Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

No throttle control DX6i with PZ Ember 2, Sukhoi 26m or Nano QX

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 05:23 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default No throttle control DX6i with PZ Ember 2, Sukhoi 26m or Nano QX

I have a DX6i transmitter which bound with my Ember 2 and flew it fine, but now will not run the motor. I start with throttle in down position, raise it, and nothing happens. Rudder and elevator work fine.

Then I tried it with my Su-26m and found the same thing...rudder, elevator and ailerons all work, but throttle does not.

I can't fly my Nano QX quad either. All three aircraft bound with the DX6i just fine, but I cannot throttle up.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-18-2016, 06:04 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go into Monitor mode on the 6i then move the throttle gimbal/stick up & down and look at the display and see if it shows it moving up & down.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:24 PM
buzzard bait

Thank you! I did what you suggested. The display shows movement with the throttle, but it is not normal. If I move the throttle up (full throttle) it looks good on the screen, but as I move it down it only moves a little past the center mark and appears a little unstable, like it twitches a bit. The others, ail, elev, rud all move fine from one end to the other.

What's next?

Jim
Old 11-18-2016, 07:57 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably a trip to Horizon service for new pots.. I just had to do that with mine, the aileron pot got noisy and erratic.

Not the first DX6i I've heard of with this issue.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:07 PM
buzzard bait

Thanks much. Any idea of cost? Should I get them all done?

Jim
Old 11-18-2016, 08:13 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all it cost me was shipping it to them. No promises, but their service folks have a reputation of taking good care of their customers
Old 11-19-2016, 03:05 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Thank you! I did what you suggested. The display shows movement with the throttle, but it is not normal. If I move the throttle up (full throttle) it looks good on the screen, but as I move it down it only moves a little past the center mark and appears a little unstable, like it twitches a bit. The others, ail, elev, rud all move fine from one end to the other.

What's next?

Jim

A good number of the DX6i's had faulty gimbal pots and there was a recall on them years ago. It's tough to find one in good working condition and if so I still wouldn't trust it controlling anything expensive

Horizon is great and they will repair it but maybe it's time to consider a new radio like a DX6 or DX6e. http://www.horizonhobby.com/category...t-transmitters
Old 11-19-2016, 05:04 AM
buzzard bait

Thanks guys, I bought this second hand (bad decision, I guess) for micros only; it looks like new and it was $60 shipped. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I will send it in to Horizon and hope for the best.

I have a Futaba 7C FAAST for my bigger planes, but I want to be able to bind to the little Spektrum micro bricks.

Jim
Old 12-02-2016, 01:59 PM
buzzard bait

Unfortunately Horizon refused to fix it because it has a back lighting modification. Any mods and the company won't touch it, even for out of warranty repairs.

Is the potentiometer for the throttle something I can replace myself? If so, can someone help me do it? Maybe there is a Youtube video, I'll have a look.

Jim
Old 12-02-2016, 06:38 PM
flyinwalenda

You will find it difficult to obtain replacement pots that can be simply installed.
Years ago some users have taken the backs off of the factory pots and tightened up the rivets holding the wiper arms on as that was supposedly the reason for them failing.

If you want to try repairing it for the experience that's fine but to try and repair the radio to use it .........I don't think so. It would be best to just buy a new radio.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:44 PM
buzzard bait

Thanks, I am thinking of getting a DX6e, but I got this for micros only, so I'm fine with trying to fix it. I just found some youtube videos on cleaning the pots, so I'll give it a try.

I think the DX6e will work with all my stuff, so if the fix doesn't work well I'll go with that.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:07 PM
buzzard bait

Success! Youtube is amazing, you can find practically anything. There were two videos on cleaning a glitching pot on a DX6i, and now everything works.

Horizon could have done this if their risk management lawyer let them. But I give them credit for not charging me to send it back. I'm just happy to have it working again.

Jim