Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Any rumors or plans for a JR DMSS 18 channel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:04 AM
rmorris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any rumors or plans for a JR DMSS 18 channel?

Is there any news, or even rumors, of a new radio from JR to bridge the gap between the XG14 and the 28x? I am hoping for something with 18-20 channels to compete with the new Futaba 18SZ and DX18.

thanks!
Old 10-27-2015, 04:54 PM
bjw4072
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fiatmustang
Is there any news, or even rumors, of a new radio from JR to bridge the gap between the XG14 and the 28x? I am hoping for something with 18-20 channels to compete with the new Futaba 18SZ and DX18.

thanks!
I am confident there will be a lower cost, somewhat lesser capable version of the 28X, to compete with
the Futaba and Spektrum radios you mention. But why wait ... get the 28X now as I did.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:10 PM
rmorris

Originally Posted by bjw4072
I am confident there will be a lower cost, somewhat lesser capable version of the 28X, to compete with
the Futaba and Spektrum radios you mention. But why wait ... get the 28X now as I did.
The short answer is 28X = $2500 and no credit from JR for my current 9303 like they do against the XG11 and XG14.
Long answer is comparing $2500 to what a DX18 or 18sz would cost, that's around $1500 - $1800 I can use to help my kids out with and still have some to spend elsewhere in the hobby.

But i sure hope your are right, and soon. I think JR stands to lose a lot of flyers in the "18-channels-for-half-of-what-a-28x-costs' segment of the market, and I really don't want to be one of them.

Anyone else heard anything?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:26 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

Imho, there is not really that large of a gap to be filled between the xg14 and the 28X. Other than 18 channels, what are you looking for in an in between radio? The 14 is an amazing radio, and the price is ¼ of the 28x.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:04 AM
rmorris

Originally Posted by baronbrian
Imho, there is not really that large of a gap to be filled between the xg14 and the 28X. Other than 18 channels, what are you looking for in an in between radio? The 14 is an amazing radio, and the price is ¼ of the 28x.
My question comes form a competitiveness perspective. As far as need goes, I think 14 channels with a bus system would handle pretty much everything in even a complex plane. So it's either a bus or more channels. But obviously someone felt 14 wasn't enough and there was a market need 28 channels.

Spektrum and Futaba both have 18 channels and fill the gap for anyone wanting to go more than 14 for any reason for $~1000. So they have options in between the cost of the 14 channels and the mega cost of a Futaba 18MV. The step size from the model under it to that new option is around $400-$50.

JR has a step size of $2000 to go from the XG14 to the 28x. So anyone wanting to go with JR, with more channels and/or features, but wanting a financial option in between $650 and $2700 is out of luck. I'm just hoping they plug that hole.

I'm a weekend flyer and just getting back into the hobby and giant scale birds. I can definitely find something to do with more than 14 channels, and I can maybe justify around $1000 for a new radio, but trying to justify 12 channel and $2700 is not going to happen.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:52 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the past, the number of transmitter channels had a direct correlation to its price and its primacy in the manufacturer’s line. This is no longer the case. Using price as the criteria, in the JR lineup the XG11 is number two and the XG14 is third.

In picking a transmitter, the decision is better based on how well the channels serve your purpose and not how many there are. For example, are all the channels full performance or are some limited to low resolution or on-off action? Another consideration is how many of the channels can be controlled independently. Both the XG14 and XG11 have the same number of switches and sliders. The X28 has more of these input devices but there aren’t twenty-eight of them.

Nowadays a high channel-count is mostly a sales gimmick to sway the uninformed. There possibly is a demand for a transmitter in the $1500 range. For me to purchase it, it is going to have to offer much more than having more channels than my XG11.

Allan
Old 11-07-2015, 02:57 PM
rmorris

The point of the question I posted was not about how to pick a transmitter. It's just a question of whether or not JR is going to release a cost-competitive alternative in the 18-channel market to Futaba and Spektrum.

For the flier that wants more than 14 channels, regardless of the reason, and not wanting to spend over $2000 for a radio, for whatever that reason may be, then right now JR is not a consideration.

All 3 manufacturers have choices in every other channel count under 18, I was hoping to see the same hold true in that segment as well.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:04 PM
baronbrian

A 18 channel JR radio could be based on the 11X/XG11 platform, with a few more features and carry a price in the $1000 range. but IMO, once you have crossed into the 1K price range, peoples' expectations change and they are likely willing to spend more to have the best. An expensive radio is a luxury item and if you truly need more than what a XG14 can do you probably have a several thousand dollar craft and the 28X would only be a small part of your hobby budget.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:15 PM
baronbrian

Originally Posted by rmorris
For the flier that wants more than 14 channels, regardless of the reason, and not wanting to spend over $2000 for a radio, for whatever that reason may be, then right now JR is not a consideration.

All 3 manufacturers have choices in every other channel count under 18, I was hoping to see the same hold true in that segment as well.
two sided coin; if you need over 18 channels, the ONLY choice is JR. Also, if you want 4096 resoulution in your 18 channel radio (I would), spektrum is out of the running there too.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:59 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

morris,

The point I was making is, "Why would anyone pay more $1000 or more for an XG14 that is unchanged except for having eighteen channels?" The only reason I can see is for bragging rights. Now if they took the best of the XG11 and XG14 programming, enhance it some, add a couple of extra knobs, and include it all in a case with the best gimbals and a larger screen, then there would be a reason for it. It could also include four extra channels so it could be called an XG18!

Allan
Old 11-10-2015, 01:56 PM
rmorris

Originally Posted by AWorrest
morris,

Now if they took the best of the XG11 and XG14 programming, enhance it some, add a couple of extra knobs, and include it all in a case with the best gimbals and a larger screen, then there would be a reason for it. It could also include four extra channels so it could be called an XG18!

Allan
Now, we're talking. That is what I was hoping someone had some inside scoop on coming in the not too distant future. Simply more channels isn't enough without the add-ons. I hear the XG14 has nicer gimbals than the XG11, but a smaller screen and, at least some say, a less comfortable smaller case.

But there is a lot of room between a $650 XG14 and a $2300 28x. Spending and extra $400 or so is much different than spending an extra $1600+. Again, its more a question of satisfying market-want rather than technical need. I don't know how much of this is already in the XG14, but my desires would include requests for voice announcements on both switch position and telemetry, assignable switch to channel assignments, the option to enable true model-match with lockout, and, just to get wild let's throw inability to switch between a smooth heli-type and ratcheted-airplane type throttle with having to physically change the transmitter and be one way or the other (as I said, its about wants, not needs)

baronbrian: Good point on the 18+ channel market. One for JR! But my guess is its a much smaller market segment than the 18-channel market. Maybe I'm wrong. I have to believe the marketing guys at JR are smarter than I am about this stuff.