Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR servo load alarm system using Xbus

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:07 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JR servo load alarm system using Xbus

Anybody know the in's and out's of the JR servo overload Alarm system using Xbus? i've combed the web and called jr and i still can't get help.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:37 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

When the load on the servo exceeds the set alarm percentage, the servo motor emits a faint high-pitch tone in the same manner as an ESC causes an electric motor on a plane to act as its speaker. I was experimenting with it using an NX588 servo driven by 4.8V NiCd pack. I had to put my ear next to the servo to hear it. The tone might be louder had I used a higher voltage battery and a different servo.

The only literature that I’ve seen on the subject is the XG addendum to the instruction manual, e.g., V0001-0005 to the XG14.

Allan
Old 11-29-2016, 10:38 AM
AWorrest

Deleted - double post!

Last edited by AWorrest; 11-29-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:49 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by AWorrest
When the load on the servo exceeds the set alarm percentage, the servo motor emits a faint high-pitch tone in the same manner as an ESC causes an electric motor on a plane to act as its speaker. I was experimenting with it using an NX588 servo driven by 4.8V NiCd pack. I had to put my ear next to the servo to hear it. The tone might be louder had I used a higher voltage battery and a different servo.

The only literature that I’ve seen on the subject is the XG addendum to the instruction manual, e.g., V0001-0005 to the XG14.

Allan
i have to disagree. how would you know if you were overloading a servo in flight? that radio is supposed to alert you only they don't give and explanation as to how you set it and what constitutes overloading. each servo is different .i do have the add. for the XG series ,but again they tell you it's there and that's as far as it goes. i love the 28x but i have been an outspoken critic of the support being below par and i'm being nice. this lack of info only reinforces my feelings . WB_1

Last edited by warbird_1; 11-29-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:42 PM
AWorrest

While in-flight warning would be beneficial that is not what is described in the addendum. No reference is made to the transmitter in the section about "Additional parameters for NX servos." When the alarm is set, the servo will beep under load.

It shouldn’t be too difficult to implement in-flight servo overload warning in the future. There is already two-way communication between the transmitter and servo. For the present, the alarm seems to be only an aid in setting up the servos while on the ground. I would like to be mistaken.

Allan
Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 PM
warbird_1

While in-flight warning would be beneficial that is not what is described in the addendum. No reference is made to the transmitter in the section about "Additional parameters for NX servos." When the alarm is set, the servo will beep under load.

It shouldn’t be too difficult to implement in-flight servo overload warning in the future. There is already two-way communication between the transmitter and servo. For the present, the alarm seems to be only an aid in setting up the servos while on the ground. I would like to be mistaken.

Allan
the addendum doesn't refer to either the transmitter or the servo producing a " sound" so i have to refer to jr to clarify just what is supposed to be making the " beep" .
A beep (high frequency) sound is used to provide feedback on servo load. Set the
percentage of maximum load to alarm at.
To me, it would make no sense to have the servo beep ..the servo may be fine on the ground but be overloaded in flight especially at high speed , high G maneuvers. that's what my understanding is . i can see where a servo could be overloaded on the ground due to stiff control surfaces or binding . if that's the case , the alarm sys is worthless IMO. i have an NX588 servo that i tried to stall on the bench. even after tring all types of settings . i never got either the radio or the servo to make noise. my thoughts were the alarm sys rode on the back of the telemetry sys.

Last edited by warbird_1; 11-29-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:48 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
the addendum doesn't refer to either the transmitter or the servo producing a " sound" so i have to refer to jr to clarify just what is supposed to be making the " beep" .
A beep (high frequency) sound is used to provide feedback on servo load. Set the
percentage of maximum load to alarm at.
To me, it would make no sense to have the servo beep ..the servo may be fine on the ground but be overloaded in flight especially at high speed , high G maneuvers. that's what my understanding is . i can see where a servo could be overloaded on the ground due to stiff control surfaces or binding . if that's the case , the alarm sys is worthless IMO. i have an NX588 servo that i tried to stall on the bench. even after tring all types of settings . i never got either the radio or the servo to make noise. my thoughts were the alarm sys rode on the back of the telemetry sys.
Allan is one of our most knowledgeable contributors and can help with numerous different radios. Since this forum was abandoned by Horizon/JR some eight years or so ago, the only folks from "JR" answering questions here is Andy Kunz who will address issues related to the JR radios equipped with the Spektrum RF deck.

If you are not happy with Allan's attempt to help you, to the point of being rude, I suggest you contact the new USA distributor for JR.....
Old 11-30-2016, 04:01 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Allan is one of our most knowledgeable contributors and can help with numerous different radios. Since this forum was abandoned by Horizon/JR some eight years or so ago, the only folks from "JR" answering questions here is Andy Kunz who will address issues related to the JR radios equipped with the Spektrum RF deck.

If you are not happy with Allan's attempt to help you, to the point of being rude, I suggest you contact the new USA distributor for JR.....
What are you talking about? who's being rude? just because i challenge a persons opinion means i'm being rude? that's why the post , to get to the facts that's why i hate posting here . it's all drama . now i'll be rude.. if you feel that my challenging a different point of view is being rude then i invite you go to a " safe place" away from my micro aggression's. other wise feel free to post relevant facts to forum

Last edited by warbird_1; 11-30-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:44 AM
warbird_1

Allan
Allen , i want to say you are right. the lower the percentage the more noise you hear from the servo. the wording in the Addendum threw me off as i was expecting to hear a noise from the radio not the servo . i thought the alarm sys was to warn you in flight that you were pushing the servos to hard. i did hear a noise from the servo but likened it to the normal servo noise you get from a digital servo being pushed to hard " overloaded" . though mine doesn't beep but just a high pitched tone , i'm assuming i'm hearing what your talking about. if i turn the percentage all the way up i got no noise at all. i have to say that one the system to me is useless given the fact that most digital servos whine when stressed thus they tell you when something isn't right and two the alarm sys does nothing for you in flight . thank you for your help. it's more than JR does sometimes. WB_1
Old 11-30-2016, 11:17 AM
AWorrest

WB-1,

No offense was taken. I enjoyed our discussion as it gave me an opportunity to explore the workings of XBus. Because of the type and size of the planes I fly, I haven’t been able to find a practical use for it despite having most of the paraphernalia. It remains a solution in search of a problem.

My first impression of the alarm’s purpose was the same as yours. After coming to the conclusion it wasn’t telemetering info back, my opinion of its usefulness was only slightly less harsh than yours.

Allan
Old 11-30-2016, 01:16 PM
warbird_1

WB-1,

No offense was taken. I enjoyed our discussion as it gave me an opportunity to explore the workings of XBus. Because of the type and size of the planes I fly, I haven’t been able to find a practical use for it despite having most of the paraphernalia. It remains a solution in search of a problem.

My first impression of the alarm’s purpose was the same as yours. After coming to the conclusion it wasn’t telemetering info back, my opinion of its usefulness was only slightly less harsh than yours.

Allan
Allen , most of my frustration stems from lack of tech support from JR. i really like the JR line and the DMSS system. i feel it's more robust than the older DMSX protocol.
i have been around and around with JR and even it's owner at JR Americas about the tech support issue . It doesn't matter if you have a XG6 or a 28X , it's no good to you if you can't get help with problems. And what i think is worst is i think, they think is you should rely on the web to solve your problems. As far as Xbus goes , i think it's the best thing JR ever did. i love it. it makes things a lot easier and cheaper to use.When i came across the alarm system , i was excited because i really would like something like that in the new jet i'm putting together . The jet requires mini servos on the elevator and i'm not pleased with the setup. So i was thinking the alarm system would be great because i thought it would notify me if i was pushing the servo's to hard only to find out it doesn't , That was a real bummer. So after i got the 28 and sold my 12x it's been a roller coaster ride of Frustration and excitement.i plan on using the heavy Xbus cable with power to drive the tail servos as they are 4' from the receiver. thanks for your input and help,WB_1