Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum DX6i dropping bound transmitters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spektrum DX6i dropping bound transmitters?

Hello,
I have 2 Spektrum transmitters, one is a fairly new DX6 which has worked well with 4 Spektrum receivers bound to it. The other is a older DX6i that I bought at a swap meet for my son which doesn`t seem to hold onto the same 4 receivers. When we want to fly together the DX6i shows the aircraft on the list, but when selected and the plane is powered up, nothing happens. Am I overlooking something here?
Old 10-21-2017, 07:15 PM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any time that you want to switch from one transmitter to another to fly a specific receiver, you must perform the bind procedure again. This a basic characteristic of all 2.4gHz systems.
Pete
Old 10-22-2017, 05:15 AM
Stickslammer

Ok, thanks. He`ll have to work on getting his own fleet of aircraft.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:58 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Binding is the act of making the receiver memorize the unique ID of a particular transmitter. Just like your neighbors garage door button doesn't open your garage, once bound, a 2.4 receiver listens only for signals from the bound transmitter until told do otherwise by rebinding to a different tx.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:44 AM
Stickslammer

Ok. I hadn't put enough thought into it. 2 transmitters cannot share the same info for 1 receiver. It makes sense safety-wise because conceivably I could be flying my Cherokee and my son could pick his receiver up, turn it on, scroll down to that same plane, click on it and..... Whoa,Nellie! Have I got that right?
Old 10-23-2017, 04:38 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Correct.

Each transmitter has a serial number, or GUID, burned into its firmware, GUID means Globally Unique ID.

When you sick a bind plug in a Spektrum RX and put the TX in bind mode, the receiver and transmitter start a sequence of exchanging information (if you've been around computers a while the old modem squaking during dial in was doing the same thing)

Among other things, during this binding sequence the receiver purges any memorized information and then memorizes the GUID of the transmitter it's being bound to along with the model number in the radio. Adding the model number is what Spektrum calls Model Match. Model match prevents you from flying the wrong model with a program for a different plane. So not only does the right radio need to be used but that radio needs to be set to the correct model memory.

When in operation the transmitter sends out packets of information, the first bit of information in that packet is the GUID, then the servo position for each servo, then a checksum. The receivers in use are listening and hear all the packets no matter what radio is transmitting them, but unless that packet contains the GUID that it's bound to the receivers just ignore it. If the GUID matches the receiver checks the packet for errors with the checksum, if thats good it processes the servo position updates and moves the servos then starts looking for the next packet.

This is a pretty basic over view and each manufacturer formats the packets differently which is why Futaba wont work the Spektrum and so on.