Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

12x and Spektrum 12310T flight mode help!

Old 04-19-2021, 03:08 PM
Mark Basel
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12x and Spektrum 12310T flight mode help!

Hello, looking for guidance with a program glitch with my JR 12X and Spektrum 12310T receiver.

Flight mode is on flap switch to allow independent trim setting of ailerons and elevator for normal flight, and separate trims for mid and landing flaps.

I am using a normal mix for sequencing the gear with the gear switch as the master and Aux 7 slaved for the gear doors.

Flight mode works as it should with trims independent of each other in normal, mid and full flaps position.

Mix of the gear switch and aux 7 works as it should for sequencing the gear and doors.

Gear and door sequence works as it should with flap switch in normal position. With gear down and mid flaps and or full flaps selected the mix does not work and gear hits the doors when I try to retract the gear, basically both gear and doors lose the sequencing and actuate at the same time.

moving the flight mode to another 3 position switch does not correct the problem and I lose the trim function.

So, how do I keep the mix active with the flight mode/flap switch activated?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:50 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Basel View Post
Hello, looking for guidance with a program glitch with my JR 12X and Spektrum 12310T receiver.

Flight mode is on flap switch to allow independent trim setting of ailerons and elevator for normal flight, and separate trims for mid and landing flaps.

I am using a normal mix for sequencing the gear with the gear switch as the master and Aux 7 slaved for the gear doors.

Flight mode works as it should with trims independent of each other in normal, mid and full flaps position.

Mix of the gear switch and aux 7 works as it should for sequencing the gear and doors.

Gear and door sequence works as it should with flap switch in normal position. With gear down and mid flaps and or full flaps selected the mix does not work and gear hits the doors when I try to retract the gear, basically both gear and doors lose the sequencing and actuate at the same time.

moving the flight mode to another 3 position switch does not correct the problem and I lose the trim function.

So, how do I keep the mix active with the flight mode/flap switch activated?

Thanks for the help.
First of all, it does not matter what rx you are using as long as it has the Spektrum RF format.
Second, just because you want to do some mixing or what ever with a 12X does not mean it will let you do it. This is old school JR programming and there are things you can, and cannot do.

There are still some guys around here who remember better than I do, but I'll get you started.

The tx has some built in "canned" if you will, mixes. YOU MUST use those and YOU MUST set them up first. In order to do that, you first go into the system menu and make everything above the primary flight controls "INH" or inhibit. Then setup your "Wing Type" for ailerons, flaps etc. The radio will automatically assign channels for that operation and YOU CANNOT CHANGE THEM. Don't whine about it, just deal with it. A point of order; IF you do not use the Flap System in the radio, you will not be able to compensate for the speed at which the elevator responds to the nose down input you need for flap deployment. You want that? There is no other way around it.

Now you can start playing with the other mixes you want. Be aware that the numbered mixes do not always allow what you might want to match up. Also, there are restrictions on each mix about which other "port" you can use in the mix. IIRC, the only two mixes that will let you select any other "port" are 5 and 9. Even then if the radio has used the channel you want for something else, you cannot change that or the previously setup mix will not work.

Remember that the mixes are prioritized and if you have a conflict, the higher priority mix will prevail.

Last hint for tonight; when you get something working, back it up. EG, if you get the dual elevators working back it up. When you get say the flaps or ailerons working, back it up on top of the previous save. This is because you will make mistakes and if you do not backup what you have that's working, it'll be gone when you start over and you WILL start over numerous times, this is because there is no way the manual can cover all the possibilities so you will have to experiment in order to find out what the radio will and won't do.

It's a pain in the butt to learn but once learned, it's one of the best radios I've ever owned and I still have one. I fly my gassers and one Turbine with......

Last edited by Zeeb; 04-19-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:32 AM
Mark Basel

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
First of all, it does not matter what rx you are using as long as it has the Spektrum RF format.
Second, just because you want to do some mixing or what ever with a 12X does not mean it will let you do it. This is old school JR programming and there are things you can, and cannot do.

There are still some guys around here who remember better than I do, but I'll get you started.

The tx has some built in "canned" if you will, mixes. YOU MUST use those and YOU MUST set them up first. In order to do that, you first go into the system menu and make everything above the primary flight controls "INH" or inhibit. Then setup your "Wing Type" for ailerons, flaps etc. The radio will automatically assign channels for that operation and YOU CANNOT CHANGE THEM. Don't whine about it, just deal with it. A point of order; IF you do not use the Flap System in the radio, you will not be able to compensate for the speed at which the elevator responds to the nose down input you need for flap deployment. You want that? There is no other way around it.

Now you can start playing with the other mixes you want. Be aware that the numbered mixes do not always allow what you might want to match up. Also, there are restrictions on each mix about which other "port" you can use in the mix. IIRC, the only two mixes that will let you select any other "port" are 5 and 9. Even then if the radio has used the channel you want for something else, you cannot change that or the previously setup mix will not work.

Remember that the mixes are prioritized and if you have a conflict, the higher priority mix will prevail.

Last hint for tonight; when you get something working, back it up. EG, if you get the dual elevators working back it up. When you get say the flaps or ailerons working, back it up on top of the previous save. This is because you will make mistakes and if you do not backup what you have that's working, it'll be gone when you start over and you WILL start over numerous times, this is because there is no way the manual can cover all the possibilities so you will have to experiment in order to find out what the radio will and won't do.

It's a pain in the butt to learn but once learned, it's one of the best radios I've ever owned and I still have one. I fly my gassers and one Turbine with......
thanks for the insight, much appreciated.

To start the canned mixes, 62-64 they are not active.
Already have the type of aircraft and wing type set, works as they should
flap system active, with wing type, has to be with the flight mode I'm using
mixes 51-53 are normal mixes
54-58 can be normal or curved, only using normal for all mixes I have. Curved mixes changes things from liner, wont work for what i need.
using mixes on 51-56, will look at the fifth mix and see if it will work better for my gear/aux7 mix,maybe try it on the 8th mix and see if it will change anything, there is no 9th mix just 8 so assuming thats what you meant by mixes 5 and 9
and Yes ive backed up the basic program and using a copy to try different things, so far nothing fixes the mix cancel with the flight mode. I did try moving the the gear/aux 7 mix to mix number 51 the first of 3 normal mixes, no change. Has to be something simple, maybe aux 7 not being a control surface channel or port is the issue, might try using other aux channel mixes and see if that makes a difference.

thanks again for the help😁

Old 04-20-2021, 07:48 AM
Mark Basel

To make a long story short. Im programming ailerons and flaps to a Avonds F-16. Flys great with stabilators but with ailerons and flaps added takes a number of mixes to not have y harnesses for the ailerons and flaps. Plan was to fly on stabs first and slowly add ailerons to the stabs and also use flaps, thats why the flight mode. Could go to a conventional wing and stabs as elevators only, it would eliminate a couple mixes but what fun is that🤪
Old 04-20-2021, 03:51 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Basel View Post
To make a long story short. Im programming ailerons and flaps to a Avonds F-16. Flys great with stabilators but with ailerons and flaps added takes a number of mixes to not have y harnesses for the ailerons and flaps. Plan was to fly on stabs first and slowly add ailerons to the stabs and also use flaps, thats why the flight mode. Could go to a conventional wing and stabs as elevators only, it would eliminate a couple mixes but what fun is that🤪
You're making my head hurt..... lol

What you want may not be do able. I had to put a Matchbox on, I think it's the rudders, to get my KingCat setup to work. Setting the flaps to match each other was just a witch so I had to have two separate channels for that.

I went from the 12X to a DX18 and didn't like that very much, too big for my hands so I went to a Futaba 18MZ. That radio will do almost any damn thing you can come up with, BUT it's less user friendly programming than the 12X. From there to a DX20 which I quite like but haven't used it much. Then I bought an iX20 and I am NOT impressed. The failure of Horizon/Spektrum to address the needs of the modelers who wish to fly larger models than all this BNF stuff they're cranking out pushed me to the CORE system which I'm now trying to learn.

You'd have a better chance to accomplish what you want with any of those radios from the DX18 on.

Any way, back to the problem at hand; suggest you create another new model with basic settings, no dual ailerons, elevators, flaps, retracts etc. Then check the device manager settings (I had to dig my radio out) and see if that #9 setting is available. It's not showing up on mine as there are a couple of mixes above that and I suspect it's because that #9 is being used by one of the other mixes I have.

If it's there, then go ahead and INH all those higher channels above the four primary functions and start adding "must haves" not "wants" at this point. I suspect that you may wind up putting in a Matchbox, probably on your flaps as I'm not big on Match boxing the elevators on something like that. In the case of my KingCat, the flaps on that are absolutely HUGE compared to what your F16 has so you might get away with that possibility. You can monkey with matching those up mechanically and the Matchbox will do some of that for you. Then go ahead and add the gear. Don't mess with Flight Modes yet.

Once you get the basics working, then go ahead and see if you can make some of the other stuff work. If you cannot make it work, there's not much chance you can setup a Flight Mode that will make it possible. The only way you'll figure it out is as you've done; by experimenting....

Last edited by Zeeb; 04-20-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:41 PM
Mark Basel

Success!!!!!!!!! It was something very simple!! When I was setting up the sequencing for the gear and doors, using the servo speed function I did that before I applied the flight modes There was no option on the servo speed screen for the flight modes then. I went back to the servo speed screen after setting up the flight mode and Viola! there were options for servo speeds for EACH flight modes 0, 1, and 2! Just what I needed!!! activated the sequencing for Mode 0 which is flaps up for normal flight, Mode 1 for takeoff or mid flaps and Mode 2 for full flaps. Wish I would have seen that yesterday

Anyway thanks for the help and keep them flying!

mark

Last edited by Mark Basel; 04-20-2021 at 05:16 PM.