Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

XG11 Giving me Fits

Old 03-25-2018, 03:59 AM
tomfiorentino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XG11 Giving me Fits

Hi guys....

I have an XG11 running software version 0002-0012, in case that matters.

50cc Decathlon, 4 wing servos, currently set-up with xBus through JR’s center hub and I got all the parts moving in the right direction.

Standing from behind the plane and going from left to right my aileron servos use ID’s 01, 02, 03 and 04.

I’d like to use 02 and 03 as flaps associated with a Flight Mode. I have a 9503 and having done some pretty decent programming on that transmitter I thought this would be pretty simple.

But I’m at my wits end with the XG11 screens; some blind spot in my logic probably....but I just can’t understand them and the details seem so cryptic to me.

When I go into Wing Type and Device Select screens I would expect to SEE my 4 aileron servos so I can assign 02 and 03 to function differently in say FM01. However, this screen has the ailerons with Aux and Gear channels (which is where the manual stops) and I can’t get things to shake out no matter what Wing Type I select.

I mean, the “ch” GEAR is assigned to “device” AUX2 SW and “out” is LAL1...what the heck?? And the other aileron servos are associated with other channels and devices and outs. I thought the whole point (or one of the points) of xBus was that I could run 4 aileron servos using ONE channel??

Also, since I am using the 3-position switch above throttle to operate a smoke valve, I’m not using that for flaps. I would like to use the Slider Switch behind the throttle to proportionally operate servos 02 and 03 as flaps. Then I can activate that in FM01 with perhaps a throttle condition switch to override flaps. When not in FM01, servos 02 and 03 would just function as ailerons. I recognize this as a very common configuration...but I can’t even get started on it..

I also cant get the two position switch (on the top right hand side) to be able to activate my magneto cut-off switch.

The manual is useless. It basically repeats and shows screen shots of the same transmitter displays I’m looking at. But in terms of situational programming examples (common stuff like 4 servos in the wing) ...nothing.

Would anyone be willing to take a phone call to get me headed in the right direction? I think if I can get started with some foundation for this radio I’ll be ok figuring the rest of it out. I feel so lost right now it’s hard to ask an intelligent question...humbling indeed; and not fun!!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 03-25-2018, 10:28 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When updating from a 7202 to the XG-8... things were very cryptic and believe the manual expected a more current understanding. I muddled through it but and at times struggled and asked questions as you are doing.

Wish I could be of more help. One thing I did wonder from your question, is if you should be looking in the Xbus menu instead of the wing setup for assignment of servos for xbus use. In that regard, I recall that the release firmware for my XG-8 did not include the Xbus menu item but the vs .015 that I later loaded included it. So...if you do not have an Xbus menu item in the TX... a firmware upgrade will probably be needed.

If doing an upgrade... be certain to follow directions to the letter because you don't want to end up with a deaf brick.

Best of luck.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:45 PM
tomfiorentino

Thank you for your response.

Regarding xBus, yes, I have the menus in the transmitter. All the servo programming has been done and the parts are moving in the right direction...except for the flaps, ignition and so forth.

I’ll wait and see if someone else has some insight on how to do what I am trying to set-up. Somebody has done it in xBus I’m sure!

Thanks again,

Tom
Old 03-27-2018, 03:38 PM
tomfiorentino

I’ll try a more specific question; would be great and I would be so appreciative of being able to talk to someone on this.

I clearly have 4 aileron servos programmed with xBus using four sub ids 01, 02, 03, 04.

When I go to the Device Select screen, showing Channel, Device and Out accordingly:

Gear:Aux2 SW:LAL1
Aux2:Aux2 SW: RAL2
Aux3:Aux2 SW:LAL2

1. I don’t know where these assignments came from and/or what they necessarily mean
2. There is no sign of RAL1 on the whole screen
3. Why, if I assigned sub-ID’s on the aileron channel, is the radio occupying Gear, Aux2 and Aux3 channels

Anyone have time to get me pointed in the right direction on this?

Thank you,

Tom
Old 04-01-2018, 06:35 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leaving ganged servos aside for the moment, first program your plane as though the XBus wasn't there. Before going further, how many ailerons are on your plane? If it has two, then you can use the XBus to limit the number of aileron channels to two. If you have four ailerons, the XBus will not reduce the number of aileron channel. You have to use four in your regular programming.

With XBus you can gang up to four servos on one channel. All the ganged servos will act as one. The XBus allows you to match the end points and the center point of the ganged servos. If you need better servo matching then you have to put each of the ganged servos on its own channel.

For a dual aileron plane you will either make the choice of:
1. Set up the plane using the FLAPERON wing type or the Normal wing type with dual ailerons and use the XBus to match the paired ganged servos. OR
2. Set up the plane as a 4-Aile wing type, use the Balance menu and send four channels out to the XBus.

Allan

Last edited by AWorrest; 04-01-2018 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Add the use of Balance menu
Old 04-01-2018, 07:05 PM
tomfiorentino

Thank you Allan!

The wing has 4 ailerons. I would like to use all 4 as ailerons, and then with Flight Mode I would like to use the inner ailerons as flaps while the outer ailerons function as ailerons. Currently, everything is assigned through xBus...using sub ID’s 01, 02, 03 and 04 on the aileron channel.

It is my understanding that Flapperons won’t let me have dedicated flaps.

I’m still very perplexed by the Device Select screen. The channels for Gear, AUX 2 and AUX3 are occupied with aileron OUT. I’ve assigned 4 servos to one channel through xBus, yet the Device Select screen has ailerons assigned to other channels (plus RAL1 is nowhere to be found).

Disregarding that confusion for a minute, should I be using two aileron sub ID’s and then set the two inner ailerons to Flaps? Then, in Flight Mode set up a mix? It would be nice to use a slider switch for the flaps...

I explained my issues to the folks at JR America and they are having one of the factory guys call me...haven’t connected yet.

Thanks again Allan,

Tom
Old 04-02-2018, 01:54 PM
tomfiorentino

Allan,

Actually I saw a post you made in Flying Giants (?) where a guy was asking about “full span ailerons” and functional flaps. While that’s the exact functionality I’m looking for, it wasn’t an xBus setup.

i didn’t want to copy and paste it here...but perhaps you recall that.

anyway, I’m going to mess around with another wing type setup and activate flaps to see if I can’t gain some more understanding.

Regards,

Tom
Old 04-02-2018, 06:31 PM
AWorrest

Tom,

I not sure which posts you are referring to but it might be better to start fresh. As I understand your situation, you have four aileron surfaces, the inner ones are used sometimes as flaps and some time as ailerons. Set up the plane with the Normal wing type having dual ailerons. This can be done using the setup wizard or the Wing Type menu. The reason for choosing this wing type is that the Normal type allows the use of discrete flaps. If the 4-Aile wing type is used, the inner and outer aileron servos in each wing will function as a single servo, not allowing the inner ones to move independently as flaps. With the 4-AILE setup, the two servos in each wing can function as flaperons - but that is not what you want. Similarly, using the Flaperon wing type and then using the XBus to drive the inner and outer servos on each wing is the same as the 4-AILE wing type.

After you setup the ailerons, go to the Wing Type menu and set up dual flaps using the Dual mating on the bottom of the menu. In the Function List there is the AILE -> FLAP menu where you can turn your flaps into ailerons.

I don't know which channels you will mate with the right aileron and right flap as you can pick any channel for the left aileron except for channels 1-4. You shouldn't pick channel 6 (FLAP) as it should reserved for the right flap. In your post you mentioned that you wish to use the FLAP SW for smoke. You still can use the FLAP SYS and pick another three-position switch, such as the AUX2 SW, to control the flaps. It is simpler to use the FLAP SYS instead of a slider. Whatever channels you do pick, you will end up having a total of four channels designated as: RAIL, LAIL, RFLP, and LFLP. This is all done before you get to the XBus.

Check out your complete programming before going to the XBus!

Depending on whether you are using NX servos or serial-to-PWM converter, you will have to do some reprogramming. If you're using NX servos then you will have redesignate them as all the servos come from factory as THRO-01. One at a time you connect a servo and change its designation from THRO-01 to RAIL-01 or LAIL-01 RFLP-01 or LFLP-01.

If you're using a converter, each output is originally THRO but with a different subchannel designation. You will have to plug the converter into an XBus receiver and change its designations to the aileron and flap channels. I've used a four-channel converter, but if you are using something else, I'll have to read up on it.

It is easy to get confused at this point. When you are ready to set up the XBus let me know and I'll post some pictures if needed.

Allan

Last edited by AWorrest; 04-02-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:19 AM
tomfiorentino

Allan!

Most excellent and very helpful! I had been significantly down another road piecing this together, but what you have instructed is much, much simpler. I believe I am very close, finally!

Following your advice and trying to give you all the information you might need, my apologies for the length of this, but here is where I am:

Set WING TYPE to Normal. AILE is mated to AUX3 and FLAP is mated to AUX5.

FLAP SYSTEM is activated, with Norm: 0%, Med: 50%, Land: 100% and Delay: 2.0 s

I am already able to work with the xBus assignments so I went ahead and made some changes. I have NX servos and my current channel and sub ID assignments on the wing standing behind the plane and moving left to right, are as follows:

AILE 01 ; FLAP 01 ; FLAP 02 ; AILE 02

DEVICE SELECT has Flight Mode INH and the following information for CH, DEVICE and OUT respectively (none of which I made any changes to):

GEAR GEAR SW ACT
FLAP FLAP SW SYS
AUX2 AUX2 SW ACT
AUX3 AUX3 LV LAIL
AUX4 RUDD SW ACT
AUX5 SNAP SW LFLP
AUX6 MIX SW ACT

(I think the DEVICE listed is just the transmitter default for the channel shown. Perhaps you can clarify that for me and let me know. I suspect I need to make a change or two in here but wanted your feedback first).

AILE to FLAP MIX details are as follows:

POS 0 L: - 100%
R: + 100%

POS 1 L: 0%
R: 0%

THRO STK is INH and “Include Aile Trim” is ACT

SW SEL – All the FLIGHT MODES are greyed out; P1 is ON, everything else has a zero (I make no changes); I can’t access P0.

THIS IS WHAT MY CONTROL SURFACES ARE DOING AS A RESULT OF THE ABOVE:

1. Aileron stick movement generates movement on all 4 servos and the Flap servos move in the SAME direction (down) regardless of left/right aileron input. Two issues here. ONE: I can’t get the Flaps to move as ailerons when the FLAP SW is all the way forward. TWO: When the FLAP SW is deployed to either of the remaining positions, while the flaps move down correctly at 50% and 100%, I can’t get them to ignore the aileron stick movement.

2. Operating the Flap Switch alone down one click gives 2 second 50% flap deployment, another click gives 2 second 100% flap deployment. This part seems to be working fine and the delay is super cool!

A couple other questions:

1. Since the FLAP SYSTEM is actuated by its 3-position toggle switch, why does the AILE to FLAP MIX only have parameters for POS 0 and POS 1 that correspond to toggle switch positions 2 and 3? Is that just because the first position on the toggle switch is “no flaps” and the other two positions are ways to activate the AILE to FLAP MIX? Is it that simple?

2. More by way of advancing my learning…I am noticing the THRO STK INH feature in the AILE to FLAP MIX screen. I put in a percentage value, and it affected the operation of flaps only at the throttle stick percentage set. I was thinking it would be nicer the other way around such that when the throttle was advanced the Flaps would automatically go back to center. Kind of like when a full flaps landing is suddenly aborted by advancing the throttle! Any thoughts on making that work?

3. Are the items above in DEVICE SELECT in fact just default assignments? Do I need to change anything to clean it up?

4. Should I ACT the “trim” in WING TYPE Normal set-up for both AILE and FLAP?

5. I’m sure I’ll need to use the program mixes for roll and yaw coupling and perhaps ELEV to FLAP too. Will those mixes create issues with the operation of the FLAP SYSTEM as currently deployed?

Looking forward to your response and thank you in advance Allan...again!

Tom
Old 04-03-2018, 09:04 PM
AWorrest

I'm duplicating your program on my transmitter. From the Device Sel, I see that you made the aileron and flap pairings which you said you would. If you wish to use the FLAP SW to control the smoke, you can easily change the switch that controls the FLAP SYS to another. In the Device Sel matrix, the left column designates the channel and the middle column is the controlling device. Click on the FLAP [DEVICE] which is listed as the FLAP SW in your post and you will be presented with other switches that can be used for flap control. If you are only using flight modes to switch between the flaps acting as flaps or as ailerons, I would use the same switch for both flight mode and the FLAP SYS. Unless your plane has retractable landing gear, my choice would be the GEAR SW on the XG11.

When channels are paired, the channel names and functions change. You see this happening in the Device Sel menu that you posted and in all the other menus. The XBus menu which has been upgraded to version 12 will also reflect the changes. Unless something is amiss with your XBus software, after the pairing of the aileron and flap, there will be listed RAIL, RFLP, LAIL and LFLP channels; but, no AILE or FLAP channels will be found. For this reason the normal configuration programming should be done before starting work on the XBus.

So the line up of the wing servos from left to right, looking from the rear should be:
LAIL-01; LFLP-01; RFLP-01; RAIL-01

I arbitrarily chose the #1 subchannel for all the wing servos because it is easier for me to remember than numbers two through four. If you had designated the left aileron servo as LAIL-04, it would still function correctly as the left aileron servo. However any addition programming you did in the XBus menu under the label LAIL-01 would not apply to it.

Concerning the AILE -> FLAP premix SW SEL submenu, the flight modes in the will be greyed out if you haven't set them up first. Go to the Device SEL menu, click on INH under FLIGHT MODE, and pick a flight mode switch. Any three-position switch other than CUSTOM will give you three flight modes. Clicking on CUSTOM, you can have up to six modes.

I normally set the POS0 rates to 0% and the POS1 rates in your case should both be set to +100%. After you have chosen a flight mode switch, set only FM(0) to 1 in the SW SEL submenu. Doing this, the flaps will act as ailerons only when flight mode 0 is active.

The thing to remember about the SW SEL is that when the AND option isn’t checked if any switch is in the position that is marked by a 1, the POS1 rates apply. Otherwise, the POS0 mix rates are used. If the AND is marked, then all the switches that are marked by a 1 have to be in the position marked by the 1 before the POS1 rates are used. If one or more of the marked switches are not in the 1 position, the POS0 rates apply.

In all mixes where you don’t intend to have the throttle stick change the mix rates, make sure the THRO STIK is set to INH and not to zero or some other small number. When the THRO STIK is activated and the stick position is less than the position represented by the THRO STIK number, the POS1 mix rates take affect regardless of the SW SEL setting. If the THRO STIK is set to zero and not INH and you pull back hard on the stick, there may be enough gimbal play that you will unexpectedly get the POS1 mix rates.

The FLAP SYS menu allows pitch and roll correction for each flap position. If you want the flaps to retract when the throttle is advanced, activate AUTO THRO in the FLAP SYS menu. When the throttle stick is advanced beyond the trip point, the flaps, ailerons, and elevator will go to the NORM settings.

Don't change the Device Sel unless you intend to change the settings. The Device Sel you posted is not the default and you don't want it to be. It is what happened after you paired the ailerons and flaps. The default Device Sel doesn't represent an aircraft whose configuration has paired ailerons and flaps.

The aileron and flap trims activated in the Wing Type menu are special trims. The aileron trim in the Wing Type menu makes the ailerons move in the manner of flaperons. The flap trim in Wing Type makes the flaps move in the manner of ailerons. If activated, they will use either the right or left upper center trim levers. The upper left trim lever is the normally used for the normal flap trim. You can disable the normal flap trim in the TRIM SYSTEM menu and use its lever for one of these special trims. Since each of these trims affect both paired surfaces as a unit, they are more convenient than using the SUB TRIM menu at the field. Use them If you feel a need for them. Otherwise I would leave these trims inhibited.

Let me know what switches you chose for the flight mode and FLAP SYS so that I can follow your programming.

Allan

Last edited by AWorrest; 04-03-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:15 PM
tomfiorentino

Allan,

Thank you for another wonderful post! Very helpful...

Here is what I did:

I have selected the FLAP SW for my FLIGHT MODE. Works great. I like that better than what I was thinking originally and I will find a different way to handle smoke. I have also ACT the AUTO THRO in FLAP SYS, set it to 25% for now and it produces the desired effect of retracting flaps when the throttle is advanced, regardless of the position of the FLAP SW. All are producing desired effects.

FYI, I have confirmed that my transmitter has software has version 0002-0012 over in TX SETTINGS.

Question: You indicated in your post that when channels are paired the names and functions change. However, I do not show channels listed as you indicated; RAIL, RFLP, LAIL and LFLP. So maybe something is not right with my xBus? If I understood you correctly, I should see the channels you indicated. I don’t. In DEVICE SEL, I still have AUX3 to LAIL, AUX5 to LFLP and FLAP to SYS with no display for RAIL. Therefore, I am not able to make the wing servo assignments that you have of LAIL-01, LFLP-01, RFLP-01 and RAIL-01. But honestly, I don’t fully appreciate this area yet.

In terms of control surface functioning at this point...FLAPS move properly as FLAPS and the outside ailerons move properly as ailerons....at all FLAP SW settings. However, FLAP-02 (which currently is the right wing panel flap ID, moves the wrong way as an aileron...at any setting. Reversing direction in xBus doesn’t work and I also can’t make the AILE to FLAP mix negative 100%, that doesn’t work either??

Also, not that it matters and just by way of observation on the MONITOR, any time the FLAPS are moving in response to the AUTO THRO stick position setting, they funtion only as flaps. Even when they are fully returned to neutral. The only move as ailerons when the FLAP SW is returned to its top position.

Again...I can’t thank you enough Allan. You could write a XG11 manual!

Tom
Old 04-04-2018, 07:44 PM
AWorrest

Tom,

Before getting to the possible problem with flaps vs ailerons movements, let's make sure the aircraft is configured correctley. If you haven't changed the pairings since post #9, take a look at your MONITOR menu. The Device Sel menu doesn't show the first four channels. The other menus, including MONITOR, do. Your MONITOR should look like mine. If it doesn't, we'll have to discover why.

The menus are a good way of determining what each channel function is vs its channel number. The menus always arrange the channels in a numerical order regardless of their names. In the MONITIOR menu, channel #1 is the upper left corner, below it is channel #2 and so forth. The lower right corner is the last transmitter channel. In the case of the XG11, it is channel #11. In the picture RAIL is on channel 2,, LAIL is channel 8, and LFLP is on channel 10

If the MONITOR checks out, go to the XBus menu in the System List. Not knowing how familiar you are with the XBus, I'll go through it . When you highlight and press the INH, you will be presented with the choice of INH, MODE A, and MODE B. Select MODE A. Then you should get the screen similar to the one in the second picture. Select SERVO/CONVERTER. (You won't have the GYRO option as that was added with 0002-0013.) When you get to the X.BUS FUNCTION screen in the third picture, highlight only the XBus channel name (THRO) in the top line of the third picture and press the selector. If you have been working with the menu beforehand, a different channel may be showing on the top line. Regardless of what the name is, when you press the selector, a submenu, picture four, will appear showing the all the XBUS channel names. They are the same as in the MONITOR screen.

Allan

Last edited by AWorrest; 04-04-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:18 PM
tomfiorentino

Allan,

Looks like my Decathlon is the beneficiary of my insomnia!

I am pretty familiar with the xBus assignments as I have done that before, moving all the ID’s off of the default THRO channel and reassigned ID’s as well. So, I did what you suggested and here is what I have at this point. Below in the first column I listed just my 11 channels, the second column I have listed what is shown on my MONITOR; the third adjacent column I have shown what is listed in the drop down channel box in xBus (everything in the order they appear on the transmitter, disregard the periods (Apple iPad)):

1. THRO THRO
2. RAIL AILE
3. ELEV. ELEV
4. RUDD. RUDD
5. GEAR. GEAR
6. RFLP. FLAP
7. AUX2. AUX2
8. LAIL. AUX3
9. AUX4. AUX4
10. LFLP. AUX5
11. AUX6. AUX6

Tom
Old 04-05-2018, 12:02 PM
AWorrest

Tom,

I realize that your last post was made before I was able to add the pictures to mine. I am stumped that the XBus listings for the channels on your transmitter are as though you hadn't made any pairings. They sure aren't the same as those in the fourth picture of my previous post! If you have your receiver set up for XBus and are willing to reprogram one of your NX servos, set that servo's ID to AUX3-01. I wouldn't think you could even make the a servo have that ID after the aileron pairing. If it is possible to change its ID to the aux3 channel, plug it into the XBus and see if it responds as the left aileron.

Before advising you to reload upgrade version 0002-0012 or loading in version 0002-0013, contact JRAmericas technican and see if they have an idea what's going on.

Concerning the flaps, I'll work on it.

Allan

Last edited by AWorrest; 04-05-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:09 PM
tomfiorentino

Allan,

You know, is it possible that the sequence of this programming is important? In other words, if xBus was already ACT when the pairings were made is it possible that they don’t carry over properly? When I look at it, if my memory serves me correctly, my channel options under the xBus menu haven’t changed. I think I may have had done some xBus work prior to picking up with your post on selecting NORMAL wing and so forth.

So, if that is true, would making xBus INH and then “re-selecting” things in the wing setup and pairings etc., get all that organized, and then go ACT xBus to make those assignments make any difference?

I’m reluctant to try it because I don’t want to mess up the progress!

What do you think?

Tom
Old 04-05-2018, 03:21 PM
tomfiorentino

I just looked at another model version that I have partially programmed. With that model, the xBus menu shows the same as the MONITOR...

So, it is working correctly on an alternate set-up for this model,

That tells me it isn’t my software...would you agree with that?

Tom
Old 04-05-2018, 06:45 PM
AWorrest

Tom,

If you have some blank model spaces, set up a simple model with the NORMAL WING type, activate the XBus, then change the wing type. See if changing the wing configuration after activating the XBus makes any difference. I tried it on mine and it didn't. It didn't make any difference whether I had activated the XBus before or after I changed the wing type. My software is version 0002-0013. There was nothing in that version description that says there was a bug fix for XBus or anything else.

Again if you have the space for another model, why don't you copy the Decathlon program to another model number and take a look at the XBus channels. If it continues to say there is a AILE, AUX3, FLAP and AUX5 instead RAIL, LAIL, RFLP and LFLP, then you could try re-designating the left aileron servo as AUX3-01 and see if it works as the left aileron on the XBus. If it doesn't, I would bet there is no way you can truly have a left aileron on the XBUS. Using AILE-01 as the left aileron is not a good substitute as it is just a copy of AILE-02, the right aileron. It would respond to roll commands correctly but malfunctioned if used as flaperons or with differential use.

The same holds true for the paired flaps on the XBus. When wing servos and the pushrod linkages are symetrical around the roll axis, left and right aileron servos rotate in the same direction for a given aileron stick movement. It is the linkage geometry that makes one aileron surface goes up and the other goes down. But left and right flap servos have to rotate in opposite directions for both flaps surfaces to move in the same direction. Now when the flap servos operate as aileron servos, they must rotate in the same direction. It's the transmitter that makes the adjustment in the direction. On the XBus, FLAP-01, FLAP-2 receive the same basic command. It is probably the same that would be sent to RFLP. If changing AILE-01 ID to AUX3-01 works for the aileron, try changing FLAP-01 ID to AUX5-01 to see if the flaps work correctly as ailerons.

Even if the changes in designations do work, I would still talk with JRAmericas. It would be interesting to know if there was an undocumented bug fix.

I would recommend you temporarily connect the wing servos to the normal receiver ports to work out the programming. When they work there, then switch over to the XBus.

Allan
Old 04-06-2018, 01:57 AM
tomfiorentino

Allan,

My head just exploded! LOL!

I created a new model and change so many things I got a little twisted around. But in the end, my xBus screen shows differently than my MONITOR. If those should stay in sync, or do on your transmitter, then mine is definitely reacting differently.

As to re-designating the left aileron to AUX3. Just to be clear, you want me to change the xBus assignment of my left aileron to AUX3-01? In my case, the LEFT aileron currently has xBus ID AILE-01. Change that to AUX3-01?

And if it works for aileron I should try changing FLAP-01 to AUX5-01 on xBus?

Man....I’m at a loss as to why this is turning out to be so complicated. I would think this is a common wing formation that would have been contemplated in the software.

By the way...is this all working correctly on your monitor? Such that if I could get my xBus channels to agree to my MONITOR (as is the case with your transmitter), everything else works, including the FLAP direction issue?

I’ll call JR America’s today. They have been helpful when I manage to get them, but sometimes they are hard to get in touch with.

Thanks for hanging in there on this with me Allan,

Tom
Old 04-06-2018, 05:45 AM
tomfiorentino

Allan,

JR Americas had directed me to LaDon who had helped me out on this as well at one point.

The thought is that there is potentially one little difference between our transmitter programming that is causing them to behave differently. That may be supported by the fact that I replicated my results when I set up a dummy test model (to go with the dummy test model operator).

By way of suggestion, they said to do the following things, in this order:

1. Email your transmitter set-up for this model so I can copy it to my SD card and load it into my transmitter (pretty confident this will work);

2. If #1 doesn’t work, then upgrade my XG11 to the same version that you have (which I believe is ver 13)? Even though the only change with that is supposedly airplane gyro, he indicated you never know if there is another little change and/or fix in there somewhere that would make a difference;

3. Run the radio over with my truck (my next step) !

So there you have it!

How do you feel about emailing the model you have in your transmitter to see if it runs the same way in my XG11?

Can’t thank you enough Allan....

Tom

Old 04-06-2018, 06:22 PM
AWorrest

Tom,

I'll attach a copy of the program to a post later tonight by incorporating it in a zip file. I hope it won't be as difficult as attaching the pictures in the previous post. The GEAR SW will control both the flight modes and the FLAP SYS. It will be a bare bones program.

Allan

Addendum:

Tom,

The zip files contains two versions of the programming. Decath_0 is the program that I used for posting the pictures. It uses your channel assignments for LAIL and LFLP. The GEAR SW controls both the flight modes and FLAP SYS.

Decath_1 has the paired aileron and flap moved closer to the right aileron and flap positions. It would be possible to use a seven-channel receiver without using XBUS. There is no provision for smoke. I named the flight modes. A stick position switch was added as a select switch to the AILE -> FLAP mix. This switch will couple the flaps to the ailerons when the throttle stick is pushed beyond the 20% mark, the same percentage where the FLAP SYS AUTO THRO kicks in.

The reason the flaps in the original program (Decath_0) remainded uncoupled when the throttle was advanced in FM-1 and FM-2 is that while the AUTO THRO would returned the flaps to the retracted position but it didn't change the flight mode to FM-0, the SEL SW originally set for the AILE -> FLAP mix. There may be a way of arranging the mix rates, the select switches and the THRO STIK so the stick position switch is unnecessary. It is too late at night to think of it now.

BTW, both programs on my transmitter have the same channel names in the MONITOR and the XBus.

Allan
Attached Files
File Type: zip
DECATH_0.zip (14.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by AWorrest; 04-06-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:39 PM
tomfiorentino

Allan,

Well...strangely enough the issue was not having version 13 loaded!!

The first time I loaded both Decath_0 and Decath_1 my MONITOR and xBUS still displayed channels differently. But going through the Version 13 update and re-loading both _0 and _1 did the trick!

Funny, and as you can imagine, when I went to re-assign my wing servos in xBUS they weren’t there . Of course, because now xBus was appropriately showing LAIL, LFLP, RFLP and RAIL. Not being able to select the old ID’s, I used the xBUS reset on all the wing servos; moving them all to the default THRO-01 and then one by one I assigned them to LAIL, LFLP, RFLP and RAIL. Everything is moving properly now!

I ended up using Decath_0 and using the FLAP SW for my FLIGHT MODE...after further thought, I like that better than the GEAR SW (which I will probably use for the smoke valve).

So I should be on my way to getting the rest of my set-up figured out.

Allan...I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your willingness to help me out and guide me through this whole process. You were so very generous with your time and I really appreciate it. You went above and beyond for me; it’s just great! Plus, I learned a lot in the process. If you don’t mind...please PM me with your mailing address...

With much gratitude,

Tom Fiorentino
Old 04-08-2018, 03:45 PM
AWorrest

Tom,

I'm glad that you were able to get the XBus channel nomenclatures to reflect their functions and match those in the MONITOR.

The channel ID stored by the XBus servo and converter harness is probably in the same numeric format used before version 12 upgrade. When I programmed the 4-port XBus converter harness for my sailplane wing, the default names I had to use were LAIL-01, LAIL-02, LAIL-03, and LAIL-04 because in the GLID configuration channel #1 is the left aileron, not the throttle. If changing AILE-01 (left aileron) and FLAP-01 (left flap) to AUX3-01 and AUX5-01 on your transmitter didn't work, it could be that the problem went deeper than the XBus names not corresponding to the names in the MONITOR.

The pleasure was mine in helping. I learnt something new about the XG11.

Allan
Old 01-20-2022, 07:08 AM
shabbirbhagat

your post XG 11 running software version 0002-0012 . This is software from Jr-propo site. your tx , is it the jrx-11 dsm. Did you upgrade your Dsm version with the Jr-propo software? .Also does this software have the stick mode feature. i also have jr x-11 which i converted to mode1 from mode2. i upgraded with 0002-0100 which has the stick mode feature, but the trims elevator and throttle are not working. would be interesting to know from you .
Old 01-20-2022, 12:22 PM
AWorrest

Originally Posted by shabbirbhagat
your post XG 11 running software version 0002-0012 . This is software from Jr-propo site. your tx , is it the jrx-11 dsm. Did you upgrade your Dsm version with the Jr-propo software? .Also does this software have the stick mode feature. i also have jr x-11 which i converted to mode1 from mode2. i upgraded with 0002-0100 which has the stick mode feature, but the trims elevator and throttle are not working. would be interesting to know from you .
I have one of those relatively rare XG11 that is modular. I can use a DSM module but mostly run it as DMSS. You are taking a chance of ruining your DSM JR 11X if you try to install DMSS firmware in it. It is not surprising that the elevator and throttle trims don’t work when you try to switch the stick mode from 2 to 1. I don’t precisely remember why the Stick Mode on the 11X didn’t work when going from mode 2 to 1, but that is probably it. For me, it made no difference as I didn’t want to make that change. The only time I used the Stick Mode menu was to change from mode 2 to mode 4. It made the programming of having rudder and elevator on the right stick for a V-tail RES sailplane easier.

Allan
Old 01-20-2022, 04:17 PM
shabbirbhagat

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge. Also your caution on the incompatibility of the two different softwares is now fully understood by me . Happy flying and loads of luck for you,