Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

What happemns if satellite RX gets disconnected?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:42 AM
Jack_K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happemns if satellite RX gets disconnected?

What would happen if the satellite receiver on my Spektrum AR6210 receiver gets disconnected (cable comes loose) during flight?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

The rx will continue to work until the power is turned off presumably after landing. It will not turn on again without the satellite connected.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:12 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by Zeeb
The rx will continue to work until the power is turned off presumably after landing. It will not turn on again without the satellite connected.
The cable was disconnected when I found the crash, but both receivers were in place. The receiver powered back on and worked with the cable still disconnected. Hmmm.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Well it will power up but if it requires a satelite it won't connect to the radio.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:09 PM
WMF Flyer

Both answers provided above can be true dependent upon the receiver in question. Some receivers require the satellite but as long as it is connected at power up will continue to work should it become disconnected thereafter until power down, but then will not reconnect to the Tx until the satellite has then been reconnected. Other Rx will work with or without the satellite. Quoting a question and answer (from Andy Kunz) from another forum:[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt2"]So you can use it ((in this case the new AR6600T receiver) with or without the sat? Is that new for Spectrum? I thought I remember hearing that if it has a sat port, you needed to use it.. Maybe that was just for the particular Rx being discussed at the time.

Answer: It's not a law of the universe. It's a rule of thumb. (A Kunz)[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

It would be useful to have a listing of all Rx's that can have a satellite connected and list whether they will work with or without the satellite. Anyone know if this resource is available anywhere? I must admit I can't personally see why you would choose to use a satellite capable receiver without one as it gives that extra diversity but is confusing trying to understand how the setup should respond with all these variants. In this case, I don't know if the AR6210 needs the satellite or whether it is an optional extra but it is certainly true that if it was connected at power up the RX will continue to work even if it becomes disconnected in flight. The question would only be whether it would need to reconnected before the Rx would work again or whether it would work (with less diversity) regardless. From the description of the events above it sounds as though the AR6210 is an example of a Rx where the satellite is optional.

Last edited by WMF Flyer; 09-13-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:36 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Another rule of thumb if you will is if it comes with 1 it probably requires 1, if it ships with 3 it probably requires 3.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:42 PM
WMF Flyer

Agreed. But in the case of the AR6600T it is supplied with one and apparently doesn't require one! If supplied I would still use it anyway but it would be good to have a definitive listing of Rx's and if satellite capable whether the satellite use is optional or mandatory. If supplied with a satellite (or three) it is implicitly implied that they should be used and not to do so would be a questionable action. It is having the fundamental understanding of whether they are mandatory or optional that would be useful purely to ensure we fully understand our setup. This is all straying somewhat from the original question but nonetheless helps understand how the overall system is operating.

Update: From the AR6210 manual: Single receiver capable (can be used with or without the included Remote Receiver, note that the AR6210 is limited to park flyer aircraft only when not using the remote receiver).

Presumably should the satellite receiver become detached in flight it will revert to the park flyer limitation.

Last edited by WMF Flyer; 09-13-2016 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added additional comment. Added update re manual for AR6210
Old 09-13-2016, 03:55 PM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by WMF Flyer
Update: From the AR6210 manual: Single receiver capable (can be used with or without the included Remote Receiver, note that the AR6210 is limited to park flyer aircraft only when not using the remote receiver).

Presumably should the satellite receiver become detached in flight it will revert to the park flyer limitation.
What, exactly, is the park flyer mode?
Old 09-13-2016, 04:17 PM
WMF Flyer

Not a full range receiver. Only suitable for Park flying (never seen it specified how big a park is though ;-) ). I have seen a Spektrum article that reports a full range receiver has been tested at over 1 mile though.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:04 AM
NelsonNibs

I just installed Telemetry using AR6600T (and variometer) in my Radian. I did not connect the satellite, since I was having trouble finding a good place for it. Fortunately I did a range test before flight - and if failed miserably! (OK until 15 paces, but not the 30 recommended) I called the hobby store and they told me that since the satellite comes with it, it is highly advisable to always use it. Two lessons learned - (1) ALWAYS do a range test after installing any new stuff, and (2) if a receiver comes with a satellite, use it!!
Old 07-18-2017, 01:24 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Where did you put the antennas in the Radian? Got a photo?

Andy
Old 07-19-2017, 09:39 AM
NelsonNibs

Default Installation in Radian

See Photos (I hope this works)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3396.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	2225018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3395.JPG