Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR's Xbus explained

Old 01-03-2016, 05:40 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR's Xbus explained

I thought i'd make a video that explains Jr's Xbus setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M21K4LchN38&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by warbird_1; 01-03-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:56 AM
grizzly59

A XG 14 will be delivered to me on Tuesday. Fifteen years a JR user and went to Spektrum and tried Hitec when DMSS came out. I missed the JR feeling and found one for sale. I was aware of XBus but it was a mystery for sure and I wondered if I could catch on, Your video came here at just the right time. It serves more than enough information to get me started. Great job. Thank you very much.

Last edited by grizzly59; 01-03-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:14 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by grizzly59 View Post
A XG 14 will be delivered to me on Tuesday. Fifteen years a JR user and went to Spektrum and tried Hitec when DMSS came out. I missed the JR feeling and found one for sale. I was aware of XBus but it was a mystery for sure and I wondered if I could catch on, Your video came here at just the right time. It serves more than enough information to get me started. Great job. Thank you very much.
Grizzly , i'm glad to see you coming back to JR. the new DMSS system is very nice but the xbus system really finishes off a really nice radio system . thank you for the kind words and if you have any questions ,don't be afraid to ask. the 14 is a nice setup. i have one and returned it because i couldn't get over the 28X.. had ti have it. lol again... make sure your firmware is up to date. good luck to you WB_1
Old 01-21-2016, 05:30 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

warbird,
I saw that you posted this video a few weeks ago, but didn't get around to watching the whole thing until today. very comprehensive, definitely took some mystery out of the process. I have a XG14 that I bought last summer for pattern flying and I am setting up a 1/5th scale chipmunk this winter that has 2 aileron and 2 flap servos. the thought of only having a single extension that goes to a xbus hub in the wing is wonderful.

I hope JR continues to develop the smart servo line. there isn't a good option for a premium grade standard size coreless servo such as the 8231 or 8411.
I know JR has released a HV variant of the 8411, maybe now make a smart 8231 in the $75-80USD range? or a smart 9411HV?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:21 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by baronbrian View Post
warbird,
I saw that you posted this video a few weeks ago, but didn't get around to watching the whole thing until today. very comprehensive, definitely took some mystery out of the process. I have a XG14 that I bought last summer for pattern flying and I am setting up a 1/5th scale chipmunk this winter that has 2 aileron and 2 flap servos. the thought of only having a single extension that goes to a xbus hub in the wing is wonderful.

I hope JR continues to develop the smart servo line. there isn't a good option for a premium grade standard size coreless servo such as the 8231 or 8411.
I know JR has released a HV variant of the 8411, maybe now make a smart 8231 in the $75-80USD range? or a smart 9411HV?
baron , i'm glad the video was a help to you. i know that i come to the net a lot for info so i'm just doing my part to pay it forward. i'm with ya on the xbus servo prices. i think in time , when it becomes more widespread , you'll see the prices come on par with what PWM servos are now. after spek and JR parted ways , i was stuck with a making a decision weather to stay with DMSX or move to DMSS. after a lot of contemplating i moved on . the main reason being , i was being forced to buy spek receivers which i really don't like or trust. I'm extremely glad i did as the xbus system is awesome. I'd like to offer you a bit of advice on Xbus. don't be afraid to think outside of the box. the possibilities are endless. don't be afraid to jump in if you have any questions, WB_1
Old 01-21-2016, 06:57 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

WB1, my original post was much longer, but the rcu bug somehow logged me out while i was typing my message. I had a few more questions for you since you have the hardware in front of you.
When programming smart servos, you just plug the servo straight into the xbus port on the rx, or do you use a hub? and also, if you are using 2 or more converter harnesses, do you just plug in one at a time for programming, and then plug both into a y harness for flying?
I am torn between using a converter harness an 4 old tech servos, or buying a hub and using the new 588 servos. I am sure the 588s are up to the task, but i normally use better coreless servos here like 8231s. Just trying to figure out what I need to buy for the project.
Thanks!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:46 AM
warbird_1

WB1, my original post was much longer, but the rcu bug somehow logged me out while i was typing my message. I had a few more questions for you since you have the hardware in front of you.
When programming smart servos, you just plug the servo straight into the xbus port on the rx, or do you use a hub? and also, if you are using 2 or more converter harnesses, do you just plug in one at a time for programming, and then plug both into a y harness for flying?
I am torn between using a converter harness an 4 old tech servos, or buying a hub and using the new 588 servos. I am sure the 588s are up to the task, but i normally use better coreless servos here like 8231s. Just trying to figure out what I need to buy for the project.
Thanks!
first question ... when programming a converter cable or servos you can do either. second question is yes . you can only have one converter cable plugged in at a time when programming. i have one NX588 that i bought for a project. .... depending on your torque needs , the 588's @ 6.0 volts put out around 80 .oz . . the programming for xbus servos is a little tricky at first . so i'll post another video on that. it's easier for me then trying to type it out. WB_1
Old 01-22-2016, 04:55 AM
br549-2

Thanks for the video warbird_1. I have the xg8 and have read up on it, but the vid helps a lot. The only software version I have seen is 08, is yours the latest? Are you using a card other than jr? I too went the jr route in the 90's then with spec cuz of the jr affiliation. the old max 6 is still going.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:00 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by br549-2 View Post
Thanks for the video warbird_1. I have the xg8 and have read up on it, but the vid helps a lot. The only software version I have seen is 08, is yours the latest? Are you using a card other than jr? I too went the jr route in the 90's then with spec cuz of the jr affiliation. the old max 6 is still going.
BR , yes mine is the lastest on my XG8 . it should be 0017 on the end. if you follow along on the video you can find your version if you haven't yet. o8 doesn't sound like a software version but then i don't know how old you radio is ,WB_1 p.s. are you talking about the sd card in the radio? i just went to walmart and bought one
Old 01-22-2016, 05:22 AM
br549-2

Originally Posted by warbird_1 View Post
BR , yes mine is the lastest on my XG8 . it should be 0017 on the end. if you follow along on the video you can find your version if you haven't yet. o8 doesn't sound like a software version but then i don't know how old you radio is ,WB_1 p.s. are you talking about the sd card in the radio? i just went to walmart and bought one
WB1, yes the SD card. I will check the version #. Thank you once again. RCU rocks!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 05:49 AM
warbird_1

oups.. double post
Old 01-22-2016, 10:47 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. . . When programming smart servos, you just plug the servo straight into the xbus port on the rx, or do you use a hub? and also, if you are using 2 or more converter harnesses, do you just plug in one at a time for programming, and then plug both into a y harness for flying? . . .
Originally Posted by warbird_1 View Post
first question ... when programming a converter cable or servos you can do either. second question is yes . you can only have one converter cable plugged in at a time when programming. . . .
Initially when programming the NX servos, they have to be done one at a time as far as assigning their channel and sub channel numbers, the same as with the converter harness. The servo’s default and initial designation is channel 1-1. The converter harness also starts out with all the outputs as the throttle channel but with different sub channels. If you plug in more than one NX servo or converter harness before reassigning the channels, you ‘ll have duplicate programming on each.

Allan

Last edited by AWorrest; 01-22-2016 at 10:49 AM.