Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

XG14 Throttle lag

Old 01-08-2016, 06:25 AM
grizzly59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XG14 Throttle lag

What are the purpose of the throttle limiters?Wonder if I should install them. I have two issues with first use of the transmitter.

1. It takes two or three clicks of throttle up to get my electric motor going.

2. Throttle trim is used to give me an idle but it is much to fast.

Did not have that lag or high idle speed with other transmitters. Wondering why? I see no way of fixing this with an esc adjustment looking in esc manual for Air Boss esc. nor do I get an idea for a fix looking at the manual. I tried different settings in "travel adjust" for throttle but no fix. I am very familiar with modern day transmitters and setups but never had an issue like this. Asking same question on other sites hoping for an answer to this problem.

Did not try binding with the throttle trim all the way down instead of in it's default center position. I did that on occasion on my 11X DSMX transmitter. Wonder if that would make a difference?

Last edited by grizzly59; 01-08-2016 at 06:27 AM. Reason: word change
Old 01-08-2016, 02:15 PM
grizzly59

Sent it in for a check up.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Aerocal

You probably didnt need to send it in. Im not completely familiar with XG radios (Im a Spektrum guy)
but from your description your ESC is arming and functioning so there should be no need to trim down to get it armed.
It sounds like you just need to recalibrate your ESC's travel range. It varies with some ESCs so read manual but generally you power it on with stick at full and then wait for some tones.Then move stick full down and wait for another set of tones(usually the arming tones). Your telling your ESC what the pulse width range of that specific Tx is. They may be slightly different from model to model of tx.

Its also possible that your Tx stick range is slightly out of calibration and its giving a dead zone on one end. It sounds more like if you have an absolute travel setting that maybe that was holding the channel output slightly of of what it normally would be at full low stick. Im a little confused about your saying that some clicks of up trim give you idle.Does it stay Off and then as you click trims at some point it jumps to a running condition? Its kind of hard to visualize exactly what you have going on.

Thr limiters are little shim blocks/stops that are physically inserted into the gimbals to slightly reduce the actual stick travel before it hits the end. This helps us guys with shorter thumbs by not having to reach for the ends of travel and possibly introduce rudder interaction.
Anytime they are installed or removed the Thr axis needs to be recalibrated because -100 and 100 are now in slightly different positions in relation to the stick.Stick calibration is generally something a user can do.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:16 AM
grizzly59

Thanks for thinking this through with me. I did send it in and they recalibrated the stick range as did I. I have the same issue with the motor. I push the throttle up a few notches before it starts running. I looked at the esc manual and see no mention for recalibrating the ESC's travel range. I am using an Airboss from Extreme Flight. My 11X worked slick with no need to adjust anything on this same plane. The same goes for a Spektum I used with this plane. This XG14 just does not feel good using the throttle with this motor esc set up.

Second item mentioned is using the throttle trim button. When the throttle is down and engine not running I start clicking up the trim button to make the motor to start running just like setting the idle on a gaser or glow. I like the motor to be running at an idle speed when I throttle down. The first instant the motor starts running it runs to fast. I found no way to make it run slower as when I used the other two transmitters with this set up.

I will mess around a bit today and see if I bind it with different settings will help. Thanks for your advice.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:57 AM
grizzly59

Did something that works. Turn on transmitter and power to the receiver. Now I use the throttle trim button and move it up until the motor runs. This will be idle. It is a bit higher than I am accustomed to but the plane will not move forward. One click down will stop the idle. I leave it there. Now when I use the throttle it starts running the second i push the throttle forward. It is like a hair trigger it starts so fast. All I have to do now is give the throttle trim one click up and it idles when the plane is throttled down.

I shut down everything and started with the throttle trim button left where I set it, one click below idle and the plane is operational when I turn on transmitter and receiver. This is contrary to Spektrum which will not turn on due to the throttle trim button being set high. I also have a kill switch which I use immediately upon landing. This will work for me now.

Last edited by grizzly59; 01-16-2016 at 05:40 PM. Reason: word change
Old 01-16-2016, 11:11 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried changing the throttle trim resolution from the default 4 setting to 1 in the System List’s Trim System menu? This may improve the transition from motor off to motor idle.

Allan