the additional cost of converter harnesses. Anyway, this gives me two basic options as Iunderstand this stuff.
OPTION 1:I get the Xbus Xport Duo PWM converter so I can usethe Xbus channel expansion that I need and obtain power delivery features that are similar to theEC3 Power Safe receivers.I wouldn’treally need any harnesses this way and can make all connections directly back tothe converter with normal HD servo extensions.Do I understand this device properly?I enable Xbus and make all the assignments and the converter distributesa PWM signal to my non-Xbus servos??
OPTION 2:I go with a little more of a hybrid system,where I get the Xbus Redundant Center Hub (XB2-CHB), and then use PWM converterharnesses for all the servos.Thedifference with this option is that I can deliver power between the Hub and theservos with a Deans connection (may not be necessary, just a different way todo it).For example, I can use oneXB1-PC4 harness into the Hub and connect two servos from each wing to handle flapsand ailerons.Rudder is one servo on apull/pull that is close to the receiver so no real power issue there, but thereare two elevator servos in the tail so the XB1-PC2 with Deans should work wellin that application.
Servo Thought:
There is all this hype about resolution steps with the XG11transmitter.I don’t think my flyingwill ever know the difference and certainly it’s not a factor in a Decathlonproject.But, out of curiosity andknowledge, do I need to have JR Xbus servos to fully exploit the resolution stepsof the transmitter?I know there areother benefits to the Xbus servos like soft start, wide-voltage, programming etc.but just relating to resolution...is there a difference?
Thanks in advance for all that choose to respond!

Tom

Old 05-01-2015, 06:27 AM
tomfiorentino

Hey guys,
I’m contemplating a 50cc Decathlon project and have a fewXbus thoughts, comments and questions all mixed in for those that might care toread and/or comment.This is prettylong, I know, and I would welcome the opportunity to chat over the phone withsomeone who might have the time for that...please PM me if that works!
Single Point ofFailure:
I can clearly see the benefits of using the Heavy DutyCenter Hub (XB1-CHB) from a power distribution point of view, and I get thechannel expandability that comes with the sub-id’s etc.But, how do you guys feel about a SINGLEextension wire to connect the Xbus receiver to the Center Hub through the XBusinput?While I suppose if you lost yourelevator or aileron servo you are smoked anyway...but, with this single pointof connection you can have the whole airframe go blank because of a failure inone wire connection.In fact, many ofthe other types of XBus connections to hubs and harnesses create the samesingle point of failure.Would you guyssee this the same way?
XB1-CV4 XbusConverter Harness:
Will one of these harnesses be able to supply power to fourPWM servos of any consequence?Chancesare if you need to drive three or four servos in any one part of the airframeyou need something beyond a standard torque digital and you need a fairly longextension to reach wherever you are headed.Can you really push power for multiple servos through the single wirepart of this harness?
Unlike the harness above, this one makes more sense to mebecause power is being delivered through a separate Deans connector powerfeed.I get it if you are plumbing backto tail surfaces, but from a practical standpoint, you can’t shove a harnesslike this into a large wing where you are driving multiple servos.It seems to me the best you can do is connectto normal extension connections where the wing comes into the fuselage, but atthat point, you are pretty close to the hub anyway.So my guess is this sits plugged into theHeavy Duty Center Hub and you make your wing connections (color coded!)directly into the pigtails.Nice!
XB1-HB6 XBus Hub:
Things with the Converter Harness just got worse.JR shows plugging an XB1-CV# into thishub.Again with power delivery...thereis a limit.Sure, it’s easy to expand anddistribute the signal with these kinds of connections...but not power, right?
XB1-HB5 XBus Hub:
OK...this has a power option that the HB6 does not.But, why not have a Deans wire with this likethey do on the HD converter (XB1-PC#)?Then, the XBus servo can plug right into this and you are done.As I understand how this is designed, aseparate power feed can’t really come from a tail mounted battery, so we areback to running an extension to a battery mounted more near the CG.If this had a Deans, we could eliminatehaving to use a harness most of the time.Take a bird with three or four servos in the tail for example.A hub like this with a Deans can go 3/4 ofthe way back, and the XBus servo wires can plug directly to the hub.I’m thinking the same kind of thing for twowing halves.If you could plum it thatway you wouldn’t need to harnesses at all and by using Xbus servos you don’thave to worry about what gets plugged where.I don’t know, maybe I am missing something.
Decathlon:
For the 50cc Pilot Decathlon I have a brand new Quadra 52magneto that is tapped for a Bennet smoke pump.I’m thinking about a nice “retro” setup.No ignition battery, no smoke pump battery etc. just an easy flyer thathas nice aerobatic capabilities. It callsfor minimum 180 oz servos (which seems overkill) and with the Xbus servooptions that are available at that torque level it is a pretty expensiveproposition.It calls for 9 servos withsmoke, and in trying to use one of the 7-channel receivers that came with myXG11 I’ll have to enable Xbus.
For cost I should stay with PWM servos, I think, although as I type I should probably factor in the additional cost of converter harnesses. Anyway, this gives me two basic options as Iunderstand this stuff.
OPTION 1:I get the Xbus Xport Duo PWM converter so I can usethe Xbus channel expansion that I need and obtain power delivery features that are similar to theEC3 Power Safe receivers.I wouldn’treally need any harnesses this way and can make all connections directly back tothe converter with normal HD servo extensions.Do I understand this device properly?I enable Xbus and make all the assignments and the converter distributesa PWM signal to my non-Xbus servos??
OPTION 2:I go with a little more of a hybrid system,where I get the Xbus Redundant Center Hub (XB2-CHB), and then use PWM converterharnesses for all the servos.Thedifference with this option is that I can deliver power between the Hub and theservos with a Deans connection (may not be necessary, just a different way todo it).For example, I can use oneXB1-PC4 harness into the Hub and connect two servos from each wing to handle flapsand ailerons.Rudder is one servo on apull/pull that is close to the receiver so no real power issue there, but thereare two elevator servos in the tail so the XB1-PC2 with Deans should work wellin that application.
Servo Thought:
There is all this hype about resolution steps with the XG11transmitter.I don’t think my flyingwill ever know the difference and certainly it’s not a factor in a Decathlonproject.But, out of curiosity andknowledge, do I need to have JR Xbus servos to fully exploit the resolution stepsof the transmitter?I know there areother benefits to the Xbus servos like soft start, wide-voltage, programming etc.but just relating to resolution...is there a difference?
Thanks in advance for all that choose to respond!

Tom

Old 05-06-2015, 01:51 AM
tomfiorentino

Everybody out flying?
Old 05-07-2015, 10:52 AM
spike5150

Originally Posted by tomfiorentino
Hey guys,
Single Point ofFailure:
I can clearly see the benefits of using the Heavy DutyCenter Hub (XB1-CHB) from a power distribution point of view, and I get thechannel expandability that comes with the sub-id’s etc.But, how do you guys feel about a SINGLEextension wire to connect the Xbus receiver to the Center Hub through the XBusinput?While I suppose if you lost yourelevator or aileron servo you are smoked anyway...but, with this single pointof connection you can have the whole airframe go blank because of a failure inone wire connection.In fact, many ofthe other types of XBus connections to hubs and harnesses create the samesingle point of failure.Would you guyssee this the same way? Yes, each xbus connection would be a single point of failure - makes me think about making sure that connection is solid and protected. But also agree that any other servo failure would be just as catastrophic most likely.XB1-CV4 XbusConverter Harness:
Will one of these harnesses be able to supply power to fourPWM servos of any consequence?Chancesare if you need to drive three or four servos in any one part of the airframeyou need something beyond a standard torque digital and you need a fairly longextension to reach wherever you are headed.Can you really push power for multiple servos through the single wirepart of this harness? These are for low current applications only. you could also y-harness power in after the connector - BUT be sure not to back-feed power into these as it will damage the converter harness (confirmed with JRAMERICAS)
Unlike the harness above, this one makes more sense to mebecause power is being delivered through a separate Deans connector powerfeed.I get it if you are plumbing backto tail surfaces, but from a practical standpoint, you can’t shove a harnesslike this into a large wing where you are driving multiple servos.It seems to me the best you can do is connectto normal extension connections where the wing comes into the fuselage, but atthat point, you are pretty close to the hub anyway.So my guess is this sits plugged into theHeavy Duty Center Hub and you make your wing connections (color coded!)directly into the pigtails.Nice! Exactly.
XB1-HB6 XBus Hub:
Things with the Converter Harness just got worse.JR shows plugging an XB1-CV# into thishub.Again with power delivery...thereis a limit.Sure, it’s easy to expand anddistribute the signal with these kinds of connections...but not power, right? Right no power other than the hub input lead.
XB1-HB5 XBus Hub:
OK...this has a power option that the HB6 does not.But, why not have a Deans wire with this likethey do on the HD converter (XB1-PC#)?Then, the XBus servo can plug right into this and you are done.As I understand how this is designed, aseparate power feed can’t really come from a tail mounted battery, so we areback to running an extension to a battery mounted more near the CG.If this had a Deans, we could eliminatehaving to use a harness most of the time.Take a bird with three or four servos in the tail for example.A hub like this with a Deans can go 3/4 ofthe way back, and the XBus servo wires can plug directly to the hub.I’m thinking the same kind of thing for twowing halves.If you could plum it thatway you wouldn’t need to harnesses at all and by using Xbus servos you don’thave to worry about what gets plugged where.I don’t know, maybe I am missing something. Still made for lower current applications
Decathlon:
OPTION 1:I get the Xbus Xport Duo PWM converter so I can usethe Xbus channel expansion that I need and obtain power delivery features that are similar to theEC3 Power Safe receivers.I wouldn’treally need any harnesses this way and can make all connections directly back tothe converter with normal HD servo extensions.Do I understand this device properly?I enable Xbus and make all the assignments and the converter distributesa PWM signal to my non-Xbus servos?? Yes, this is the easiest way to use non-xbus servos with the flexibility of xbus channel assignments. Plus you can plug in two Rx if you want the redundancy.
OPTION 2:I go with a little more of a hybrid system,where I get the Xbus Redundant Center Hub (XB2-CHB), and then use PWM converterharnesses for all the servos.Thedifference with this option is that I can deliver power between the Hub and theservos with a Deans connection (may not be necessary, just a different way todo it).For example, I can use oneXB1-PC4 harness into the Hub and connect two servos from each wing to handle flapsand ailerons.Rudder is one servo on apull/pull that is close to the receiver so no real power issue there, but thereare two elevator servos in the tail so the XB1-PC2 with Deans should work wellin that application. Yep, you got it!
Servo Thought:
Thanks in advance for all that choose to respond! Not sure about the resolution part, main advantage is no converter harnesses needed, just power harnesses for use with the heavy duty center hubs if you go that route.

Tom
I have all the stuff for an F-18 Turbine. Using XB2-CHB with two 031Rx's, JR AXIS Gyro, XB1-CHB with JR NX servos and associated power harnesses. Plus one XB1-PC4 for gear, brakes, steering and speed brake servos/valves. Still trying to understand it all too, but making progress.

Jeremy
Old 05-12-2015, 05:16 PM
tomfiorentino

Thank you Jeremy...validating and information for me. Appreciate your responses!

Tom
Old 08-28-2016, 04:34 PM
RONW

Default X bus occasionally losing servo

Hi Chaps
I have some experience with X bus but have a strange problem with my latest setup and wonder if anyone else has experienced similar failures.
Problem: Occasionally when powering up the receiver I will get no response from a servo, usually only one (when unresponsive it is completely dead and can be operated by hand), but on rebooting the receiver it comes back online and works fine. I have not experienced any servos dropping out once they connect properly.
My setup is: RG 613BX receiver with extra remote receiver with an X bus hub powered by separate battery feeding 3 CV4 PWM harness and all servos are JR digital

Ron
Old 08-29-2016, 04:49 AM
tomfiorentino

Interesting...

Same servo each time it has done it?
Old 08-29-2016, 03:08 PM
RONW

Tom
No it started with the flap servo which was connected to a PC4 harness which I began to think was faulty so I replaced that harness with another CV4 harness. I have not seen the flap servo go like that since then but last time out one of the aileron servos went unresponsive but worked fine after a reboot and stayed good. The aileron, rudder and elevator servos are connected to two different CV$ harness which have not been changed.