Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

WARNING - Telemetry users

Old 05-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Franco2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING - Telemetry users

I thought that topic might grab your attention. But, I do have a helpful tip for those that use the Spektrum TM1000 and various sensors along with Evolution engines. The scenario goes like this:

New plane completed over the winter and I'm someone addicted to Telemetry. I rely on Altitude and Airspeed for the most part, but a new plane demands attention to head temp, and
possibly RPM. Everything was working well out front of the house, but when I got to the field, I had problems. The Signal Strength bars were good (all 4) but all sensors would hang up
after 10 or 15 seconds. Airspeed would go to dashes, number of Satellites display went to nothing, Rpm and head temp stuck on the last reading. I thought it was the RPM pick up off the ignition module. This is usually the culprit, but in the past when this was the case the Sig Strength bars would drop out.

I won't bore you with all the testing that went on, however 2 hours later at the field I was ready to pack it in. One last test I thought after removing the wings. This time I noticed that the Evolution engine wasn't running as nicely as it had the day before. It seemed very sensitive to needle valve adjustments. I had checked voltages and found them to be perfect but noticed that the head temp sensor wasn't quite pushed all the way down in the engine fins. When I went to seat it better I touched the sparkplug connector, and Viola.... found it not to be pushed in and locked completely!

This had been the cause of Telemetry loss. Bags and Bags of RFI coming from the loose sparkplug. I have never been fond of the connector that Horizon Hobby uses on their gas engines. It must be pressed and turned with extreme pressure to LOCK onto the plug. Its quite easy to improperly seat it and the engine will still run albeit now as smoothly.

Hopefully this tip will be of service to all those using Evolution engines, especially, but may well serve for other engines, when you are having Telemetry problems. I would still always advise
removing the RPM input to the TM1000 if you are having problems.

KKKKFL
Old 11-06-2015, 04:11 PM
WMF Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. This rings many bells!! I have been suffering exactly this issue and have been pulling my hair out. I have tried many things to cure the problem with no success. I have been in touch with HH but still had no solution though they did mention this forum and you in one of their general responses. I sent you an email earlier this evening to see if you could offer any help with the issue but have now found this post! I will be checking this plug lead connection first thing tomorrow and it will hopefully resolve this issue.